584,854 active members*
4,336 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New SB1001

Page 1 of 13 12311

New SB1001

Just brought home a new SB1001 from Muncy, Pa. I've included a few photos of the bench I built for it last summer. It's a shortened HF Oak Bench. I made a router sled to flatten the Chinese oak top before gluing the pc of American red oak to it. Piece of plywood glued to bottom of top and additional red oak legs in the middle. Lastly angle iron connecting the feet and some aluminum angle beefing up the top! Oh yea, the lathe on trailer waiting for someone to open it and the Micro mark 7x16 up for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1277.JPG   IMG_1278.JPG   IMG_1269.JPG  

Nice!!! how is your experience with this one so far .
    I am planning to buy good 5 inch chuck soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	204790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1278.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	204788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1277.JPG 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	204786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1276.JPG 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	204784Attachment 204782
    Quote Originally Posted by harishom View Post
    Nice!!! how is your experience with this one so far .
    I am planning to buy good 5 inch chuck soon.
    I assume you mean the SSB1001. So far I'm uncrating and disassembling the Carriage. There's metal shavings in the crosslide t-slots so I assume the carriage will have to be cleaned inside out. I'll try and unbolt the apron and let it swing down on the half nut, and then slide the carriage off. Hopefully I can clean it up & oil it that way. I'm taking my time, I have no deadline.
    Mike

Pulled carriage off today and cleaned it, found no shavings, just cosmoline. Let Apron hang on the nut and it looks spotless inside. I'll post a couple photos later. BTW crosslide and carriage are hand scraped, nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikbul View Post
    Just brought home a new SB1001 from Muncy, Pa.
    Sort of like Christmas isn't it?
    I've included a few photos of the bench I built for it last summer. It's a shortened HF Oak Bench. I made a router sled to flatten the Chinese oak top before gluing the pc of American red oak to it. Piece of plywood glued to bottom of top and additional red oak legs in the middle. Lastly angle iron connecting the feet and some aluminum angle beefing up the top! Oh yea, the lathe on trailer waiting for someone to open it and the Micro mark 7x16 up for sale.
    Your bench building sounds like something I'd do. I made a router table that ended up so heavy it is a struggle to move it. Keep up the good work.

I'm looking forward to your opinions with respect to that South Bend. I went with a 9x20 years ago, dirt cheap from harbor Freight too. Not complaining at all really but I've seen the South Bend in Grizzlys store and it looks like a significantly higher quality machine.

]
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Sort of like Christmas isn't it?

Your bench building sounds like something I'd do. I made a router table that ended up so heavy it is a struggle to move it. Keep up the good work.

I'm looking forward to your opinions with respect to that South Bend. I went with a 9x20 years ago, dirt cheap from harbor Freight too. Not complaining at all really but I've seen the South Bend in Grizzlys store and it looks like a significantly higher quality machine.
    Actually I made a router sled, three pcs of plywood with a slot that your router just fits into and you swing it left and right. O course you have to put temporary slides on each side of the table for the sled to ride on. Got the SB1001 cleaned up today and was surprised the apron was spotless inside. No need to mess with the lead screw other than clean off the cosmoline. The lead screw end play is good so I just let the apron hang on the nut to get the carriage off. Also the crosslide and carriage are hand scraped, nice! Another nice surprise with this lathe was the three page inspection record with all the runouts, etc. I can tell it's been run quite a bit from the wear-in powder from the belts inside the cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1284.JPG   IMG_1284.JPG  

Just summing up what I see so far with the SB1001. It's superior in quality to my 7x16, I can tell it will be two to three times as rigid, It runs smooth and quiet, clean up was a breeze, my tormach oxa quick change bolted right on to the existing 10mm stud. The tailstock feels as heavy as my 7X16! It'll take me awhile to get it off the floor and mounted even with the carriage and tailstock off, it's heavy. The machining on the ways are a work of art, and the hand scraped crosslide and carriage has to figure into the price. The nice paint and multitudes of oil & grease fittings are also more costly, but what a lathe should have. There are ten grease fittings alone, and I didn't expect an oil fitting on the chuck. Almost every moving piece has a fitting! Sure beats dumping oil on and hoping it goes somewhere good and not just all over the wall. I have a 3-mt ground test bar I'm hoping will jive with the three page test results that came with it.

