585,727 active members*
4,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Unhappy Problem with MX3660

My MX3660 will not power up. Hoping someone can help me out.

So....... the story........... I was working on getting my machine ready to run a simple test program. Had to get it to read arc movements right. put the machine into e-stop and made changes. released the e-stop and reloaded the program, all was working right. Next I went to figure out how to put the Z axis to a certain position for manual TTS tool changes. put machine into e-stop again and went to get info from web. made change in one of the screens (Don't remember which one).

When I released the e-stop there was a flash from my control box. That's when I found the PSU was dammaged.

So I dug up the $$$ for a new PSU and got everything setup in a new control box that has more room to grow. But now the MX3660 will not power up at all. All LED's are dark!(nuts)

I did take the MX3660 apart to look for damage and saw none from when the old PSU blew.

Please, can someone advise me on what\where to look for issues in the MX3660. There is power up to it, I checked to make sure.

Thanks
    Andrew

Re: Problem with MX3660

I had an issue when I was originally hooking mine up. I blew an SMD fuse. I bought some on ebay and repaired it. Has worked fine. I have a few if you need. I think I had to buy 10 on ebay for an insignificant amount of money. Postage probably exceeded the parts prices.

When having the problem I wrote Leadshine here in CA. I was also having an issue understanding spindle speed configuration. They were very helpful and concerned about my opinion. I have since been written more than once to check if I was still having issues. I was even extended an offer to test the MX4660. I was flattered, I asked if they were testing for just how stupid can 1 be and still get a controller working?

As a courtesy to him, I will pm my contact at Leadshine to you.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Check your pm's

got the info and emailed him.

Could you point me in the direction of the fuses you had trouble with?

Thanks,
    Andrew

I will and I can mail you a few also.

Alright Fastest1, I think my fuses on the MX3660 are toasted! I took my multi-meter to the two next to the power connector and get no beeps.

Is this what you had happen to you? Should I be worried it will damage my new supply if I replace the fuses?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thats them. I only blew 1. I have a few extras I would be happy to send. Pm me your address

Had you unplugged a stepper or the power connection while it was powered up? Seems like you have to wait for the caps to discharge. IIRC I had done something along those lines.

What value are those fuses? I'd like to put a normal size fuse ahead of the MX3600 (between it and PSU) so it would blow before the SMD fuses.

10A

Thanks! Fastest1

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Had you unplugged a stepper or the power connection while it was powered up? Seems like you have to wait for the caps to discharge. IIRC I had done something along those lines.
    All I did was release the physical E-stop button.

Fastest1, how in the hell did you get the fuses off the board? my solder suck wire will not pull the solder out\off.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    Fastest1, how in the hell did you get the fuses off the board? my solder suck wire will not pull the solder out\off.

Andrew
    Andrew,

When Solder Wick has a difficult time picking up solder, try applying some fresh solder to the component first.

You will be amazed how well it works,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

just tried that...... only pulls the new solder off! :drowning:

If you are going to put regular fuses ahead of the input terminals than you could just solder a jumper across the tops of the SMD fuses since they would be redundant with the external fuses.

Let me tell you....... Youtube is your friend! Just found a video where the guy adds a good amount to each side and the goes back and forth heating and push the component off the pads on the board. :banana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JM4oCpWnjU

Ok, So I like the idea of putting jumpers on the fuse pads and fusing it outside of the box. But what size to use. it had (2) 10A fuses on the inside. So a 20A on the out side?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    Ok, So I like the idea of putting jumpers on the fuse pads and fusing it outside of the box. But what size to use. it had (2) 10A fuses on the inside. So a 20A on the out side?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Andrew,

Absolutely not

Most likely there is a fuse on the positive as well as negative side of the power input.

Do not exceed a ten amp fuse!

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Andrew,

Absolutely not

Most likely there is a fuse on the positive as well as negative side of the power input.

Do not exceed a ten amp fuse!

Jeff...
    I just took the lower board off of the three lower boards and I see no more fuses. both of the 10A fuses were on the positive....... lead? sorry if my terms are wrong, I not very knowledgeable on the electronics.

So why are\were there two 10A fuses on the same lead?

Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123