585,775 active members*
4,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Power cabinet cooling concern.

Power cabinet cooling concern.

In side are two cooling fans but see no air intake and things are sewn up what appears to be pretty tight inside and the cabinet door rubber sealed.

This seems wrong, am I missing something?

Ken

Re: Power cabinet cooling concern.

You gave no make, model or year, so I can offer just general information.

There are different systems used on these machines. On my 96 VF-2 it is a heat exchanger system that uses air passing over an aluminum heat exchanger unit and no air passes in and out of the actual enclosure. On my 97 VF-2, there is an external filter and air passes through it and into the actual cabinet then back out.

You need to get us pictures, or better to describe the system. In any event, I'm sure Haas did what they wanted to do.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

"In any event, I'm sure Haas did what they wanted to do. "

As long as they did what they wanted is the same as doing what they should then all should be OK and as far as can be seen this has not been the source of any issues..
    This lack of any way (that was seen) to recirculate fresh cooling air inside the cabinet was simply an observation made these last few days when looking into why it would not boot.

Ken

If it were cooling of the cabinet causing your issue it would still boot. It takes time for the cabinet to heat up enough to cause failure or shut down. If it doesn't boot at all you have other issues.

Ben

Ben,
    Agreed, I wasn't implying it had a thing to do with the non booting, it was just noticed when looking into the booting issue.

Ken

It does seem wrong but likely the fans are for localized cooling, like some specific parts. The total air space inside the cabinet is fairly large so that would be enough as long at the total amount of heat being dissipated isn't larger than what can be conducted away through the sides of the box.

I think my TM-1 is the same way. I don't remember there being any significant circulation paths from inside to outside the enclosure.

C|