585,708 active members*
3,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Networking Path Pilot

G'day all,

I got a newsletter the other day and Tormach is now selling a USB wireless network adapter that supposedly only works with Path Pilot?

Anybody manage to get a generic wireless adapter to work or do I really need to buy their one?

I'm still curious if anyone has managed to get some sort of file manager to work, other than the one built into Path Pilot

Michael

Re: Networking Path Pilot

Presumably if you get a network adapter that Ubuntu 10 OS can plug-and-play it will work, but as usual you are on your own for support. I plugged the network cable into a wireless bridge for mine since that was already handy. I'm guessing Tormach says for PP only to avoid Mach users wanting to wireless network their machines.

I do file management on the network share from another PC. Files can be dragged and dropped around in the UI but no metadata is annoying.

I'm looking into the Edimax EW-7811Un and EW-7811UnR2 to see if either of these will work with PathPilot. I got both of them for $25 which is what it would have cost me for the 1 from Tormach because of the shipping. I support them with lots of other purchases. I don't think they'll hurt too much on this one.

I used a usb extension cable to connect mine so I could run it outside the cabinet thru the hole in the back, It worked fine for internet connection etc, but I couldnt load from a usb thumb drive, it wouldnt recognize it. I unplugged the adapter and it worked fine again loading files from the usb thumb drive. I plan to try a shorter cable in the future, this was a 6 footer and I only need about an 18" one to reach outside the hole in the back of the machine compartment.
    mike sr

Don't expect TorMach to support it, but I did find that the EDIMAX EW-7811Un USB adapter works with Pathpilot. Other adapters may work as well. Tormach puts out a PDF on how to configure the wireless network settings in PathPilot, so use that, but if you have problems using a USB adapter that you did not buy from them, don't expect them to support it. If you are too far away from your wireless router and/or there is too much interference, USB wireless may not be the best way to go. There are Wireless Ethernet/LAN Bridges that take more work to configure / setup and once they are setup you can plug them into any ethernet port and they will connect to your wireless network automatically. The best versions of these adapters have 2 or more antennas and get a much better signal. Not to mention you can get a longer ethernet cord and move them around to find the best spot. If you are inside a grounded metal building, you're SOL without some more advanced work if your wireless network is outside of the building. There are ways to do it, but that is way beyond what I'll talk about on this post.

I have the R2 (version 2, basically) of that adapter on order also and will find out if it works, too. There may be other adapters that work. I'm not sure.

USB Extension cables will vary. Some cables are cheaply made and they simply add too much resistance to work properly for some devices. (In other words the crappy cables themselves use up some of the power of the USB port and the item you plug into the end of it doesn't work right. I've also had this happen with memory sticks and other devices echoing popspipes experience.)

EDIT: I suspect that any RTL8188CUS based chipset USB adapter *may* work, but I don't know. Just a Linux guess here. I'm going to buy a cheap $5 on amazon that has an external antenna and give it a try. That might help people who are having borderline range / wifi problems that a better antenna *might* help.

when u guys say a "quality USB cable" can u post a link to a model number or something to look for to validate they are "quality" for us non-computer savy guys?

even the cheap junk cables will probably say they are top quality when they are not.

thanks guys

Carlos
    TPR Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by TPR View Post
    when u guys say a "quality USB cable" can u post a link to a model number or something to look for to validate they are "quality" for us non-computer savy guys?

even the cheap junk cables will probably say they are top quality when they are not.

thanks guys

Carlos
    TPR Motorsports
    Higher gauge, (smaller awg value) the better. Monoprice is a good place to start.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/catalog/productlist?maincategoryid=102&categoryid=10303&su bcategoryid=1030304&searchtype=subcategory