585,956 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Question for anyone with one of the ebay Chinese 200x300mm 40W laser engravers

Question for anyone with one of the ebay Chinese 200x300mm 40W laser engravers

Anyone out there with one of the ebay Chinese 200x300mm 40W laser engravers like this one:
    CO2 Laser Cutter ENGRAVER Cutting Machine Support Corel Draw w Air Assist 40W | eBay

Been looking at these for a while and cannot see how the focus length is adjusted. According to some of the auctions they can engrave on up to ~2" thick material. Been looking at all the photos and just don't see how it's adjusted. On the 300x500mm machines there is a nice set of screws that move the bed up and down.

Want to use a honeycomb to support some thin sheeting but not sure if this machine can be adjusted up the 1" the comb will take up.

Thanks,
    Wire

Re: Question for anyone with one of the ebay Chinese 200x300mm 40W laser engravers

don't waste your money on a 500 dollar laser, there more trouble then there worth.

Re: Question for anyone with one of the ebay Chinese 200x300mm 40W laser engravers

Actually looking at the $700-800 version of that same machine. Same mechanical just has the air assist and some other minor bells and whistles.

This is only going to be used for a hobby and I am on a budget so a $2500 full spectrum unit is out of the running. I know the software is crap but was planning on replacing the motion control anyway (Need a Gcode driven machine) so mostly buying it for the mechanical, steppers, and laser tube.

Still trying to figure out if the bed is adjustable or not. Photos look like not but description says it can engrave up to 2". Wish someone made the 300x500 machines without all the extras (basically just the stripped down unit with the 10" adjustable bed and the crappy motion control electronics) for a price point around $1400 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by wireb View Post
    Actually looking at the $700-800 version of that same machine. Same mechanical just has the air assist and some other minor bells and whistles.

This is only going to be used for a hobby and I am on a budget so a $2500 full spectrum unit is out of the running. I know the software is crap but was planning on replacing the motion control anyway (Need a Gcode driven machine) so mostly buying it for the mechanical, steppers, and laser tube.

Still trying to figure out if the bed is adjustable or not. Photos look like not but description says it can engrave up to 2". Wish someone made the 300x500 machines without all the extras (basically just the stripped down unit with the 10" adjustable bed and the crappy motion control electronics) for a price point around $1400 shipped.
    I would hazzard a guess and say there is a way to move the bed up and down a few inches, most machines have a way to move the bed or move the lens, this is how you focus your laser without a way to move one or the other the laser is useless. I'd still advise against a cheap ebay laser even the reps from the companies that make them will tell you there junk . Look at automation technology they have machines in your budget range.

I have one of these lasers. The bed does not move (at least not on mine). I modified the unit so that I can manually raise and lower the bed. This was done by building a square frame to hold the honeycomb bed material. Removed the bed that came with the unit, and fastened the new bed with 4 threaded rods that are attached to the bottom of the laser cutter. I made 4 threaded adjusters on my cnc router that can be spun either up or down to adjust the height of the bed. It takes less that 20 seconds to change the bed height. Simple fix for a small problem.

Milt

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    I have one of these lasers. The bed does not move (at least not on mine). I modified the unit so that I can manually raise and lower the bed. This was done by building a square frame to hold the honeycomb bed material. Removed the bed that came with the unit, and fastened the new bed with 4 threaded rods that are attached to the bottom of the laser cutter. I made 4 threaded adjusters on my cnc router that can be spun either up or down to adjust the height of the bed. It takes less that 20 seconds to change the bed height. Simple fix for a small problem.
    I guess this is just one of the reasons among many that even the manufacture's sales people don't recommend you buy one.

Milt
    I guess this is just one of the reasons among many that even the manufacture's sales people don't recommend you buy one.

Milt
    Thanks that was what I was looking for!

BigBird48---I have had this unit for over 2 years, converted it to a DSP after using it for 6 months, Total cost to me has been about 1200.00 dollars. Find me a unit, anywhere, for $1200.00 that has a DSP and I will purchase it. I now have everything that I need to make a laser cutter with a larger build platform if I so desire. I am not trying to make light of the fact that it is a very cheap laser and needs help to be a good laser. But, it is a good starting platform for those of us who do not have the 'big bucks' to buy from the guys that like to make 'big profits' on their machines.

