585,763 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > No oiler pressure on a tree 250, vogel pump

No oiler pressure on a tree 250, vogel pump

Hi guys,

I have a tree 250 with a Vogel pump. The oiler comes on, but I'm not seeing the oil pressure switch trigger. I've verified that the pump can deliver oil, but I haven't been able to verify this at pressure. I'm not certain whats more likely, the Vogel pump losing pressure, the pressure switch failing, or some leak in the lines. I suspect that the switch is what failed, but I'm not going to take any chances until I know the spindle is getting oil.

I figure that my first step is to get a pressure gauge into the system at various places so I can test the pump and look for leaks, but I'm having a hard time identifying the fittings tree used for the oiler lines. The flow sensor switch looks like an NPT tapered thread or maybe a BSPT tapered thread, except its threaded at 25 threads per inch (instead of 27). The hose that connects the manifolds together has some form of o-ring piloted connector (.3" diameter) with a tapered thread. I haven't seen these types of fittings before and I was hoping someone on this board would be able to identify them for me.

also, does anybody know where I can find a replacement pressure switch or a decent place for a pump rebuild?

Thanks

Re: No oiler pressure on a tree 250, vogel pump

Plug the line out from the pump with a gauge and test there. I'm assuming your talking about the way lube system, AFAIK there is no pumped oil for the spindle, just grease pack. You should get around 200psi out of the pump. If not, take it apart and clean it and adjust the pressure relief valve. If you still can't get 200psi + then you simply need a new pump. If you do get good pressure, then you will need to look for leaks in any soft lines, or what I think may be going on is the manifolds are shot. If you do get correct pressure with everything connected then it could just be a switch. Call Bob at ZPS, he can get any part you need.

Thanks underthetire,

Sounds like a plan. I'm going to try to find the fittings I need for the pressure test tomorrow.

Have a great holiday...

Hi guys,

I thought I would update this thread and close it out. I was able to find an adapter fitting that I could use in place of the pressure switch and get a gauge on the system. Turns out that this is close to a 1/8" NPT port. The threads are a little off on the sensor (25 TPI vs 27 for the NPT) but an NPT fitting seems to work fine. I get a 120PSI at the switch, which I assume is good because the system is open to the ways. Looks like I'll be talking to Bob at ZPS to get a replacement sensor.

Thanks for the help.