585,970 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New CNC Hurco MB-1

I recently purchased a Hurco MB-1. This is my first CNC machine so any advice on starting out would help. From the factory this machine had the B (0.001) controller coolant and a 13 tool tool changer. I'm unsure of most of the specs of the machine since all I have is the operating manual for the controller (which I am immensely grateful for). The machine has had the controller upgraded so the operating manual isn't entirely accurate. I believe the controller is currently upgraded to the BX (0.0001) model with a behind the tape deck setup with a Hurco label. There is an add-on box plugged into the round RS232 port on the bottom of the box with the servo control. The device doesn't ask for a master on boot it brings up a master select menu that I'm not certain of what all the setting are, but it allows you to choose the master file, to load a part, and other stuff like that.
    Right now I have the x axis servo off the machine because the motor has a busted magnet other than that the machine seems mechanically sound. If anyone know the best way to fix the servo (repair, buy rebuilt, use, ect.) I would appreciate the advice. I'm also looking for CAD and CAM software that is free or affordable. I will be doing most or all the work myself to get the machine up into production. I bought it second hand, but it was supposed to be lightly used at the last shop it was at since it was a little on the small side for what they were doing. My goal is to get this into prodction in some small simple parts to start with and start earning back the cost of the machine.

Re: New CNC Hurco MB-1

I was able to get a rebuilt servo motor from Shane at Martin CNC. He was also able to tell me which controller I upgrade I have it's a BxMPU HurcoMemMaster MPU Board, and has the masters permanently burned on the board for Conversational, NC and calc assist programming. Right now the main problem I'm having is after replacing the servo motor when I try to reset the table zero it hits the end of the x-axis and sets a motion error before it hits the x-axis limit switch. Does anyone know where the x-axis limit switch is? Or what could be causing this I'm not entirely certain yet as to how the machine tells position. So any information would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the machine.
    Attachment 251188
    Attachment 251190
    (the back is off the control box because the monitor is finicky, but I believe it's a loose connection on the controller in the back box)
    Right now due to no table zero I can't check the system and see what it can do in automatic, so I'm in cleaning maintenance, and repair (mainly bent covers) mode. Any advice on things that I should check or maintain would be welcome.

Follow a cable from the control box to where it goes on the table, you should find the limit switches there.
    Kind of like the one in your first picture.

I found the problem with the limit switches. When I pulled the cover off the front of the table when the servo motor failed to try and move the table the last few inches to expose the coupling so I could remove the motor I pulled the rod that move past the switches and activated them. The rod (picture below) was cover in chips which made it less sensitive and there was just enough play so that it could be set out of range. I readjusted it and now the machine works great.
    Attachment 251374Attachment 251374Attachment 251374
    I was able to figure out how to run a basic program to test the machine in the conversational master after I got the table zeroed.

I have a couple questions I need help with on this still.
    1. I would like to use g-code and a CAD/CAM system with this machine. Shane (martin cnc) recommended Bobcad and master cam saying that both worked with the upgrade board he produces. I was wondering if anyone had experience with using either of these programs with an HURCO, and if anyone knows of any free or cheap programs that might work until I can afford one of the nicer programs?
    2. Does anyone know where I could get a machine manual for this I have the operators manual, but nothing on the mechanical systems like maintenance and specs?
    3. What would be good books/videos/articles about learning to use a cnc machine?
    4. Does anyone know about the tool changers on these machines? I could use advice on using it properly the operating manual is kind of vague.
    5. I know the machine is capable of tapping and it came with a few taps in holders among the tooling, but I'm not sure what type of tool holder would work with these.
    Attachment 251382
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Mastercam runs 8 or 10k so it might be out of reach but it's a great program. Bobcad can usually be had much cheaper then the advertised price and is also a good program.

Ben

I have a couple questions I need help with on this still.
    1. I would like to use g-code and a CAD/CAM system with this machine. Shane (martin cnc) recommended Bobcad and master cam saying that both worked with the upgrade board he produces. I was wondering if anyone had experience with using either of these programs with an HURCO, and if anyone knows of any free or cheap programs that might work until I can afford one of the nicer programs?

Dolphin CAM is here in Pittsburgh and it seems to be a nice program with great graphical interface - $795 I think.

2. Does anyone know where I could get a machine manual for this I have the operators manual, but nothing on the mechanical systems like maintenance and specs?

Check and see if Martin CNC has a copy for sale. I have an MB-3 so I don't think It would help you.

3. What would be good books/videos/articles about learning to use a cnc machine? N/Answer

4. Does anyone know about the tool changers on these machines? I could use advice on using it properly the operating manual is kind of vague. ON mine - Press ENTER, choose TOOLs, With none of the other lights on to the left of the screen but the tool changer in AUTO press START (Air pressure at over 100PSI) and the tool on the Tool screen should be put into the changer. In programs T9 M6 puts tool 9 in the spindle.

