586,005 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Next wood routing project...

Next wood routing project...

My NEXT project is a new address plaque on the front of my house. I have a fancy idea for one down the road but to start... just a simple routed one. Here is the project plan (in words)

~17" x 14" finished outside (starting 'blank' is bigger of course for holding it down)
    outer perimeter to be a raised half-round 'frame'
    text to be raised but not to the same height as the half-round frame

I'm attaching a couple pictures of what I want - face view (showing text placement) and cross-section to show my desired result.

I can create the text (I think) and MAYBE even figure out how to make it a 'relief' (raised) - but it will take me a LOT of 'trial and error'. I know I've seen videos on that part of this project (routing text vs engraving text) but I can't seem to find those anymore. The half-round frame is going to be my challenge - I THINK that is going to require some 'contour merging' in the milling package.

Any help anyone has would be great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOUSEPLAQUE_FACE.jpg   HOUSEPLAQUE_CrossSection.jpg  

Re: Next wood routing project...

I have some tricks and tools I used. The thread below is a rather long series of write-ups I did last year on my engraving happy hour (like 2 weeks) of solid trial and error. I know you have the 'stickwithitness' dolphin has built in text carve/clear right into the CAM module. Set your 0,0,0 type in the text you want, how you want, and pop out the G-code. Of course, as long as you think like a Milling or router bit huh! :-) It will do area clears around leaving raised letter or you can just engrave.

Now- To the freebies to help sort and enhance Dolphin- My Newbie toolbag is getting much bigger than just the CAD/CAM hammer! :-)
    You know of InkScape. I use this often to just take a Font w/ windows or Linux. Draw out what I want in that font. Save it off to JPEG. Import into inkscape and use the vector convert on it. then w/ the gCodeTools plug in, wham -GCode engrave for text of the font you choose (as long as you own the font and can use it ).

The other I mention in this post link below is: The better better DXF export for InkScape. Forget the default export tool in inkscape. Barely works if you ask me.
    then go and install inkscapeGcodeTools plug-in to take your Font or stencil directly to gCode (which can free up precious time... And sometimes that can be nice)

My link of comments, links, and how to steps for engrave/ area clears.
    Air pencil engraver mount for CNC mill. | The Hobby-Machinist

Have a great eve!

Re: Next wood routing project...

what do you have 4 tooling ?
    how many tools do you want to use ?
    you can make the whole thing with one tool ....
    What are your speed and feed restraints ?
    i would just do a pocket tool path for the center area with the writing and just 3D the outer radius on it them mill around leaving tabs....
    how deep ?
    radius allow in all corners ?
    this would avoid chipping ,,