585,775 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > New to AC servos; need advise on drive for SGM-02B312
Page 1 of 3 123

New to AC servos; need advise on drive for SGM-02B312

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AC servos; I need advise on a drive for Yaskawa SGM-02B312. I came across an assembly which is perfect for an awning project I contemplate. The only problem is that the motor is SGM-02B312 and I have never played with AC servos.

I quickly figured that I need a drive and figured how to drive the drive (lol) but here is my challenge:

The drives that appear compatible with SGM-02B312 require 200-230v AC input. All I have is the regular split phase 110V mains.

Am I looking for an impossible configuration to drive SGM-02B312 with 110v? If not would one of you gurus suggest a workable configuration for me? What drive with 110v input could be used with SGM-02B312?

I only need the simplest drive for my motor and I will control the drive using the simplest input - say analog voltage for speed control and that's it.

Thank you
    ~B

Re: New to AC servos; need advise on drive for SGM-02B312

You can do it. What is feedback device in your motor? Special or standard encoder?

Thanks Mike, it is a standard sequential encoder with a standard Yaskawa connector for their Servopack drives (the ones that I can only find in 200v versions)

If by 'sequential' encoder you really mean 'incremental' encoder, then good.

If by 'split phase' you mean 220v house power, then good too.

Any drive that can accept that encoder sig and 220v 1ph input AND is fully programmable for motor specs, AND has the input you require (step/dir? analog? ethernet?), AND is rated with enough current for your motor, will do the job. Some may be easier to program than others.

If your motor were an ironless rotor motor, then it may also need an output inductor, but I do not believe they built those.

Can't you find the proper drive cheap on Ebay?

As an example, here is one I supply all the time on a variety of different motor manufacturers motors that meets all those requirements listed above:

AKD Servo Drives | Kollmorgen | Ethernet Based AC Servo Drives Industrial Amplifiers Converters

ok, so looked up your motor in my competative file. 2amp drive required, so go with a 3amp one. 3 in part no is 2048PPR encoder so good there. so a small AKD-B-0306 or equiv would do the job fine with proper parameterization.

bubba198

You need the Yaskawa matching drive for your motor,(well this is the easiest way to do it ) you can use there 220v single phase drives, this is only a 200w motor so any of there single phase drives up to ( 04 ) 400w will work with that motor

You have 220v at you house that will work for these drives, this is a drive # that will work for you SGDA-04AP or a SGD-04AP, these can also be a 02 were the 04 is

Other than doing this Dmm has has low voltage Drives & motors that would work for you
    DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER
    Mactec54

mike_Kilroy

Mike all Yaskawa Encoder have to match up with there drives, they have built in recognition software, & the drive knows as to what motor is attached to it, other drives can be used but is not an easy task to over ride the encoder software
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    bubba198

You need the Yaskawa matching drive for your motor,(well this is the easiest way to do it ) you can use there 220v single phase drives, this is only a 200w motor so any of there single phase drives up to ( 04 ) 400w will work with that motor

You have 220v at you house that will work for these drives, this is a drive # that will work for you SGDA-04AS or a SGD-04AS, these can also be a 02 were the 04 is

Other than doing this Dmm has has low voltage Drives & motors that would work for you
    DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER
    Actually I believe this is wrong information.... He CAN use generic AC drives with this motor.

MY experience with the majority of SGM motors has also been they use their proprietary feedback, but the manual seems to state the type 3 feedback is standard.... I too would double check this before plopping down money on a generic drive though.

Bubba, if you don't have the manual on those motors, you should get it. pm me if you want me to email you a copy of it.

Attached is simple how-to-make-a-part-number page from it. Clearly states the encoder is NOT proprietary - that would have been the ONLY reason you would need the Y. brand drive. You have 3 not 5 or S, the proprietary feedbacks.

update: I cannot upload that page as cnczone upload feature is presently broken. but I could email you the 4mb file....

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    Actually I believe this is wrong information.... He CAN use generic AC drives with this motor.
    Unless you have actually done this, you should not say that this is wrong information, can a generic drive be used, yes it can,( I stated that in the post if you read it ) it is not an easy task for someone that has never worked in motion control, to do this, I'm quite sure you would be struggling to make one work also without knowing what to do to bypass their software

I have many of these old drive in stock, if he wants one
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Unless you have actually done this, you should not say that this is wrong information, can a generic drive be used, yes it can,( I stated that in the post if you read it ) it is not an easy task for someone that has never worked in motion control, to do this, I'm quite sure you would be struggling to make one work also without knowing what to do to bypass their software

I have many of these old drive in stock, if he wants one
    Still say this is wrong info..... I skimmed the manual it is pretty darn clear the type 3 feedback is plain old american a,a-,b,b-,z,z- encoder feedback.

Yes, Y. liked to use their proprietary serial units but this does not appear to be one - check the manual.

