585,737 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > NEWBIE In need of some help please

NEWBIE In need of some help please

Attachment 257656

My question is what would be the easiest or fastest or best way to pull the correct geometry from this model to get a I.D. profile so I can write a tool path for my lathe?

I have bobcad/cam25 lathe and mill package.
    I haven't been to a class.
    Everything i know (very little) has been from trial n error.
    I have learned a lot from reading post in the past then running out to the garage and trying them,lol

Re: NEWBIE In need of some help please

Maybe create a plane through it and generate intersection curves from the 2?

Hard to tell from a screenshot...

BurrMan when you say create a plane though it and generate intersection curves from the 2, does that give me a 2d profile from the model?

I ended up extracting the edges from a solid then unstitched solid to surfaces so i could trim away what i didn't need. I was very painful day yesterday,lol

Quote Originally Posted by grgrydalton View Post
    does that give me a 2d profile from the model?
    Yes...

I ended up extracting the edges from a solid then unstitched solid to surfaces so i could trim away what i didn't need. I was very painful day yesterday,lol
    That sounds like you are after a solid result from the cut plane.... There are probably a few ways to get what you want. If you can provide a sample we could give you some suggestions, as aspirin...

Red face Re: NEWBIE In need of some help please

I hope this works it's a compressed zipped folder with a step file in it.
    the print has two dims. on it O.A. of 94mm long and a I.D. bore size of 98.196mm

Thank you for all your help in advance!!!

I hope this works it's a compressed zipped folder with a step file in it.
    the print has two dims. on it O.A. of 94mm long and a I.D. bore size of 98.196mm

Thank you for all your help in advance!!!
    I think if you open it as a step file and save as bbcd / open in bobcad extract edges from solid it might give you all geom for dims.

Extract edges from solid and project.

Is this what you are needing ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dims 1.JPG   dims 2.JPG   dims projection.JPG  

The option to "project to Z Plane" RAF shows is new for V27 I believe. In V25 you would have to first extract the edges, then create a surface (above, below, doesn't matter much), and finally use the "project curves to surface" under the "Other" menu. You can then delete the surface leaving only the lines/curves. I do this all the time for boundaries where I need to then offset the geometry, so V27 looks like a huge time saver that way.

I think maybe what you are looking for is lathe geom ?

This may work , extract line from solid and revolve the cut solid and extract geom. Inner line would have to be least radius used for revolve

Just a thought

RAF.

Yes, that RAF that's what I'm looking for, I knew it could be done that away but, wasn't sure how to word it or explain what I wanted to do. How did you get it to fill in around the ears?

Yes, that RAF that's what I'm looking for, I knew it could be done that away but, wasn't sure how to word it or explain what I wanted to do. How did you get it to fill in around the ears?
    are the straight lines what you are referring to as ears? if so I just drew the having revolve the corner radius for cords.

I thought you were talking about this:

part profile - YouTube

Also, with this particular STEP file, you could do yourself a favor. Export it back out of BobCad as an IGES file, then re-import that IGEs file back in )select no curves and keep original).... This will force a shrinking of the underlying surface structure and the model will be lighter and less complex... Various Booleans will succeed more reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    are the straight lines what you are referring to as ears? if so I just drew the having revolve the corner radius for cords.

The straight lines are what i need for the lathe path and that was what I've been look for a easier way to do but how do i fill in around the ear or lugs. How do I get to the point where I can draw the lines. To me it looks like you made a solid and it wraps the model???

I really appreciate all your guys help!!

[QUOTE=BurrMan;1596284]I thought you were talking about this:

I've been wanting to learn that too, That's going to be used when i get these parts to the mill,lol thank you BurrMan

There are many ways to get your geom, this may be another way that would be easy to do also.

I have Boolean subtracted most of the solid away just for simplicity (not really necessary)

Create a surface (create its own layer) to rotate / rotate around X / X0 Y0 Z0 / rotate surface up in this example to where it captures the most ID of solid / Boolean subtract solid from surface / rotate surface back to X Y / Extract edges from solid (which in this case is the surface) / Blank surface / trim and join lines as needed.

Hope this maybe helps.

RAF.

lol. I am completely lost as to what in that shape can be cut on a lathe....

grg, if you had the chance to get a clip of video of how you are cutting this and put it up here, you would be doing me a favor....

RAF, don't forget Boolean isect when you want to get small little chunks out of something...

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post

grg, if you had the chance to get a clip of video of how you are cutting this and put it up here, you would be doing me a favor....

RAF, don't forget Boolean isect when you want to get small little chunks out of something...

I have bobcad/cam25 lathe and mill package.
    I haven't been to a class.
    Everything i know (very little) has been from trial n error.
    I have learned a lot from reading post in the past then running out to the garage and trying them,lol

OP,are you planning on making this part ? or is this an exercise ?
    Quite a bit to learn right off the start.
    Not to mention specialty tools and a different CAM to do this

I think maybe what would be cut on the Lathe is (ditto both end) maybe this a first op before fingers or ears cut on mill. Some might say why not just stand tube on end and do complete op in mill/ but may be less run time with lathe op. and mill op

Yes Boolean intersect very good, less work

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    I think maybe what would be cut on the Lathe is (ditto both end) maybe this a first op before fingers or ears cut on mill. Some might say why not just stand tube on end and do complete op in mill/ but may be less run time with lathe op. and mill op

Yes Boolean intersect very good, less work
    Thank you RAF. That helps a lot.

I'll post pictures soon, I ran it threw the lathe late last night and I haven't got it up on the mill yet, I had something a little hot come threw the today As far as the O.D. profile I'm going to send out to have wire cut.

Picture shows the only thing I planning on milling out, well the fillet also before wire