BigBird48---I have had this unit for over 2 years, converted it to a DSP after using it for 6 months, Total cost to me has been about 1200.00 dollars. Find me a unit, anywhere, for $1200.00 that has a DSP and I will purchase it. I now have everything that I need to make a laser cutter with a larger build platform if I so desire. I am not trying to make light of the fact that it is a very cheap laser and needs help to be a good laser. But, it is a good starting platform for those of us who do not have the 'big bucks' to buy from the guys that like to make 'big profits' on their machines.
    Hey thats great and a good place to stART if you have the knowledge and ability to make the necessary changes. If yur very tech savy and very mechanically apt then by all means by a cheap machine and do all the upgrading yourself. But if your not that savy there are decent machines for under 3k just one to consider
    STORM: CO2 Laser Cutter and Engraver 35W, about 22″ x 14″
    $2,39900
    - See more at: Automation Technology Inc

Actually, that looks like a nice machine. Has everything one needs built in. I just wonder how much the shipping would be? Only thing I see is that they could have made it 24 x 14 to accommodate the normal size sheets of material that one can buy. Nice machine though.

Actually, that looks like a nice machine. Has everything one needs built in. I just wonder how much the shipping would be? Only thing I see is that they could have made it 24 x 14 to accommodate the normal size sheets of material that one can buy. Nice machine though.
    I'm not sure what materials you work with but the laser can cut and engrave a multitude of materials. I use a lot of 12 x12 baltic birch, I also use 4x4 4x6 6x6 8x8 12 x12 tiles, I use leather of varying size's , I also use round wood round mirrors of sizes from 6" all the way up to 12" in dia. so suggesting they could have made it to accommodate your size is kinda .... well you know. Remember bed size has a price, you can buy the lg 6040 which has a bed of 24 x 16 and will accommodate you but you pay more.

Most baltic birch and many of the dual layer plastics are sold in sheets of 12" x 24". Of course, smaller pieces can be used in any laser. 12" x 24" is a standard size for a lot of the material that I have purchased. Yes, I have also purchased 12 x 12 and 6 x 6. But to save money, one should always buy the largest sheet that will fit there machine. No one sells a sheet 14" x 22", it is just not a standard size. Just saying, and putting in my 2 cents. Probably not even worth that.

Milt

Most baltic birch and many of the dual layer plastics are sold in sheets of 12" x 24". Of course, smaller pieces can be used in any laser. 12" x 24" is a standard size for a lot of the material that I have purchased. Yes, I have also purchased 12 x 12 and 6 x 6. But to save money, one should always buy the largest sheet that will fit there machine. No one sells a sheet 14" x 22", it is just not a standard size. Just saying, and putting in my 2 cents. Probably not even worth that.

Milt
    actually baltic birch comes in sheets 5' x 5' to most vendors and they cut it into sheet sizes they normally sell to their customers. I buy mine from woodworkers source ,I go in grab a full sheet and have them cut it into 12x12 for me, sometime I have it cut different for special projects but mostly 12 x 12. I would imagine you could go to your vendor and have them cut what ever size you wanted . But I'd fathom no matter what your laser bed size and no matter how you have your sheets cut your still gonna have some waste.

Well, I get mine from Michaels Craft store and another store online and it come is 12 x 24. But it doesn't, because as you say, there is always some waste. I get mine from Michaels, as I can get mine with a 40% discount as my wife works there. Costs me about $2.50 a sheet. Where is this place where you get yours? Always interested in new sources

Milt

Mondom I get my Baltic birch from woodworkerssource its a much better grade of birch then what Michele's or HD carries and the price is cheaper, well cheaper for me I don't get 40% off but even for you its only a few bucks more and thats shipped to your door. Your paying $31.25 for 25 sq ft of birch you can have a better grade sent to your home for
    $39.50 and if you live near one of there store and join their Rosewood club you csan buy it for 21 dollars a sheet like I do.