Name:	IMG_1249.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	204988All photos are of Micro Mark 7X16 except 3r/d. You can see the motor hanging out on bottom right. Sorry for the photos all over, still not used to how these posts work. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1239_1.JPG 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	204992
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1284.JPG  

Unfortunately my brother is of black powder hunting for a week so I had to get the SB1001 up on the bench myself. Little scary but all went well! Picked it up sideways then slid the beam over the bench.Attachment 205028Attachment 205030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	205032 Two of the bolts by the door are in, the come along is handy to drill the other two holes while it's dangling. Still have to put the rubber matt under the lathe that came with it. I'm still wondering if that's a good idea or not? Supposed to cut vibration

This impression you describe below is the feeling I got looking at the lathe at the grizzly store. Even though it is technically a smaller lathe it puts my 9x20 to shame. It is effectively a commercial quality small lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikbul View Post
    Just summing up what I see so far with the SB1001. It's superior in quality to my 7x16, I can tell it will be two to three times as rigid, It runs smooth and quiet, clean up was a breeze, my tormach oxa quick change bolted right on to the existing 10mm stud. The tailstock feels as heavy as my 7X16! It'll take me awhile to get it off the floor and mounted even with the carriage and tailstock off, it's heavy. The machining on the ways are a work of art, and the hand scraped crosslide and carriage has to figure into the price. The nice paint and multitudes of oil & grease fittings are also more costly, but what a lathe should have. There are ten grease fittings alone, and I didn't expect an oil fitting on the chuck.
    A lathe designed to last a lifetime!
    Almost every moving piece has a fitting! Sure beats dumping oil on and hoping it goes somewhere good and not just all over the wall. I have a 3-mt ground test bar I'm hoping will jive with the three page test results that came with it.
    Most likely the test result where done with the lathe leveled. It can be very important even for a beefy design like this machine.

Attachment 205038Attachment 205040I've got an 8" Starrett level that I hope will be big enough to do the job, it's pretty sensitive. I'm not too concerned with the lathe being perfectly level with the outside world just twist in the bedways. I built the bench fairly strong but it is a wooden building with a wooden floor sitting on 4X4's. The top is 2" of red oak glued to 1.5" of oak boards laminated (and leveled with a router) and 3/4" of plywood screwed & glued to the bottom of the laminated oak. I added two additional center legs and they all sit (Bolted) on 2" angle iron. The top of the top is reinforced with heavy aluminum angle. I made it last summer and of course this summer I got a welder. I would have welded up a table out of Square steel tubing. Oh well, time will tell. If the top doesn't twist I'll be happy.
    The photos are before and after leveling the oak top. Nice swimming pool there!

Attachment 205084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.JPG 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	205086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1294.JPG 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	205088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	205090Lathe is on the bench and bolted down. Stuck the Starrett level on the carriage and checked for twist, tiny amount of twist. Just tightened one corner and it's gone. I do have the rubber matts they give you so it's hard to tell how tight each corner is. Could be from me tightening it down anyway. Stuck the 30 thou Attachment 205078[test indicator in the spindle and no measurable run out. Not as good with the test bar, .75 thou at the spindle and 2 thou at 12". I need to re-clean everything and check again. My ground test bar is 3mt and spindle is 4.5mt. They give you a 4.5-3mt sleeve and that could be off. Just happy with the spindle run out. The spindle bearings take the same oil as my John Deere Hydro. Low viscosity Hy- Guard!

Other than Wizard there doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread? I may switch to Practical Machinist, no sense posting to myself!

I have been reading the thread! Very interested as I need a new lathe here pretty soon. I am in State College so I could pick one up in Muncy as well. Just bought a new CNC mill so it will be a while, but figured I would start reading up on it. Seems like a hell of a deal right now and don't want to miss it though. Hmmm, how do I get this one by the wife?