I will try again to attach some pages out of it to show this in case cnczone is again working... nope, cnc still broke on attaching pix. but sec 3 of manual shows wiring and it is plain old fashion incremental encoder into 2CN connector if motor choice is 3.

Bubba can use any dam_ amp he wants according to that.

mike_Kilroy

There are other Zone users that have tried to do this, with the same Yaskawa motors before, but have failed, I know of one,that had success, but he is the exception, because of the knowledge that he has on the subject, he was able to do it

Even there latest motors have the same spec encoder, but a much higher c/p/r, there is no way you will run it with any other drive, other than the Yaskawa drive that matches the motor
    Mactec54

guys thanks so much for the feedback; after checking compatibility (encoder and motor amps) I found that it will work with SGDA-02BP (the B being a 110v input and the P being for position control). Both motor and pack are Sigma series and both are actually on the same manual and same power code of 02:0.27HP. Do correct me if that's wrong! Then controlling the actual Servopack via 1CN IO looks well documented and doable.

Now my challenge is that encoder cable that needs to connect to 2CN. The wiring is pretty simple but the connector is strange. Looks like a little SCSI connector with 20 pins. Part # DP9320089-1 but those are like $60 bucks on eBay. Where can one find just the connector and I can whip a cable easily?

Attachment 270514

Quote Originally Posted by bubba198 View Post
    guys thanks so much for the feedback; after checking compatibility (encoder and motor amps) I found that it will work with SGDA-02BP (the B being a 110v input and the P being for position control). Both motor and pack are Sigma series and both are actually on the same manual and same power code of 02:0.27HP. Do correct me if that's wrong! Then controlling the actual Servopack via 1CN IO looks well documented and doable.

Now my challenge is that encoder cable that needs to connect to 2CN. The wiring is pretty simple but the connector is strange. Looks like a little SCSI connector with 20 pins. Part # DP9320089-1 but those are like $60 bucks on eBay. Where can one find just the connector and I can whip a cable easily?

Attachment 270514
    I will see if I have any plugs, I may have some used, yes that motor Drive will work well together, I have some remote programing controls that I may part with if you have a need, photos attached, they can also be programed from your computer with the right cable & software
    Mactec54

mactec54 you are awesome! I do plan to program the servo drive using SigmaWin+ software which I already downloaded from Yaskawa's web site and the RS232 cable is very simple (I actually already have several that would just work judging by the standard pinout) so I would spare you the digital operator you so gracelessly offered but if you find a spare encoder connector I would totally appreciate it!

Thanks

When using the sigma win you need to build a custom cable. At least I had to to get it to communicate. I think I may have been using sigma win lite tho. Not sure of the difference. I was also using USB to serial adapter.

I did not look at the part numbers to much, but if that is a 200v motor you cannot use it with a 110v drive......

edit: never mind just looked at the part number that is indeed a 100v motor must have misread that it was 200v somewhere....

on a side note, yaskawa drives and motors are of great quality, one of my favorites besides omron (who mostly used to have rebranded yaskawa servo systems)

mactec54 you are awesome! I do plan to program the servo drive using SigmaWin+ software which I already downloaded from Yaskawa's web site and the RS232 cable is very simple (I actually already have several that would just work judging by the standard pinout) so I would spare you the digital operator you so gracelessly offered but if you find a spare encoder connector I would totally appreciate it!

Thanks
    The plug you want is made by 3M the Backshell is a 10320 the inside part is a 1020, these are not cheap, the Backshell is $6 to $8, in some cases it is better to buy the premade cables, you can find them cheap sometimes on Ebay, the whole plug can cost you as much as a premade cable

Here is a link to the Backshell you need, they may have the internal parts of the plug as well, I do have one, I have to check & see if I have more, though before I let this one go

10320-52A0-008 - 3M - JUNCTION SHELL, PLASTIC, 180

I think this is the plug as well, just make sure before you buy it that this is the right plug, the Backshell is correct for sure
    10120-6000EL - 3M - MINI D RIBBON, PLUG, 20, IDC/IDT | Newark element14
    Mactec54

bubba198

This cable also may work for you, just check that it is the right one, it is a good price & free shipping

One Yaskawa Yaskawa JZSP CMS02 Cable New | eBay
    Mactec54

Thanks mactec54; JZSP CMS02 Cable on eBay won't work. Connector has too few pins. However the Newark connector is 20 IDC and I'm getting that one.

newman55598 you are correct; the DB9 is wired differently than a standard rs232. My bad. No biggie nonetheless; easy soldering job

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sigma rs232.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	270596

Thanks mactec54; JZSP CMS02 Cable on eBay won't work. Connector has too few pins. However the Newark connector is 20 IDC and I'm getting that one.
    Yes it has the wrong part number, the plug looked similar, if it had less pins it must be a 16 pin

Check that 20 IDC I think it is for a ribbon cable type, which may not be suitable, the link was just to give you an idea of where to look, they should have the right one which will have solder on terminals
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123