585,908 active members*
3,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Newbie in CNC What CAD should I use? BONZAI3D vs ViaCAD

Newbie in CNC What CAD should I use? BONZAI3D vs ViaCAD

As newbie here. I consider to buy 1 or 2 CAD for use in CNC hobby. I look around internet for reasonable price and good feature coz I'm just want something good, easy to use and of course worth money. And I can't afford like Solidwork , AutoCAD.

So I come to see ViaCAD and Bonzai3D look interesting. Sound not that complicated. Since it look like Sketchup only they seem more advance than Sketchup. I've not own any CAD software yet. So I think I've have to have it 1 or 2 (if necessary) use it to design CNC machine and other projects.

I tend to like Bonzai3D but still keep research coz I'm not so sure this is worth or it right decision or not or suite for work or not. Since $885 it not cheap only ok. One thing I'm not so sure about this is these 2 software is good in design as TurboCAD or AutoCAD or not? Since TurboCAD/AutoCAD but ViaCAD or Bonzai3D is well .... little bit focus on 3D model.

I'm not to be advance feature but only I do is simple like airplane model , ship model , uav , some label/wood tool etc. just like hobby projects.
    So please give me some suggestion and any recommend. Thank you so much.

Re: Newbie in CNC What CAD should I use? BONZAI3D vs ViaCAD

I bought Alibre Design years ago, and that is a great program. I have used Solid Works, and really, I don't even open Solid Works, I use Alibre,... it is more useful, and delivers the same end results. And way, way less expensive. See what they offer. I think they are called GeoMagic now... but a great program.

3D Systems | Geomagic Design Software
    Robot & Machine Design - BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachinedesign.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - www.truemachineautomation.com

Thank for reply
    I've already cut Bonzai from the list since it more on architect but I more on design a device , tools, equipment , model , more about mechanic. And I think I tend to like ViaCAD pro or Shark LT. Is these a good deal?

I've see GeoMagic now. Look interesting. How much u but it? It something like 1k? What think if compare to ViaCAD or Shark? Especially in term of simple to use and functional.

If you need 3d, you simply can not beat Viacad's price. Nothing gives you what it does for that same money... nothing !

Forget the PRO version.. forget Shark. Where you are at, all you need right now is Viacad 3d. Later you can upgrade to any of their other versions for fair money, unlike many other programs upgrade options. You will like Viacad, especially if your not up to speed with 3d drawing... it's perhaps the easiest 3d program there is, primarily because of the methods they use/invented..... The features are "Ashlar like" because it was Viacad who had been licensing those features to Ashlar all these years.

Download the Viacad demo.... can't lose there.

When it comes to Cad, what you will eventually find out, is that you will end up with MANY different programs over time.... just the way it is. I bet if we took a poll, most of us have at least 5 Cad programs and perhaps as many Cam programs.

If you just want a simple 2d program, Autosketch is probably your best bet as it can be found for very little money. Autosketch was purchased by Autodesk some years ago in order to obtain the methods used in it over in their "cheap" version... Autocad Lt. Personally, I like Autosketch better than ACad LT. Its faster to use.

I've got Alibre... Expert and personal. SELDOM USE IT. I cant draw in it nearly as fast as I can in other programs. But thats just me perhaps.

And then you will need CAM...... Another challenge to face !

Oh... last minute thought here..... If you have $299 to spend, Moi (Moment of Inspiration) is an absolute blast to draw in.
    Chris L

Wow dtac that help me narrow down the list thank!
    Yes! I see the price of ViaCAD is interesting. So I even consider ViaCAD pro is affordable. But u really encourage to start from ViaCAD 3D version 1st and upgrade later?

Yes. I admit u I see 1-2 CAD interesting by now even plan to have 1-2 of them already. :-p Vibre and GeoMagic. I also see Alibre/GeoMagic one interesting the basic entry edition I mean. The price of course ViaCAD win. And from what I look. ViaCAD more simply to use. Do u think GeoMagic can be far more advance doing over ViaCAD?

For 2D I still can't see why I need it by now. Since my hobby I just need to design things and do like wood stuff , plastic , metal , cnc machine , uav model , robot model. So I think for now I need 3D modeler/CAD right?

And for CAM I already consider to have CamBam 1st since the price is so good and it can do more thing before I gain more experience to need more feature. And BobCAD-CAM is my next target.
    For now I think I need 1-2 good CAD software to start with.

As fas as I understand Moi is more in freeform modeler am I right? What the advantage it is more than ViaCAD or Alibre/GeoMagic?
    Do u think I should have it?

I've seen amazing output from even what I personally would call the most non-productive cad program on the planet. Point being, one really needs to LEARN every aspect of what they have no matter how one gets to the final output.

No one cad program is "the best" at anything it seems. Some are downright counterproductive to use for one guy and perfectly fine for the next. Often, the cost of programs keep a person stuck in what may be a feature or function antiquated program, but as long as you really KNOW your program, you'll probably be productive with it. And that does not necessarily come quickly or easy.

That is why it is a good thing to try all the DEMO offers one can... to SEE first hand what or why a different program might be "better". And "better" can just mean better for what YOU want to do than someone else. You kind of need to know exactly what you are wanting to do to get the best product for the best money. One example is Plasma work.... You really can get by inexpensively because its essentially all 2d work and there are a lot of really good, inexpensive programs that do it well.

While you say you want to "robot".. Uav model ?..... Other than something like a body shell to cover up the mechanics, its all 2.5d work. I'd venture to say that 98% of what I really cut is 2.5d work (I have a mill, a few engravers, a few routers, a lathe and a few plasma cutters). My "go To" programs are my trusty 2d cad programs I am fast with, and then I select which CAM option I need depending on machine (Like I can't do lathe very well with Aspire so I use something else) When I want a 3d shell of sorts, I turn to Moi or Viacad, then use one of the simple STL to Code programs ( I have a few, and they all do an adequate job).

Moi is not freeform per say... its the concepts and techniques it applies that makes it a very modern cad type program in comparison to others. I wish I had a windows tablet to draw with it on as after using some other tablet programs with a stylus, I bet it would be great fun.

Download the demos of the more expensive ones.... BUY the cheap ones as a learning experience. You can purchase so many inexpensive 2d and 3d "cad" programs these days.... many lesser discussed ones well under $100 on ebay (often last years version). Only you in the end will know what really works for you.
    Chris L