585,729 active members*
5,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Nema 23 problem

Hi, in advance i am a newbie
    i have recently purchased a 3 axis nema 23 stepper motor, TB6560 driver board and a 48 volt power supply kit. i have everything running but the motors will only run a 50 percent jog rate because if they are run at full speed the motor will turn when the button is pressed but then will immediately shut of but make the sound that it is moving and then will spin a little bit when the button is released. i tried running some sample code and it did the same thing. it works at a low speed but it can not set steps per inch because the motors are having this problem.
    can anyone help
    thanks

Re: Nema 23 problem

You'll need to peruse the many, many posts on these crappy controllers, unfortunately they are absolute garbage, but some people have sort of got them working, to a certain degree anyway, by re-designing parts of the circuit board.

The TB6560 boards on Ebay are an inferior design poorly implimented, period. They are extremely susceptible to noise, and have a very peculiar power on/off sequence, that will destroy the IC's if deviated from.

I'd suggest run a mile and look at the massmind or Gecko stuff instead. Even if it costs, something that works is cheaper in the long run than something that doesn't.

Another point, without knowing what kit you bought, the steppers may not be usable, depending on the inductance rating. Most of the cheap Ebay kits flog ridiculous high inductance steppers, which require a power supply well in excess of what's supplied. That 48VDC PSU you got is already too high for the driver board, so even if you can somehow get the board going, you'll be limited to 36VDC max, which I'm betting is way too low for the steppers you got with the kit.

The way to work out what power rating your steppers need, is 32 times the square root of the inductance of the stepper = ??VDC.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!