585,727 active members*
4,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie Help :)

I am fairly new to CNC and CAD design and have an issue I am trying to solve. I have access to a CNC machine that has a max length of 1500mm, however I would like to cut something that is 1800-1900 mm long. To give a little bit more about what I am trying to accomplish I am looking to make patterns for snow skis. I already have the designs done in CAD, however I am looking for a way to machine them with the tools I have available to me.

My thoughts were that I would cut one half of the design and then re-position the material to a known point, and then cut the second half

What is the best way to accomplish this? Here are my questions.
    1. What is the best way to split the autocad drawing into two segments? The profile is one large polyline is there a way I can us a line to cut this into two separate polylines?
    2. What would be the best way to guarantee accuracy when re-positioning the material. My thought was that I would put two holes at each end and then 4 holes in the mid point. I would then use these holes as my positioning holes for when I relocate the material. I would drill corresponding holddown/peg holes in the bed (already had multiple from other project, so I would probably re-use those)

Any suggestions or help is appreciated like I said I am new to CAD so take it easy

Re: Newbie Help :)

Imagine doing it entirely by hand.
    You will need to make two programs, one for each end.
    In the 1st program you drill two holes through the mold blank, along the length of the ski (and probably a match two on the other side of the ski). These two holes MUST be a known distance apart - say 1000 mm.
    Machine one end 1st - say the tip. The hole(s) nearest the tip should go into the base support, and be of a size matching some pin material - say 6.0 mm.
    Then move the mold blank 1 m along, so the second hole(s) are over the pin hole in the base. Pin carefully.
    Now you can machine the other half of the mold provided you make the appropriate correction to the X values for the shift.

Cheers
    PS: what sort of snow skis?????

I know this doesn't answer your question but we could cut that in one piece for you on our routers.
    Where are you located?
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

Rcaffin is correct, repositioning with dowel pins is cheap and easy.

Everyone,
    Thanks for the information I have been travelling due to work so sorry for the late reply. After some more research and some help from a local CNC guy I have done the following
    I have drill 4 holes set a 400mm apart two on part one and two one part two. I then use these as a know reference point to move the material and have it line up correctly. I also figure out how to split my job into two parts in Cambam and reset the starting point for each part. This is working really well.

Rcaffin to answer your question on what kind of skis I am planing on making a bunch of different pairs before the snow flies. I am an ex-racer and have found that the modern skis are one dimensional in how they ski. They are either a race ski or a powder ski with only a few out there that can crush everything, so I am playing with some designs that have the attributes of both. AKA a wide underfoot with some tasty sidecut that can be that one ski east coast quiver ski. I know my way around composites fairly well so I am going to be playing with some carbon rails and X patterns to make a ski that is snappy when flexed forward and floats when you lay off the tip or set the binding back 5mm. The marker schizo binding had the ability to move 10mm front and back, but no one really makes a ski that takes full advantage of this

Basically just a snow junky with too much time

Thanks again everyone

Hi webdevl

Good to hear that it is working for you.

Race skis - sigh, I'm too old. Gentle Nordic over rolling hills these days. With a pack, and overnight camping in the snow.

Cheers
    Roger

love that too. After I get done playing with my "one quiver" ski I am planning on making a couple pair of tele ski's for back country skiing. My knee's kill me after a day of back country skiing, but I still love to go out and explore the woods.