-Keith

Name:	IMG_1296.JPG 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	205554Good to hear of some interest! Been wicked busy at work this week so haven't been able to do any more test, setup. I did stop at the local machine shop today in between service calls and picked up a short test bar to check the run out on the three jaw chuck that comes with it, just have to cut the booger off the end. Don't want to use my 12" test bar for that. I'll post some figures as soon as I can get back out in the shop. Just get her the lathe for Xmas!

If the lathe came with a tennis bracelet it may work! Why did you choose this lathe over something like the grizzly 4002? It seems like a better built machine (and variable speed), but the capacity of the 4002 is much more. I have the 4000 and it leaves much to be desired in the quality department. I haven't gone up to Grizzly yet to compare them side by side but with my very limited knowledge I am not sure I would be able to make a well informed decision anyway. Now if I can only find a way to bribe you to come over and help set it up! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    If the lathe came with a tennis bracelet it may work! Why did you choose this lathe over something like the grizzly 4002? It seems like a better built machine (and variable speed), but the capacity of the 4002 is much more. I have the 4000 and it leaves much to be desired in the quality department. I haven't gone up to Grizzly yet to compare them side by side but with my very limited knowledge I am not sure I would be able to make a well informed decision anyway. Now if I can only find a way to bribe you to come over and help set it up! Haha!
    Several reasons: My 7X16 is variable speed so I'm used to that, I don't need huge capacity, I'll be ordering the 5" D1-3 chuck for it and that's all I'll need. I like the D1-3 chuck, like my 7X16 I used the 3" chuck for certain jobs and the 4" chuck for others. Bonus is no bolts to fiddle with on the D1-3! The quality is also something that really caught my eye, Hardened 3-way V - Bed, oil or grease fittings on everything, 1-1/8" spindle bore, hand scraped dovetails, etc. etc.. Set up was easy, I'm just swamped at work so I can't get back to it! Tonight I threw a piece of ground rod in the chuck to see where that's at. First shot was 1.5 thous. at the chuck and same three inches out. Trouble is if I re-chucked it got worse. My fault, I didn't totally clean the chuck and look for burrs etc. If it's still all over after the proper cleaning then bummer! Let's wait and see what the weekend brings. The ONLY other snag I've run into is the spindle sleeve being off . I'm sending it to Miller Machine to fix. Thing is, SB sells the sleeves for $10.00 and Miller Machine gets $60.00. I would expect to pay more for tighter tolerances. I don't think the MT4.5 spindle sleeve and the chuck are up to the standards of the rest of the lathe. The 5" SB chuck is a true D1-3 with two piece jaws and the 4" that comes with it is bolted to a D1-3 adapter and no two piece jaws. Also it doesn't say South Bend on it so I know it's not made in the same factory as the top of the line SB chucks. Hey, I'm not complaining, I knew this going in, but it does have an oil fitting and is better quality than what came with my 7X16 for sure. The 10K comes with the 5", I wish you could order a lathe with the chuck you want. I 'd pay more for that option. Actually I will be!Attachment 205728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1298.JPG 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	205730

I need to hang my unit heater, and finish the insulation in my shop. It's getting COLD out there! So more on the lathe will have to be in bits and pieces. The insulation in the ceiling will just drop in so that will go quick. What's left on the one wall I have to cut , fit and caulk the edges. I need a robot.

I am going to work on my grizzly this weekend and see if I can dial it in a little more. Then maybe put it on craigslist along with my mill and see if there is any interest. When I sell my mill I will more than likely pick one of these up. Hope they are still on sale then!

-Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    I am going to work on my grizzly this weekend and see if I can dial it in a little more. Then maybe put it on craigslist along with my mill and see if there is any interest. When I sell my mill I will more than likely pick one of these up. Hope they are still on sale then!

-Keith
    Well hurry up will ya!:stickpoke

Page 1 of 13 12311