585,685 active members*
4,773 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Newb: Getting my first Haas!!

Newb: Getting my first Haas!!

Hello all,

So I went a little crazy and am expecting my first shinny new Haas TM-2P with 20 tool changer in about a week. This may have been covered before but wanted to put it out there.

With the extensive experience of users on this site. Any tips and or tricks that would be helpful for a guy getting into Haas land? The "man I wish someone had told me this before hand" kind of wisdom.

Either way very excited!!

Cheers

Learn G code before you even hit the power on button, DONT rely on a cad system to do it for you.

thats the only tip you need. after that everything falls into place. if you choose to turn it before before learning G code everything will fall into pieces

Thanks Delw, yes I've been reading up allot on g. So far it seems to be making sense. Any recommendations as to a good place to get info on g-code? So far I've been reading "CNC Programming Handbook 3rd addition". Awesome book! Wonder if there is a Gcode for dummy's out there.

The best one I have found which is cheap(free) is the one from HAAS. I posted it a year or 2 ago and cant find it.
    its the manual haas use's for there class's.
    Take there class's they are free (at least my HFO)and well worth the time. few hours a day.

My wife took them she liked them and said they were easy.I have borrowed her book to look up some code also that I have forgotten.

Delw

Cool I found something called Haas Programming Handbook. Looks like this covers allot of what I need. Probably what you were referring too. Going to give it a read now.

Thanks again!

yeah thats the one I believe, its basic but yet covers pretty much everything.
    they wrote it very well.

the other books while indepth are more generic and cover all controls. which is complicated to those who never played with g code and pretty much an information overload for someone new.

Delw

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    yeah thats the one I believe, its basic but yet covers pretty much everything.
    they wrote it very well.

the other books while indepth are more generic and cover all controls. which is complicated to those who never played with g code and pretty much an information overload for someone new.

Delw
    I completely agree, I already read through in once. Going to go through it again tonight. I love how focused it is to Haas control specifically. This is exactly what I needed.

Thanks again!!

Also tip of the hat to Haas for amazing support.

New HAAS

Here's the Workbook I believe you were referring too - HAAS did a great job with this - I have e-mailed it you.

Another great resource is CNC Concepts, Inc. - CNC Concepts, Inc.

You may want to invest a little money and buy "Machining Center Programming, Setup & Operation" - very well done.

Where did you guys find the workbook? Is it posted on the Haas site somewhere? I'd like to download it.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

A nice fellow sent me a copy of it via email. But I just did a quick search and found a link to in online.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...bMFe1w&cad=rja

Just save it to you computer. I printed a copy and keep it in the shop in a binder now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilabite View Post
    A nice fellow sent me a copy of it via email. But I just did a quick search and found a link to in online.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCYQFjAC&url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.egr.unlv.edu%2F~kevinn%2FCNCworkbooks%2F MillProgrammingBook.pdf&rct=j&q=haas%20programming %20handbook&ei=7A3nTYb9G8fhiALy8bjSCw&usg=AFQjCNH-mTls_4pJVVRJw5CD7MnZbMFe1w&cad=rja

Just save it to you computer. I printed a copy and keep it in the shop in a binder now.
    Thank you! Very helpful.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

#1 best advice - 5% rapids when testing out your programs for the 1st time with actual tools after you verified in graphics mode.

ALWAYS look at the screen to see what axis you are in before moving the jog wheel. My machine sometimes does not change to the axis that i want after pushing the button.. Make sure the screen shows the axis first. very good habit to get into anyway.

Great Advice

DJR76,

Great advice!

Awesome! Thanks all,

Something I find is helping me that might interest you is a little Iphone app I found. Names simply G-codes, its just a reference of all the standard G and M codes out there along with a basic explanation of each. I find it really helps me fly through programs and understand whats going on.

Just search for G codes and it should be at the top of the list.

Cheers!