584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > problem with Partmaster Cam
Page 1 of 2 12

problem with Partmaster Cam

Hello everyone, i am new, and I just purchased Dolphin Partmaster, I am trying to do my first part, and I am getting an error when i try to do a custom contour off my drawing from Partmaster Cad, this is the error that i get, under User Defined for anything, contour, drilling, etc.

The external command file "ContourCustom.dll" exists but could not be loaded. Dcam is unable to run the command.

Anyone have any experience with this, or am i doing something wrong?

Re: problem with Partmaster Cam

I haven't seen that before. Maybe a computer boot will help. If not, then try a repair or modify installation from the Control Panel. That usually helps with little glitches in various software.
    Lee

I like Partmaster and think it has a lot of potential but I just received my license to Partmaster yesterday and it crashed the program. Demo ran fine but when I installed my activation license it crashed the "cam" side of things. The cad side still works and seems to be activated but the cam side will not work. Two calls to Dolphin support but they haven't returned any calls yet. Right now I'm out of the money I spent and have software that no longer works. I feel like the software has a lot of bugs. The simulator wouldn't work in the demo for several days then all of a sudden started working fine. Go figure........

Rest assured Jim you are definitely being taken care of. We are just waiting from the licensing tech who happened to be out the past few days. You are by no means being ignored.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

I just received my new license file this AM. I copied it from the email to the folder that it normally looks for it at. That is in your documents under Partmaster.
    Then I clicked on Help in Cam. License manager.
    Then top left, License. Then install license file.
    I haven't had any issues with it.

I find that the email support is good and my preferred method of communication. That way I have a record of the conversation for future use if needed.
    I am certain they will get you fixed up though. Support has always been good from them for me.

What kind of setup are you running. Mine is Win 7 64 Bit.
    Lee

Thanks for the response. I have contacted your reseller, "TL" who asked me to resend another license request. I think he is helping from his end. Seems that I screwed it up when I did a reinstall when the cam side crashed. Trying to fix the problem myself and didn't know you couldn't do that. At least I have a fully working demo to play with until the license comes again. I am running Partmaster on a Win 7 Home Edition system. Do I possibly need to be running it in a "compatibility mode" for XP?

I am running Win 7 64 bit Home Edition. Are you running in a compatibility mode for XP? Saw something somewhere else in the forum about that.

That is actually what it was set for. I had it set that way for my old version 10 and I guess the new installation of V13 kept it that way. I may revert back to no compat mode. Do Run as Administrator though, regardless. That can save some headaches.
    Lee

Just noticed that the simulator isn't working again since I reloaded the demo. Don't know why it suddenly started working before (see previous post). I am attaching screenshots of the errors. Anyone have any ideas?

Does your part simulate correctly in 2D on the Cam side?
    Support is working on a different error in 3D sim for me now. Mine is likely a setting somewhere. I'll let you know what they find out. I would send them an email at support and include your Cam file.

This 3D sim software is Moduleworks. The same used for other High End CAM software.
    Lee

The parts simulate perfectly in the 2D side. Files that were simulating perfectly in 3D two days ago also do not work now. It's got to be a setting somewhere. I must have accidentally hit the correct button when the simulator was working but lost it since my re-install. FRUSTRATING! Tried administrator mode, no help there.

I'll keep you posted when I get a reply. I just emailed them around lunch. They usually reply within a day.
    One Guy did reply and he sent it on to the programmer to get an answer, so they are working on it.
    Lee

Got the simulator working perfectly! For me it was in the settings on my graphics control card. I have an Intel 4 series graphics controller. I went into the graphics options, "3d control" and set the "vertex processing" option from "default" to "Application" control. Instantly started working! You may want to check your controller options....

Glad to hear you have it resolved.

Mine is an Nvidia Geforce 210. It was already set that way in the settings.
    This is my actual error.

"Profile tolerance larger than toolradius"

I do think this is just a setting somewhere.
    It does it for all my files, so has to be something I am overlooking.
    No real rush on it for me. They will get it sorted out.

I am used to using just the 2D sim.
    Lee

I ran in to something like that. Had to choose a smaller, or was it larger tool diameter

I am using 3/16" and 1/4" drill bits and a .0625 width carbide parting tool.
    The bar is 3/8" and 9/16 up to 3/4". It should be able to simulate that. Not everything is as big as a railroad wheel.
    Lee

There is apparently an issue with small tools in ModuleWorks on the inch side. I did change the sizes of the bits and got them to simulate a time or two.
    Received word back from support. They suggest to immediately change it to metric right before 3D simulation. Everything still works the same in the simulation. Save your CAM and Gcode files first though. Then simulate. Works fine that way.
    They mentioned that ModuleWorks is working on a solution.
    Lee

Kind of buggy isn't it. Wish I'd went with cambam

Sometimes it's a matter of a few PC settings. Unfortunately, we have tried the last couple of days to contact you and do a teamviewer and sort out your issues, but reached you at bad times. We're willing to help early Monday morning if you are available.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Yeh, well some people have a job and can't be in front of their computers all day. I'll be at work again Monday. Why are we having this discussion here in a public forum? You have my phone number and email address. There shouldn't even be a need for this discussion period! Nuff said.......

Page 1 of 2 12