5. I know the machine is capable of tapping and it came with a few taps in holders among the tooling, but I'm not sure what type of tool holder would work with these. What you show is a 'Blitz type' tap holder. You need a tension/compression type holder like the Biltz to make up for the minor feed advance errors of a machine of 1980's vintage.

So I've been away for a while busy with other stuff, and out of money for the machine. I've been trying to get the pneumatic system (frl unit) sealed up because it was leaking pretty bad. I've about cut the leaks down to reasonable levels, but I haven't been able to check the function of the air oiler in the head of the mill. There are 3 misters up in the head of the mill 2 by the motor (1 on either side) and 1 below that by the tool change system. The mister on the left top actuates when the tool holder is operated, but none of the others do, and I'm trying to figure out when they are supposed to operate so I can verify that they work. Once I get this taken care of and a plugged grease port on the head the machine should be usable with everything working but the automatic tool changer.

I was able to confirm that the pneumatic system in the head was working properly and was not hugely important (just to keep a little oil on the tool change system won't cause a catastrophic failure). While I was working on that I was able to start the diagnostic on the tool changer. The spindle does not rotate when a tool change is initiated causing a code 66. The spindle control has been upgraded to a Yaskawa AC Drive-V1000. The spindle operates normally for all other functions, but when the tool change is engaged the light on the VFD to indicate that it is commanded on lights up and the display show a frequency of 0. The minimum frequency is set to 1.8. I don't have much experience with using a VFD, and I'm not certain how this machine commands speed or direction to the spindle so some help in that direction would be appreciated.
    I'm also having trouble with the Z-axis it will stop during motion and give a motion error randomly and is worse cold. I don't have much experience with these motors and a direction in diagnostic would be appreciated.

So I found the minimum speed setting on my VFD it was not able detect the reference current from the machine and so I gave it a minimum rotation speed for when the spindle is turned on.
    Now I'm getting a code 25 tool changer error.
    ERROR CODE: 25
    "Shot pin" in; "Shot pin" out; Same limit switch.
    was what I was able to find any advice on diagnosing the problem would be helpful.
    On the z-axis I had it suggested that it might be the brushes, I have noticed they work better warm than cold. I'm also looking for a source for parts for the machine.
    I will call midwest cnc tomorrow and see if they can help as well.

I have the machine working now when it's warm 50 deg. f and up and the machine can work once it's warmed up, but if it's bellow 30s I can't even keep the drive relay on. My x and y axis work fine between 30 and 50 but my z axis will just stop sometimes mid motion during a fast move. After the after the machine is warmed it works perfectly manually moving the z axis at max speed, but still can freeze under automatic control. I have the machine very close to working. As soon as I can get the z axis working better it will be ready for a test run. I just need to know if there's a problem aggravated by the cold or if the machine just has cold temp issues.
    Also, does anyone have any recommend maintenance on one these machines that has sat for a while aside from lubing everything?

So an update on the machine. I have the tool changer and Z-axis working all the time now (it's warm). The tool changer was having position reading trouble, but after I blew the sensors off (some of the covers are missing) and it started working much better. I pulled the z servo and cleaned the armature and brushes, but with as warm as it is I don't know if that helped or not. I'm slowly but surely getting this machine going. I will post more pictures and video possibly if and when I get the machine finished (I need to adjust the tool changer chain tension, and put a number of covers back on).

So I'm thinking about getting back to working on the Hurco after a long hiatus. I found an amazing deal on a Bridgeport VMC about a year ago, and had the money so it's been distracting me. Now that I have most of the kinks in it ironed out (it was working with just a few minor issues and a major issue I created I have another post about it) I have time to get back to the Hurco. The Z axis issue has been getting steadily worse, and an issue with the spindle speed sensor dropping out is popping up. I will probably swap the Z and X axis servos if they are the same (I think they are but need to check) to eliminate the the wiring and driver from my suspect list, and the X axis is easier to work on than the Z. I had started putting the machine back together because it was mostly working, but then the Z axis quit going to the correct height for the tool change for some reason (when I was trying to show off the machine for the first time no less). So if anyone has any ideas there it would be appreciated.

