585,927 active members*
3,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Quality question: Tormach TTS Boring Head?

Quality question: Tormach TTS Boring Head?

How is the quality of the TORMACH TTS Boring Head?
    I need a boring head for my Tormach, and there's a huge difference between the cheap 'Chinese' sloppy, stripped screw Boring Heads,
    and a nice, tight, quality Boring Head like Criterion or Kaiser.
    So how is TORMACH's?
    Who actually manufactures it?
    Is the adjustment made by a direct fine-thread screw, or by the cheap 'Slotted-Screw' gimmick of the Chinese knockoffs?
    Please advise.

Re: Quality question: Tormach TTS Boring Head?

I can take a look at the screws, if necessary, tomorrow.

Right now I can say I have the Tormach boring head and a Criterion I bought used off eBay. The Criterion is MUCH better quality. If I ever need to use two boring heads at the same time for some reason I will probably opt to buy another Criterion than use the Tormach one I already have.

I haven't used mine so can't vouch for the quality but it has a micrometer style adjustment with hex head. It is '09 vintage and I am not sure if they have changed anything since then. The pictures on their website show the same as I have.

I have the Tormach one with the Tormach HSS boring bars.
    I would say it is the same relatively cheap Chinese version you see for sale everywhere with a TTS head screwed on the top.
    It worked OK but there was some good back-lash and you have to really make sure it is locked into position firmly. I had to do numerous test cuts to get it where I wanted and when I did, on the subsequent parts I had to adjust it a little. This may have a little to do with the HSS bar wearing a tad but is mostly because the Boring head to TTS is not a tight fit on mine and kept unscrewing a little. Enough to affect my tolerance.
    It ended up working for my needs and I think is priced fairly well.
    If I end up doing lots of boring, I will defineltly look into a better setup.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    How is the quality of the TORMACH TTS Boring Head?
    I need a boring head for my Tormach, and there's a huge difference between the cheap 'Chinese' sloppy, stripped screw Boring Heads,
    and a nice, tight, quality Boring Head like Criterion or Kaiser.
    So how is TORMACH's?
    Who actually manufactures it?
    Is the adjustment made by a direct fine-thread screw, or by the cheap 'Slotted-Screw' gimmick of the Chinese knockoffs?
    Please advise.

Whatever you get, don't rely on a cheap $20-40 set of boring bars. There is a reason why a single Criterion boring bar costs the same as a whole set of imports. If you are looking at very small boring bars, look for the solid carbide ones for added rigidity.

The brazed carbide ones they throw in with the boring bar sets like they are crackerjacks prizes are complete junk.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

That makes sense.
    I have a 1/2" HSS insert boring bar I use on my lathe I will try next.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Whatever you get, don't rely on a cheap $20-40 set of boring bars. There is a reason why a single Criterion boring bar costs the same as a whole set of imports. If you are looking at very small boring bars, look for the solid carbide ones for added rigidity.

The brazed carbide ones they throw in with the boring bar sets like they are crackerjacks prizes are complete junk.

You do realize those need to be sharpened on a diamond wheel before you use them? Once sharpened they work fine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

RussMachine, why not just buy the P/N 31801 - TTS Boring Arbor.

The TTS Boring Arbor has 7/8-20 UNF threads and costs $36.41 plus shipping, then you can buy the quality of boring head (Criterion or Kaiser) you require or desire.

David

I agree, those cheap things bend like limp noodles, get one good tool instead of a pile of crap.

RussMachine, why not just buy the P/N 31801 - TTS Boring Arbor.then you can buy the quality of boring head (Criterion or Kaiser
    That's how I'm leaning right now.
    I was just curious about the TORMACH's quality. (Cheap Chinese or good ?).
    It's looking like I should probably get a Criterion along with the TTS arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    You do realize those need to be sharpened on a diamond wheel before you use them? Once sharpened they work fine.
    Even sharpened, I have had bad luck with them. Except the ones with the largest diameter shaft, they deflect too much while cutting making it difficult to get an accurate bore.

Hence my statement of looking for carbide shaft if you need to bore out a small hole.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Search for: Criterion boring head attachment.

These are indexable, I have used these boring head bars with good results