584,858 active members*
4,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Howa CNC Lathe

Okuma Howa CNC Lathe

We run a small CNC shop and use 2 mid 80's and 1 early 90's Okuma Howa CNC Lathe. All 3 machines have worked very well for us with very few maintenance issues. In looking at equipment we are tempted to look at the Okuma Howa machines that are still very common on the used market. Since we have had such great success with our current machines, we are not afraid of the quality. However, our concern is from the fact that Okuma Howa was bought out by Okuma a few years ago. I didn't even find an Okuma Howa forum on this website. So, my question to anyone who has time to respond, would you be afraid to purchase an Okuma Howa machine on the used market? Can you still get parts and service for these machines? I know with Fanuc Controls, motor and drives, that is not a problem but the mechanical parts is our greatest concern. Will it become increasingly difficult to find parts as the years go by?

Thank you,

Gary

Re: Okuma Howa CNC Lathe

Okuma fully supports the Howa products. However, it will become increasingly difficult to find parts for machines from the 80s and early 90's no matter the brand. You're talking about machines approaching ages 20-35 years old depending on date of manufacture. The Howa line of machines isn't gone, if you check Okumas website, especially under vertical lathes, it's easy to recognize the Howa machines. Okuma actually has a better parts network than OH ever could dream of. OHs documentation was horrid in my experience. I've not had an issue finding parts for a Howa machine yet personally.

Okuma is OK at getting parts, not great even for the original Okuma brand. I'm sure it has to do with the distributer parts department, however it seems like okuma doesn't stock much in the US. Our Okumas are roughly 10 years old, and we have had to wait for parts more than once. I think you would be OK if you could wait a week or two.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

What kind of parts did you have to wait for?
    I've never had a problem for normal parts personally, but I've never needed to buy a B axis worm gear for an MB8000 or anything exotic.
    Just in case so I know to allow extra time for something if I see it needs to be replaced.

Simple stuff really, like the flexible lube lines. We have had 5 lines blow on 3 different machines in 2 separate buildings. Fortunately all world was able to get them in 2 days. Wipers was another problem, and these were us built machines.

We have also many O & H vertical lathes. Normally after 10 years not possible to find parts. But we bought even ball screws for older machines. But electronic parts such as VAC drives, axis drives (if not possible to repair). They offer new versions of these. Complete new unit. But this situation is for all Okumas. So some users change to other control units separetly sold.

Since Okuma Howa typically used Fanuc, those parts are really easy to get.