So I was able to spend some time on the machine last week. The spindle speed RPM problem was causing issues, and nothing I tried would get it to go away until I cleaned one of the control board connectors (it was there cleaned the connector and re powered the machine and it was gone). This is why it seems that most of my problems may be caused by connection problems on the control boards. As I move and clean the connectors problems come and go. I cleaned the servo board connectors and the main board connectors, and the Z axis started working fine so it may just be a bad connection. I won't know until I get to work on it again since the Z axis would also get better with use. The incorrect height with the Z axis when changing tools appears to have been caused by the way the wires were routed under the Z servo cover after I installed it. With the cover removed I was able to get the Z axis to go to the correct height.
    I have problems coming and going on the machine right now, but I seem to be making progress.
    One minor, but annoying issue is a problem that has developed with the CRT. I can still use it, but it has a vertical line on every spot a symbol could be placed. (see picture)
    Attachment 305422
    If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it I would appreciate it.
    The only other issue I'm having is the ATC throwing a code 64 (While moving the tool magazine arm in to "get a tool" or "put a tool" in the spindle, during tool change, a check is made for the "magazine-in-position" switch. If not detected, the error code is displayed.), but I suspect this is another problem connection with the controller since it was working earlier or a problem with the tool position sensor on the carousel. I'm not sure what switch they are talking about so if anyone knows it would help me to know.

So the machine is worse than I was hoping. Not sure what is wrong, but it's seems fairly serious. The RPM sensor was acting up again, and I think I know, which connector it is now. The Z axis is still acting up a little though it is better than it had been. On occasion when a move is commanded it will delay then lurch into motion. I'm starting to suspect the commands may not be reaching the servo driver.
    So I was just running some test to see if it was better or worse today since the machine will work better after a day of working on it. I cleaned some of the screen connectors hoping that might help the line issue (it didn't). I tested the tool changer, and it worked a couple times. Then I noticed that sometimes when the shot pin engages to line the spindle up for the tool change it will stop the spindle early. I'm already running the spindle a little faster than it is supposed to be for line up because the motor is weak moving that slow. So, I want to use a little sand paper to polish that part of the spindle because it was rough from the shot pin. I was running the spindle slow to oil it after polishing it when the machine went ballistic. It blew up the shot pin engaged sensor (using the shot pin as far as I can tell) ran the tool changer arm all the way back. The only buttons I pressed were spindle on and start so only the spindle should have come on like the last 2-3 time I had turned it on. I had done this or similar much milder a couple time before, and I just thought it was a loose connection to a button or something activating other systems. I'm starting to suspect that I may have a problem with one or more of my control boards. I will be pulling them tomorrow to see if I can see the problem and check them over.

Hello Gaheiras,

As I am retrofitting one Hurco like yours I can say that all your problems are with proxy sensors and they are all the same 5Vdc type, so look at the cabinet in the lower left there is a PSU, check 5Vdc rail you might have unstable or low voltage.

I will definitely check that as soon as I can. I haven't seen any voltage issues, but I haven't been looking for any. I don't have any wiring, maintenance, or troubleshooting information for this machine so I'm flying blind here. (I do have a manual, but it's just the operator's)
    So I have gotten some stuff back working on the machine. I rebuilt the shot pin sensor using another switch to replace the shattered portion. I switched the x and z axis motors and it was actually a little worse so I'm fairly certain it's something to do with the servo control board. I think the problem with the machine going crazy was a bent pin on the main control board (my fault). I pulled and cleaned all the boards (and fixed the bent pin) that seemed to help with some of the little issues of touchy controls or random buttons not working.
    Three of the 4 control boards in the machine are upgrades from Martin CNC. The servo board, main control board, and the last is the interface or memory board I'm not sure witch. I noticed on the servo board there were 3 adjustable components, and one was in a significantly different position than the other 2 so I thought that these might be fine tuning for the motor control and it might be the z axis. I turned it a little and the Z axis started working much more reliably. It may have been just not properly adjusted. (wouldn't be the only improperly setup upgrade, or it could be a problem with a 5V current as well)
    I'm making progress, and I am hopeful. A problem 5V transformer would make a good deal of sense thanks for the tip.

So I checked the 5V supply my meter reads the voltages at 4.9-4.6, and they seem to be rock steady. The voltage at the rpm sensor is 4.8V and doesn't fluctuate. So as far as I can tell this unfortunately does not seem to be the problem.

So I finally broke down and contacted Martin CNC and talked to Shane. He told me how to calibrate my z-axis servo control board to fix the z-axis. The z-axis did need to be calibrated, but it hasn't seemed to help.
    The no rpm issue turns out to be a problem with IJ5 pin 5, which according to Shane should be 24V when the spindle is off and drop to 0V when the spindle turns on telling the control board the spindle started. (I may have misunderstood there was a lot of information) The wire in pin 5 is grounded to machine ground at all times as far as I can tell.
    The screen issue is a problem with my front board, which I will send in to have fixed once I get the other issues fixed.