585,744 active members*
4,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Post Change

Post Change

Hi, All
    I seem to be having a problem with post and z axis positioning, v27 and using mach3 natc post. When I post nc file the z axis has no relationship to the model in bobcad, but ones I did a while back on the previous build work. Only tested in 2d features..... So at the moment I can't create useable code from bobcad...... I'm building and testing my router machine and this has been hard to nail down for a newbe. I am including the bobcad files and post files...Hope I got the file posting thing right?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Post Change

I just tried your file with a different machine profile and it seemed to produce reasonable code. I was unable to look at your machine profile as I don't have it, but it could be something wrong in it.
    Try loading a different machine profile and see how you get on, the one I tested with was my own but also tried with the BC_3X_Mill one and it too looked ok.

Hood

Looks like you have a problem with the Post Processor, there are several lines of code that have a semi colon ; at the start of the lines, you need to edit your PP to get rid of them, the controller won`t like them

Could be the problem

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Mach will just ignore lines with the semi colon I think.

Hood

Try the attached PP

Mach3-Mill-NoATC-mod.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Mach will just ignore lines with the semi colon I think.

Hood
    Never worked for me with stuff like that in, seems to be "picky" when it comes to code

I have not used a Mach3 PP for some years, they are never just right, I much prefer to use a proper Fanuc PP, 0M is usually closest to being OK I`ve found over the years

Regards
    Rob :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

I made my own PP's up as the standard ones didn't do all I wanted, mill one wasn't too bad but the lathe one was not good. Thankfully editing a PP is relatively painless once you find the info required in the documentation

Hood

Hi All, Thanks for the replies!!
    I may not of described the problem right, both files run fine, one file( hackercraft) has the correct z axis height. The gantry test file runs higher than the 4 in travel in my machine setup. Its at like 5 plus inches as in the post.. I need to figure out what is happening now that wasn't when I may have been on the first build v27. I can post the machine setup file?

Thanks, Dave

Sorry I forgot, I have tried several post processers.

Try loading a different machine, once that is done make sure the post processor has not changed, if it has then change that to the one you normally use.
    Doing that certainly worked for me, using your machine definition all Z moves were positive, using mine or another of the standard ones the Z moves were negative.

I have had a quick look and do not see why but will have another look tonight but it would be good if you can confirm that you get decent code from a different machine profile.

Hood

Hi hood
    The problem is the part top is zero and lets say cut, drill depth is .1" the output code puts the drill operation at about 5.7244. I need the drill at 0.0 to -.1 that puts my needed Z moves in the negative like in the file ( Hackerboat) that was processed back in December?????. I have tried different machines and post processers and come up with the same Z axis problem. Both files run my real machine but everything that is now posted slams my Z axis to the top ( I have 5.5 travel router) and just got the limit switch today to install.

Thanks, Dave

I forgot, Both run properly in simulation ( bobcad )

Don't know what to suggest then, if I use the file you uploaded with the machine profile you uploaded then I get exactly as you get, Z going up 5 or so.
    If I change the machine profile to my own Chiron one or use the BC_3X_Mill one then it posts correct code, Z goes negative as it should.

Will have to let someone with more experience than me figure out what your issue is I am afraid.
    Hood

Thanks again, Hood... If I use BC_3X_Mill I get the same z problem.( 5+ inches). I am considering reloading the software but not sure what will happen with licsense???

Thanks, Dave

OOh boy I did it now!. I wasn't happy with posted code with the Z axis over the top of my machine so I wanted to go back to build 1462, software made me remove the current one 1547.... Ok fine .... Ahh Hoo I install from factory disk ( 1462 ) and now BobCad crashes with every file I try to open!!!! I am really at the end of my rope....

Now I am understanding your issue more I think it will probably be the settings in your Multi Axis Posting area of your machine settings, look at the attached image and check in the bottom right hand corner under "Move List Writer" and check that the "Move List Coordinates" box has "Machine Compensation in Z only", if it doesn`t then set it to this from the drop down list, do this under "Milling Job > Current Settings > Multiaxis Posting", if you re-post your code now the Z should show the correct values.

Attachment 271358

Also where it shows "Machine Limits" set that to "No Limits", not really needed but better done at the same time

Do the same under your "CAM Default > Current Settings > Multiaxis Posting" and you should be good to go

I have checked this with your Gantry file and if I set as above the Z is OK, if I change it the Z goes positive, I can toggle back and forth just changing that "Move List Coordinates" input back and forth so I reckon that might help, hope so anyway

P.S. Your files also crashed my V27 so I just used the merge facility and they will open but no CAM Tree, had to re-do a drill feature

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Hi Engine Guy, Thanks for the info and responding... I have found a thread on this forum that had that in it and tried all sorts of setting and still didn't change the post. Tried what you suggested to open file and it worked but without retaining material or tool path. Simple enough to fix.. After that using the same machine and post processor it now works after removing and installing build 1462, seem to be posting the correct Z numbers. Next I installed build 1547 and it also works with the same Machine and post processor, outputting the correct Z axis numbers..... I have come to the conclusion that with all bobcad crashing trying to get some of the software to work it became corrupted or something, the post processor file and my machine file work fine. Not sure why the machine file or other files posted did and did not work on other computers here on the list??. the fact that I cannot open any of my bc files of late I think is because of some corruption from the software. Does this make any sense to anybody??
    Thanks, Dave

Help!!!!!!!.. Hi all, Still having Zaxis problems. Last night had the code post with the correct Z numbers, settings Cam Defaults-machine parameters-BC_3x_Mill and Mach3-Mill-NoATC-mod.Mill, but BC simulation was showing Z axis 5" plus while the code that was posted was the -.1 is was supposed to be??????.. Now this morning I open the same file and looking at the data- Cam tree and open cam defults under machine parameters it is showing "Dave" is selected ( the one I made does not work )but looking 2 lines down in the tree it still shows BC_3x_Mill and Mach3-Mill-NoATC-mod.mill. Seems to post Z correctly.. Shouldn't cam defaults-machine parameters show BC_3x_ Mill and why does'nt the simulation move list show the Z axis moves that the simulation is working on and code bc is posting??
    Thanks, Dave

Test to see if picture works, This is my code simulator for testing. Gantry for my router mill in the building stage, router is X=45" y=24" z=5.5". Gantry beam is 3x6 steel tube machined at component mounting locations for accuracy. I estimate for gantry weight is 165lbs.

Thanks, hope posting this here is ok, Dave ( oh it's sitting on my 4axis foam hotwire wing machine )