584,812 active members*
5,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New SB1001

Page 13 of 13 3111213

Re: New SB1001

Mod II is replace the standard transmission bearings with FAG P fives from "Locate Ball Bearings".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	235962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	235964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1889.JPG 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	235966

Mod III was drilling pulley side drain at same height as chuck side drain which is center of lowest roller and right where Timkin recommends a drain to stop surging/friction/heat build up. Don't worry the stock bearing will overflow into the headstock if you overfill it.

Attachment 235968Attachment 235970Attachment 235972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2085.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	235974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2088.JPG 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	235976

Mod four is a heavy gauge but flexible plastic notebook cover I made two splash guards or dams to keep oil out of the headstock. I'll rough them up and inside the headstock and epoxy in place. Plenty of room to pass the journals through when my spindle arrives.
    I've been thinking about a permanent tube from one side to the other to totally isolate the spindle and it's oil which would be a much better solution.

Attachment 235978

Quote Originally Posted by dmalicky View Post
    Thanks for the info -- that's helpful.
    I know I don't know your situation but I'm on my third replacement spindle. The first was cosmetically rough on the corners and the threads were buggered but also fixable but I could have cleaned all that up. What I couldn't fix was the undersize journal.
    The second spindle was perfect! Except the holes for the camlocks were .040" too small.
    The third looked like a used spindle and just not acceptable, so if this next one is bad things don't look good for me. That's why I said if your replacement spindle has good measurements on the journals, no damage to the spindle nose especially the camlock taper then I would hang on to it like a life raft.
    Mikbul

Hi All:

This forum is huge. I wasn't sure the best place to post this. Hopefully I can get the answers I need here.

I am looking at buying a Southbend SB1001 8K lathe because - based on all my reading here- this is a higher quality lathe for the small Chinese made lathes. My intentions are to Convert it to CNC. I have run into a few issues though.
    1). I hear the 8K might be discontinued and parts may be hard to get. Can anyone confirm that?
    2). I don't see anyone that has converted this lathe to CNC
    3). I can't seem to fin any 8X conversion kits around. Does anyone do this....anywhere.?

If the SB1001 8K is not a good candidate, than does anyone have advice for one that is? I am limited on space, so the 8K is about as large as I can fit.

Thanks.

Mike Norman
    G-Force Racing Development
    www.mngforce.com

Quote Originally Posted by mngforce View Post
    Hi All:

This forum is huge. I wasn't sure the best place to post this. Hopefully I can get the answers I need here.

I am looking at buying a Southbend SB1001 8K lathe because - based on all my reading here- this is a higher quality lathe for the small Chinese made lathes. My intentions are to Convert it to CNC. I have run into a few issues though.
    1). I hear the 8K might be discontinued and parts may be hard to get. Can anyone confirm that?
    3). I can't seem to fin any 8X conversion kits around. Does anyone do this....anywhere.?

If the SB1001 8K is not a good candidate, than does anyone have advice for one that is? I am limited on space, so the 8K is about as large as I can fit.

Thanks.

Mike Norman
    www.mngforce.com
    "Cutting Chips" Post # 229 s converting to CNC
    Mikbul

Hi All:

Thanks.

Mike Norman
    www.mngforce.com
    Are you following me around? Guess I'm not the only one working on acquiring new skill sets.

Everyone here treat Mike very nicely. He's a super sharp guy with lots of good ideas and tons of engineering experience.

Mike you'll be unhappy to know the VFR got pretty heavily taco'd at VIR last year. Folded up a perfectly good magnesium rear and generally beat up and broke just about everything else.

So what ya workin on? Something good?

She's not this pretty anymore....

Name:	CMP.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	236570

Quote Originally Posted by Mikbul View Post
    EDN: just read your post and I would just file those threads clean on the pulley side and that scratch will make no difference to the machine's operation as long as there's no burrs sticking up. That's an interference fit and you could drill a small hole in the journal and it wouldn't make a difference. I'm still waiting for my third spindle and if I had that one it would already be back in my lathe.
    Missed your sentence about the D1 taper being bitten off otherwise I wouldn't have wrote that reply.
    Mikbul

Updated list:

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	236602

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    Are you following me around? Guess I'm not the only one working on acquiring new skill sets.

Everyone here treat Mike very nicely. He's a super sharp guy with lots of good ideas and tons of engineering experience.

Mike you'll be unhappy to know the VFR got pretty heavily taco'd at VIR last year. Folded up a perfectly good magnesium rear and generally beat up and broke just about everything else.

So what ya workin on? Something good?

She's not this pretty anymore....

