584,837 active members*
5,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Problems getting V26 to compute groove tool paths

Thumbs up Problems getting V26 to compute groove tool paths

I have used Bobcad V26 for my mill for the last few months. It was fairly easy getting used to and seemed to work really well.

Now the Lathe on the other hand, I am having nothing but problems with. The grooving function seems to be especially troublesome.

To top it off, I've had the software a few months now and Bobcad seems to have the policy of: if you don't pay for support then your screwed, even if
    the program has glitches.

Just curious if anyone else is having issues with the lathe module?

Bobcad won't even give me the update they just released for Version 26.

Re: Problems getting V26 to compute groove tool paths

To my knowledge the last update was back in April.Yes,you must have support,,and yes opinions of that have been stated before on here.
    I do not use the Lathe side of BoB,but a quick search of the forum reveals this http://www.cnczone.com/forums/search...archid=2554021

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't mind buying support if I needed help running the program but when the product they sell me does not work THEY should step up and take care of it! They will get no future business from me. I guess I got what I paid for. Cheap un useable software. May have to go back to Ezcam for the lathe .

I think it depends on how you approach the job with BC grooving, it isn`t as straight forward as it possibly should be but some folks seem to be coping with it OK, upload a file and someone may be able to help you with it

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

If the tool path is anything but square you MUST UNcheck 'use canned cycle'. It can only program discrete. eg filets or tapered walls.
    Yup they now charge for midlife updates (v26.5) they call it support. I'll watch the price of v27 when it starts to drop I'll dive in cause v27.5 is just around the corner and my support will be in effect. The $200 price isnt too bad if it fixes what you need.

I think I'm going to have to buck up for the support. I finally got around the grooving issue in the program by making the chains I wanted grooved into a contour. I guess that tricks the program and then it will generate the tool paths. It is definitely way harder than it should be. The hours spent yesterday are time and money so I guess its time to call bobcad, pay the money, and hope that they can deal with some of the issues.

Bob lathe can be kind of tricky it does not like some things and as you found out, get rid of all other geometry my putting the groove on its own layer and then try it again, it will sometimes then pick up the geometry and calculate the tool path you have to make it a separate tool path all by it's lonesome.

It does not play well with others and it is probably a bit safer .