585,733 active members*
4,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Not Ready and VRDY Errors

My Morton mill with a Fanuc 3M control will not get thru the boot sequence, displaying the above errors. I have been thru Fanuc tech support (very helpful and free, by the way) and they have not been able to isolate the problem, although one of the techs thought that because I was getting the "Not Ready" error, this ment that the machine side was failing a diagnostic somewhere along the boot up, and thus sending a not ready signal to the control resulting in the "VRDY off - servo (2)" error from the control side.
    I have since checked about everthing I can figure on the machine side that would be failing (limit switches, x-y-z pos. encoders, coolant pump, etc) and have found no errors, I wonder if Fanuc was correct, or do I really have a contoller issue?
    I also wiped out all the parameters in an effort to re-enter them, but the control will not let me into this area with the errors on the CRT, so we have that issue as well.

I am about ready to send my boards to get them checked out, but maybe before I spend that dough, does someone out there have an idea?

Any ideas are appriciated.
    Thanks

Put the machine in Estop
    Turn the parameter enable switch on (top middle of master board)
    Power up holding in "Reset" and "Delete" pushbuttons
    MDI mode
    Reload parameters.
    Not Ready means the machine is in an Estop condition.
    Check the estop string in your wiring diagram

The VRDY signal comes from the servo amplifiers. When you power up a Fanuc 3 (or any Fanuc with the old analog drives), the CNC completes it's own boot sequence, then it sends a relay signal called PRDY (Power Ready) to each servo. The servos are then supposed to power up and the main contactor (MCC) will pull in with a "clunk". A pair of contacts in the main contactor send the VRDY (Velocity Unit Ready) signal back to the CNC. If the CNC sends the PRDY and does not receive the VRDY signal back from each servo, the control shuts down with a VRDY alarm. Only when the servos are ready does the "NOT READY" disappear from the CRT.

Are the servo contactors pulling in? Are the pulling in and then dropping off again? Are there any red LEDS coming on on the servo amplifier boards?

You could have a problem with one of the servos, or you could have a missing tach signal, a blown servo fuse, bad servo power supply (on the X amplifier board), or a loose connector to a motor. Also check to be sure you don't have coolent or chips inside any of the connectors on the motors.

Re: Not Ready and VRDY Errors

Quote Originally Posted by brgrii View Post
    My Morton mill with a Fanuc 3M control will not get thru the boot sequence, displaying the above errors. I have been thru Fanuc tech support (very helpful and free, by the way) and they have not been able to isolate the problem, although one of the techs thought that because I was getting the "Not Ready" error, this ment that the machine side was failing a diagnostic somewhere along the boot up, and thus sending a not ready signal to the control resulting in the "VRDY off - servo (2)" error from the control side.
    I have since checked about everthing I can figure on the machine side that would be failing (limit switches, x-y-z pos. encoders, coolant pump, etc) and have found no errors, I wonder if Fanuc was correct, or do I really have a contoller issue?
    I also wiped out all the parameters in an effort to re-enter them, but the control will not let me into this area with the errors on the CRT, so we have that issue as well.

I am about ready to send my boards to get them checked out, but maybe before I spend that dough, does someone out there have an idea?

Any ideas are appriciated.
    Thanks

What type of Morton Mill do you have? I have a Morton VTC4080 and do not have electrical drawings, in which I need. Can you help me locate someone that may have some?

Re: Not Ready and VRDY Errors

No luck here - I know they were imported from a company in Muskegon MI in the 80's.