586,029 active members*
3,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Optical Lathe RPM Opto equiv

I wanted to setup a Mill RPM for Mach 3 similar to what the Lathe chuck belt wheel has and determined the following on the Opto setup used on my 2010 Patriot. Just wanted to pop this info up here for retention.

Adding on a Opto sensor update. The Optical RPM setup on the lathe uses a Fairchild QRB1133 combo IR diode w/ NPN output transistor. This is discontinued but is subbed out w/ an Optek (among many equiv's I'm sure) to an Optec OBP703 series. bought from digikey for $3.50 a piece. Has the 6" lead wires already on as well.

OPB703WZ TT Electronics/Optek Technology | 365-1676-ND | DigiKey

Other RPM solutions also exist: Like this one which I may just go buy. tachoptions

Peace
    JJ

Re: Optical Lathe RPM Opto equiv

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Other RPM solutions also exist: Like this one which I may just go buy. tachoptions

Peace
    JJ
    I've got a cheapo handheld digital laser tach that I've had for a while and they are surprisingly accurate for use on a mill, lathe or drill press. Out of curiosity I checked mine against the tach readout on a known accurate machine with a RPM readout and it was spot on. I just did a amazon search and you can get them for as little as $11 or $12... even the ratings by those who have bought them are quite high for such an inexpensive item. Just thought I'd throw it out there as an option for folks.

Hey Thanks a TON! Now on order and will be here on Friday. $16. Awesome tip.

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Hey Thanks a TON! Now on order and will be here on Friday. $16. Awesome tip.
    You're quite welcome... once you get it post model and your thoughts pro and con. I'm sure others (who are poor like me and looking for cheap alternatives) would be interested in your opinion.
    I think mine is a Cyber-tech or something similar. Most likely many of these come out of the same manufacturer in Asia/China.