585,973 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

PCNC Enclosure update

There was some interest from you guys in my previous post on the enclosure I'm building. Picked up all the parts from the fabricator today. The right side panel was not scaled correctly so I am waiting on a replacement. So far this is all I have done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Smile Re: PCNC Enclosure update

Keep us up to date. I want to improve mine soon. I like to see what other people do for enclosures

Looking good so far

Re: PCNC Enclosure update

How are you fastening to the stand enclosure? Are you tapping like factory or are you running nuts and bolts? Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    How are you fastening to the stand enclosure? Are you tapping like factory or are you running nuts and bolts? Looks good!
    Was planning on drill and tap, but had nuts just case. Nuts where used for ease. Holes don't need to be quite so precise

Got a bit more done. The slanted extension had to be re bent and will be done tomorrow. Hopefully have time to get that installed tomorrow evening as well as the two front panels. Then the doors
    Also a pic of an led flood lamp that will be mounted inside. One on each side and possibly one in the center looking down.
    Attachment 245504
    Attachment 245504

Decent progress!
    I like the led lights. "want some of them"
    Panels look like s.s.?
    If so very nice
    I would suggest some sort of channel or S clip to hold lexan view ports in place and avoid drilling lexan panels.
    This should reduce crazing or cracking! "not always"
    Just an idea and I bet you have it covered

md

Looking really good so far! One can never have enough light in a machining situation that's for sure. FWIW I have had really good luck with using PET-G as a window material in various machinery guarding situations versus polycarbonate.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Decent progress!
    I like the led lights. "want some of them"
    Panels look like s.s.?
    If so very nice
    I would suggest some sort of channel or S clip to hold lexan view ports in place and avoid drilling lexan panels.
    This should reduce crazing or cracking! "not always"
    Just an idea and I bet you have it covered

md
    No not stainless. Just cold roll. I didn't have enough faith in my solid works sheet metal design skills to have them coated before I do at least 1 test fit. So far so good.

I do have plans to drill the lexan. It's currently on my procrastination list though. I've become moderately skilled at doing it over the years without cracking it. Also I left a large edge around all the drill points. So that I'm not trying to drill right on edge.

The metal looks so clean! wow
    Let me detail more.
    putting holes in plastics like this is just not super durable.
    If you can avoid drilling holes at all and just mount a channel top and bottom for the panel to set in. or simple metal "s" clips so panel kind of floats !
    This avoids 2 problems expansion and contraction causing the plastic to crack at mounting holes "they are very different materials"
    Also plastic sheet material is a cast or extruded product and has built in stress.
    Crazing can be caused for a number of reasons water, chemical or pressure stress and many times holes are a place for the cracks to start.

Another note on material I said lexan above and that's generic! search for threads on machine enclosure plastics. " or on a supplier website"
    There are very specific materials advised for machine enclosures and is proven from years of use.
    I would not expect material you get at home depot to stand up well to machining conditions.
    Don't get me wrong it wont completely fail but it could look bad .
    Anyway

Some ideas to think about
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    The metal looks so clean! wow
    Let me detail more.
    putting holes in plastics like this is just not super durable.
    If you can avoid drilling holes at all and just mount a channel top and bottom for the panel to set in. or simple metal "s" clips so panel kind of floats !
    This avoids 2 problems expansion and contraction causing the plastic to crack at mounting holes "they are very different materials"
    Also plastic sheet material is a cast or extruded product and has built in stress.
    Crazing can be caused for a number of reasons water, chemical or pressure stress and many times holes are a place for the cracks to start.

Another note on material I said lexan above and that's generic! search for threads on machine enclosure plastics. " or on a supplier website"
    There are very specific materials advised for machine enclosures and is proven from years of use.
    I would not expect material you get at home depot to stand up well to machining conditions.
    Don't get me wrong it wont completely fail but it could look bad .
    Anyway

Some ideas to think about
    md
    I got the lexan from a local distributor. I told them what it will be used for and this was there recomendantion. It's not plexiglas, which I beleive is what most home improvement stores sell. It wasn't terribly expensive so if I have to replace it with something else it's not the end of the world. I was worried about it turning into what ever tormach ships with their machine. Seams like every body's turns cloudy after a year of use.

Lexan is much softer, and MUCH more easily damaged than Plexiglas. It is, however, MUCH stronger - literally bullet-proof, if thick enough. So, if you're after long-term visibility, use Plexiglas. If you're after safety, use Lexan. In the presence of some coolants, Lexan will tend to cloud up over time, and simple cleaning will get it covered in small scratches very quickly. It will also develop micro-cracks and crazing, which will cloud it. Plexiglass is far more resistant to scratching , cracking and crazing. I've had Plexiglas in the enclosure on my knee mill for about 4 years now, and it still looks almost like new. Not sure Lexan would have held up as well.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Something very interesting has happened over the last couple of years - I used to buy 1/4" Plexiglas in 4x8 foot sheets, and paid about $150 per sheet. At that time, Lexan was about 2X the price. I just looked at prices from ePlastics.com, and the prices have notw reversed - Lexan is now cheaper than Plexiglas! A 51x100 inch sheet of geunine duPont Lucite 1/4" Plexi is now $250, while a 4x8 foot sheet of genuine duPont Lexan is only $205.

Abrasion-resistant Plexi (probably the best choice for this application, as it is both abrasion and chemical resistant) is crazy expensive, at about $750 per sheet.

Regards,
    Ray L.

It's getting there
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408209849079.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	245724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408209849079.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	245724

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1408209866646.jpg  

Looks good! How are you mounting the doors?

Looks nice

Attachment 245800Attachment 245800

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1408259303929.jpg  

How did you mount the doors? It's hard to tell from the pics. Any plans of sealing the doors vertical mating surface? I am still building mine and am curious how well it seals.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    How did you mount the doors? It's hard to tell from the pics. Any plans of sealing the doors vertical mating surface? I am still building mine and am curious how well it seals.
    Doors are mounted with a set of heavy duty stainless drawer slides. The drawer slides are covered by the doors when closed. So chips and coolant shouldn't be a huge issue.

The doors slide very nicely. But there is a small gap at the top of the doors. My plan was to put a rubber gasket on the edges and use some magnets to pull them tight together.

Good Job Chris! You weren't kidding when you told me you were going to make these, lol. Just let us know when the kits are for sale

Hey Chris;
    Nice job on the enclosure. I just finished a plexiglass/angle iron enclosure for my novakon and used a shower door slide for the sliding doors. Your design looks much better. One thing I did learn on my design was that rubber gaskets for the top and sides of the door is not needed. The doors overlap the opening and deflect any coolant from the spindle. Soooo, no gaskets needed. Looking forward to seeing your work completed. Going to look very nice.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Page 1 of 3 123