585,930 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Pushing the limits of the Samson 510 CNC plasma table
Page 1 of 2 12

Pushing the limits of the Samson 510 CNC plasma table

Hi, I am a newbie to all of this, having purchased my 510 table 3-1/2 years ago, and then allowing it to sit in the crate, unopened for two years before finally assembling it and allowing it to sit in the room for another full year. Too many interruptions!

Now I am several months into working with my table. I have not YET hooked up my HyperTherm PowerMax 85 plasma cutter. There is no ventilation in the room yet. So I have been working with routers, pens and other tools, using the carriage to see what the machine can do.

I figured out quick and painless way to mount a Sharpie PAINT Pen to the carriage to get the machine to draw out images for cutting with a jigsaw or whatever.

check out the video

Re: Pushing the limits of the Samson 510 CNC plasma table

Awesome JOE!

It never ceases to amaze me how versatile a plasmacam can be. Realistically, you could probably put any type tool that you want on the system. The servo motors on the plasma cam definitely make a difference when it comes to using multiple tools, especially the router apart from plasma.

Your pen holder is absolutely sweet! I made one once (not sure where I put it) with a small piece of PVC, a low tension spring and a slightly modified torch holder. But yours, by far, is way cooler (I love how it is mounted on the side).

Keep it up Joe and thanks for showing us the vid.

JAG

Wait until I create my first oil painting with the Samson 510 table. I am going to use several paint pens and lay down a full oil painting one layer at a time, and see how elaborate I can make it. Oh ... and one of these days, I'm going to hook up the plasma cutter!

Joe,

I hate to say it..but oddly enough....about year and half ago, I came across a website showing projects done by students from a fine arts school using unique tools. And you'll never believe what I noticed:

These were all apparently done with a plasmacam machine:

Attachment 267626

Attachment 267628

Attachment 267630

I experimented with the 3D capability of the Samson 510 table tonight. This is a quick and dirty cutout of Charlie Chaplain, in MDF.

That is awesome Joe! There is no doubt that with plasmacam's 3d program, you can produce a ton of amazing things. You can even make a full 3d object by thinking just slightly out of the box.... the software and machine are capable of so much that many people may not realize how great and versatile the plasmacam cutting system can be.

Here is a complete 3d object that you can do entirely with the plasmacam on their 3d program (one of the really neat things about a plasmacam machine is that if you know what you are doing, it can do a lot of the stuff a 3d printer can do as well):

Attachment 268150

- JAG

I played with the halftone routing capabilities too.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaMac View Post

Here is a complete 3d object that you can do entirely with the plasmacam on their 3d program (one of the really neat things about a plasmacam machine is that if you know what you are doing, it can do a lot of the stuff a 3d printer can do as well):

- JAG
    Now please show me how you did THAT with a PlasmaCam!

It is actually pretty simple!

Simply design a full 3d object, divide it in half within the 3d program (so that the top and bottom are are separated into two different objects) then import the 3d dxf or .stl file. Cut or route out one side, flip over the material and make sure to aline every thing perfectly so that when you route the other half it completes the full 3d dimensional object.

If you play around with some of the more advanced functions within Desigedge, you'll find that you actually specific portions of a 3d file by specifying the view (from 0 to 360 degrees) of the drawing that you wish to import. This will allow you to import different segments of a 3D model and allow you to import the top and bottom part of the 3d object without having to edit or "slice" your model. You can also use this function in order to cut the various 2d dimensional pieces that can assemble a full 3 dimensional object.

Another fun thing that you can do is to design a 3d model and export it in a stereolithography file format or .stl file (Standard Tessellation Language). Plasmacam's DesignEDGE will fully accept a .stl file!! This type of file format is typical used for rapid prototyping on layered printing operations (3d) and is configured in 2 dimensional layers that complete a 3 dimensional model. In other words you can essentially cut the 2d pieces on the plasmacam machine and "stack" the pieces in order to assemble a complete 3d object. This is not only great for rapid prototyping operations, but is also useful for making some pretty fantastic works of art in a relatively easily manner!

This image provides the best example of the results:

Attachment 268390

It is absolutely mind blowing, how many things that you can do with the plasmacam machine and designedge!

I am beginning to realize that many of the truly fantastic things in life (and with the plasmacam machine) that may seem out of this world.... are relatively simple and are typically right under your nose. With the plasmacam at your disposal, as long as you have an imagination, pretty much anything is possible!!

Good luck and have fun, Joe!

JAG

Still pushing myself. Here is tonight's effort.

Tonight's project - Sandra Bullock!

Follow me on PINTEREST.COM

Samson 510 CNC on Pinterest

Tonight's project is a larger image of a group of friends. It consists of over 25,000 points and will take 10.8 hours to cut. it should be finished by 12:30 AM, Saturday morning. Of course, I will post a photo of the results.

Son of a gun, Joe!

That image pointillism program works does it? Man, I tried something similar with an iphone pic about three years ago....but man...some of the stuff you're playing with is way cooler....

Alright Joe...you are inspiring me to stop using my plasmacam for protyping firearms and and start playing with art work again!!!

JAG

Son of a gun, Joe!

That image pointillism program works does it? Man, I tried something similar with an iphone pic about three years ago....but man...some of the stuff you're playing with is way cooler....

Alright Joe...you are inspiring me to stop using my plasmacam for protyping firearms and and start playing with art work again!!!

JAG

I am glad you are enjoying my mad experiments. I tried to cut Cameron diaz tonight, but I sete the machine to cut too deep, and then there was this power outage ...

Two lessons learned tonight:

1. Check deepest cut depth

2. Set machine and computer to run on uninterruptible power source!

Attachment 270500

Jag:cheers:

Samson 510 cutting Sandra Bullock using DesignEdge software.

I am getting better!

Eastwood is done! 39,963 individual points, drilled one ... at ... a .... time ...and 20 ... per ... minute...

Page 1 of 2 12