Name:	CMP.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	236570
    Wow, hey Kenny! I think it is YOU following ME ;-)

What have I been up to? That all depends on when the last time I talked to you was. I left Kawasaki in 2011 to work for Elrod. Got Laid Off for a year. Then, just took a job as the Quality Manager at Honda Performance Development, the IndyCar Race Engine division of Honda here in California. We design, manufacture, test, develop and race the IRL engine and Le Mans/Daytona Prototype cars out of our facility. I now live 300 miles from the Main G-Force, but am continuing the development of the V-4s from my home in Southern CA. I am also developing something very exciting for the NC chassis.....but that's a secret for now

The machining equipment I am looking for now is to set-up my garage to prototype parts for these projects. I am hoping for the lathe like I described here, as well as a G0704 CNC mill (maybe through Midewest Machine Works).

I am so, so sorry to hear about the Taco'd bike. Let me know if there are any parts I can help you with - including frames. And, thanks for the props to the forum. Definitely appreciated.

Mike Norman
    www.mngforce.com

"Cutting Chips" Post # 229 s converting to CNC
    Mikbul
    Mikbul, thank you. I tried to look up the thread you mentioned above, but couldn't find it. Can you supply a link?

Thanks.

Mike Norman
    www.mngforce.com

Mikbul, thank you. I tried to look up the thread you mentioned above, but couldn't find it. Can you supply a link?

Thanks.

Mike Norman
    www.mngforce.com
    Hi Mike,
    Go back to page two and down to #229.
    The page numbers are at the bottom and top of each page.
    Mikbul

Wow, hey Kenny! I think it is YOU following ME ;-)

What have I been up to? That all depends on when the last time I talked to you was. I left Kawasaki in 2011 to work for Elrod. Got Laid Off for a year. Then, just took a job as the Quality Manager at Honda Performance Development, the IndyCar Race Engine division of Honda here in California. We design, manufacture, test, develop and race the IRL engine and Le Mans/Daytona Prototype cars out of our facility. I now live 300 miles from the Main G-Force, but am continuing the development of the V-4s from my home in Southern CA. I am also developing something very exciting for the NC chassis.....but that's a secret for now

The machining equipment I am looking for now is to set-up my garage to prototype parts for these projects. I am hoping for the lathe like I described here, as well as a G0704 CNC mill (maybe through Midewest Machine Works).

I am so, so sorry to hear about the Taco'd bike. Let me know if there are any parts I can help you with - including frames. And, thanks for the props to the forum. Definitely appreciated.

Mike Norman
    www.mngforce.com
    There's a bunch of clever guys running around this site. You'll fit right in.

That's racing. It's mostly repaired I'm just taking my time putting it back together and using it as an excuse to work on learning all I can about the machining.

Hi Mike,
    Go back to page two and down to #229.
    The page numbers are at the bottom and top of each page.
    Mikbul
    Mike post #229 is now on page 3. It's kind of a strange site but page one or the most recent post will always come up on your favorites. On PM and HMEM I have to update my favorites whenever there's a new page. Were you able to find post #229?
    Mikbul

The SB1001 serial # and manufacture date are on the front top of the pulley cover door above all the threading and pulley speed decals on the lathe ID decal.
    I've taken my time and shared my spindle mods and am disappointed that six owners won't give me the time of day to complete the 8K WTF is going on with the spindles project list. Now I remember why I bailed on this site.

Tormach OXA Tool post

I'm using the Tormach OXA from the Little Machine Shop, bolted right on. I bought the premium package and I'll be using everything but the 1/2" chuck. I'm letting that go with the 7X16 and I bought a South Bend 5/8" instead. The Tormach is a wedge style and takes up to 1/2" tools but I've got 3/8" except for the cut off which is 1/2". Tools are US made AR Warner Co. carbide insert. Parting blade is AR Warner Co. M2 HSS

On the Tormach OXA tool post, did you have to do any modification to the lathe to install it on the lathe? The guy at Little Machine Shop said that I might have to modify somehing to get it to mount on the lathe. And Grizzly told me I'm out of luck trying to get one to work with the South Bend 8K.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since no one answer back I took a gamble and ordered the Tormach OXA tool from the Little Machine Shop (3112 Quick Change Tool Post Set, Tormach 0XA - http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=-419988835). It was a direct drop in, took all of 2 minutes to install.

Name:	QC Tool post holder.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	251191

This thread is a treasure trove of information. I also want to take a drive to the PA Grizzly store and browse the lathes. Its kind of a toss up between the 8K, and the G9972

I am going to order the lathe within the next 24 hours this thread certainly was the deciding factor as I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck .

Thanks guys awesome input

Page 13 of 13 3111213