585,778 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Post processing sofware

I am looking for a post processing software, so I can speed up cutting speed, when cutting straight, and slow down when cutting corners, radius's, and arcs. I currently use enroute 5 plus, but they just told me that I have to cut the whole program at the same speed. I cut a lot of plastics, and when you cut shapes, and curves, they tend to chatter, and chip, if I can't slow down. I have a router that uses Centroid cnc software, and I have a knee mill that uses centurion 7 by milltronics. I would like to use g-code, as that is what I have been using for a lot of years. These two units use conversational programming, but can also use g-code, and you can import DXF files as well. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. J.P.

Re: Post processing sofware

You can just edit the gcode by hand.

My post processor, is not powerful enough. When it generates code, it travels at one speed throughout the whole profile. Some of my fixtures cut 10 or 20 pieces at a time per cycle. It would take hours to tweek the G-code. Drawing in conversational, also would take all day. There must be a post processor out there that can do the job.

A few years ago I developed a Post Processor addon for a cnc Water Jet (Kimtek CNC) which controlled Accel / Decel for Linear & Arc moves. The addon was supported by a simple Access Materials db which stored accel / decel rates and distances by material. As far as I know the addon is still in use. The addon works with our own Cad Cam software (Dolphin Partmaster) and can be applied on any of the CNC modules.

Accel / Decel settings allow the user to configure :-

Accel / Decel rates per material
    Number of Accel / Decel steps i.e. where feed is ramped up / down over a series of blocks until required feed is achieved.
    Accel / Decel steps distance.
    Dolphin CAD CAM Ltd

Perhaps get CAM software that has this functionality so you can do it at the programming stage. Though I know this might be totaly impractical to change CAM systems but just letting you know most reasonable CAM software can do this. ie Alphacam, which is what I use.

Have you explored getting your controls ramp acceleration, arc, jerk, etc settings changed. Sometimes it is even possible to have multiple control settings setups saved to let you select different ones for different types of work. I used to have Slow, Medium and Fast setups saved. Fast would be for basic panel work and nesting where accuracy was not so key and Slow would be for fine 3D surface finishing where any slight machine vibration or over run on corners would me disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by japco43 View Post
    I currently use enroute 5 plus, but they just told me that I have to cut the whole program at the same speed.
    "EnRoute's CNC router software is best known for its ease of use, intuitive creative tools and accurate toolpathing for your carving and engraving needs. " (their emphasis, not mine).

And that would seem to be your problem, right there... not using the correct tool for the job.

Get the demo version of CamBam and give that a try. At $150, it's a cheap fix.