586,024 active members*
4,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Pathing issues

Pathing issues

Lately on a 2 sided flip cut. I have noticed that when doing a flip cut using drive surfaces to control my paths the A180 side does not put the paths to the level that is requested , I usually pick the pathing level to just past half way past center line in rhino , but the pathing falls short of even the model it self. Now I have to leave the drive surface where it is and flip the model do the tool pathing and then change the Gcode to request the flip to A180.
    I know it used to work a few weeks back before I installed a new release.

Is there an release to fix this ?

In the attach image you can see the tool pathing only going upwards a few mm or so .

Re: Pathing issues

Have you checked the drive surface calculation height and depth?
    It's important that the height and depth is enough for reaching the model.
    Have you picked the correct projection direction of your drive surface?

If you still are having trouble, please send your model to [ info at madcamcnc dot com ] and we will have a look.

/Joakim

It is also possible to use indexed machining for this part, but below is a description for how to use the flat drive surface.

1) Select your model with tabs for madCAM. Important! Do not include the drive surface.
    2) Select cutter.
    3) Pick the drive surface and make the direction from top.

Attachment 246348

4) Set the depth and height from drive surface. You can pick the levels from the model. It's important that the height is set to be above the model relative to your drive surface.

Attachment 246330

Attachment 246314

5) To reduce the height and depth for two sided milling, you can use the drive surface clipping planes.
    Attachment 246350

Pick the top and bottom clipping levels from the model.
    Attachment 246324
    Attachment 246326

6) Now you can create the planar finishing from top.

Attachment 246334

7) Reselect the drive surface and set the direction from bottom. (The arrow is pointing up)

Attachment 246342

8) Set the drive surface height and depth. Set the clipping planes top and bottom. All settings are relative to the drive surface location and direction.
    9) Create the planar finishing from bottom.

Attachment 246344

/Joakim

I will try and see if setting all the way through the model helps rather than setting half way through. ( center point in rhino) Did you make a change to madcam in this respect?

No, nothing has been changed that would affect this.
    When using a drive-surface, the calculations of all coordinates are based on the drive-surface parametric representation. It is this that makes it possible to use curved, closed, trimmed or any shape of a drive-surface. If the drive surface is flat, it is possible to get the parametric representation to coincide with the world coordinates in Rhino by placing the drive surface at the same height as the centerline. You can then set the drive surface calculation hieght to the same value as the distance from your drive surface to the top of your model. The drive surface calculation depth should then be set to zero for having the toolpath to stop at the drive surface level.

/Joakim

Not sure why this is still happening on my system. I will try to install the latest rhino and madcam and see if it goes away. If not I will try to update the window software. because my computer is not connected to the net I never upgrade the windows software.