584,871 active members*
5,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Needing a little extra X axis travel in bench machine
Page 1 of 2 12

Needing a little extra X axis travel in bench machine

Hey guys I know I am a new guy here but I am looking for suggestions in a setup.

This fall I am going to be purchasing a sherline 2000 series mill. The problem is for some projects I have planned in the future I will be needing ~15" of travel in the X axis. I see that Sherline has an 18" bed but when mounted to the Y axis bed the travel is reduced to 13 3/8". So what I was thinking is mounting the mill headstock to an 8" slide and mounting that to the Z axis slide for an extra 4" of travel.

I do plan on putting at least DRO on the machine right away and the extra slide won't be done until probably next summer but I like to have a plan in place. I do understand that moving the extra slide will nullify any zero settings on the DRO, but I just don't want to have to remove the part and have to resetup that.

Thoughts comments and suggestions welcome.

Re: Needing a little extra X axis travel in bench machine

Go for a G0704 instead? From what I have understood, a class higher than the Sieg, with the needed travel and you don't have to rig up something to get the travel you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Go for a G0704 instead? From what I have understood, a class higher than the Sieg, with the needed travel and you don't have to rig up something to get the travel you need.
    While I appreciate the suggestion, I really want to stay with a US made machine, preferably new.

not really sure what it is that you are making... but adding another moving component to the head can only hurt rigidity.

I think your best bet would be to machine what you can in one setup and maybe make a fixture that can hold your semi finished part and has a pick point so you can finish the part.

Or like others have said, go for a bigger mill ! Not sure if there is another maker of mini \ benchtop sized machine in the US?

Andrew

You will loose any strength of the column if you put a slide on it. They are not that rigid to begin with. You would really need two columns. Then you are talking complete machine redesign. I can appreciate the US made aspect, but to me it is not logical to buy a machine that will not do what you need. You would be better off designing and building your own. At least it would still be made in the US.
    Lee

I got to thinking about it guys. And with the extra movements in the head about the X and Y axis just in the mount at the top rear of the mount I should be able to swing all the way around a 6"x14" piece. This would be the absolute biggest part I would ever mill in this. It would most likely be 6061 T6. One of my other hobbies is mechanical keyboards for computers and it would be a case for a ten key less sized keyboard milled from a block of aluminum.

I feel I should be able to get where I want with just swapping out the bed for the 18" version.

Save your money and disappointment. Sherline would even recommend something else. Yes a Sherline will cut aluminum, really slowly and will need babysitting the entire time. Dont watch Tryally of YouTube fame and expect the same results any time soon.

Btw we all want to support our economy. Grizzly has employees here.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvang View Post
    While I appreciate the suggestion, I really want to stay with a US made machine, preferably new.
    Posted with a Chinese computer. Beyond the little dig, supporting your country is more complex than just buying parts made here. As Fastest 1 says, Grizzly employs Americans- probably a lot more than Sherline. As an American, your own time and energy are a part of our overall economy as well, and wasting a whole bunch of it in a futile attempt to make a small machine do a big job is not helping either.

Well looks like I won't be posting on any more machining forums. This is the 4th one that I get multiple people telling me I am an idiot for wanting to stick with US made products. I guess I had a short stay here.

Well looks like I won't be posting on any more machining forums. This is the 4th one that I get multiple people telling me I am an idiot for wanting to stick with US made products. I guess I had a short stay here.
    the 4th one huh, and nothing has sunk in yet huh, nobody here called you an idiot but you seem to be more perceptive than us.

That is merely a by product of what was suggested. The Sherline is a hobby mill at best. Not designed for production. It can machine aluminum as stated, by when you are machining at the machine's extents, then the lack of rigidity in the system will show much more than it does in the middle of the bed. I'm not telling you how to spend your money. I just would not do it on that machine with your needs.
    You did ask for suggestions and mentioned that you do not want to reference and move the part for a second op. That pretty much eliminates the Sherline IMO.

No need to leave because you didn't like what was suggested. Show us how you make the Sherline work. I don't mind being proven wrong.
    Lee

I'm sorry but I will not buy foreign products when there is a reasonable US made part. I work as a union millwright and everytime someone brings in foreign tools, they are total junk. Haven't seen a quality foreign tool yet. This ranges from combination wrenches to drill press to a brake. Granted yes the parts inside my computer are foreign but I built the computer. If you can find me parts that are on par performance wise with an i7-2600k and a 680GTX.

I don't care if it cuts slower, its not for production work. I probably won't even sell the parts I do make. But for some of the larger parts (ten key less keyboard case), within 4 pieces or so, barring breaking some of the more expensive parts on the machine, it will have already paid for itself in the labor I would have spent having someone else make it.

I would love to pick up a bridgeport or something of 3/4 that size. But I dont' have the room, the only place where i have more than 120 on my property is for the dryer, and I am going to be moving inside of a year. I probably won't even be to the point of doing a keyboard case by then. I was just planning around the biggest part I ever plan on building.

I didnt call anybody an idiot and dont believe anyone here is one. I do however have a few Sherlines, a Monster Mill, G0704, RF30 and a Dyna 2400. I just cant begin to tell you how much more work it is to do on a little machine.

We all get the pride thing and quality machines and tooling.

However at no time until the Chinese started making them, could the average Joe have a machine that was repeatable to .001-.005 in their garage for a grand, plus a little sweat and know how. I want a Haas Mini but til then the others will have to do. I have nothing against the Chinese. I do have something against US leaders and their organizations that made business too expensive to run here.

It is admirable that you want to stick with a USA made mill, however the problem is your specifications. You asked about a benchtop mill with bigger travel than the sherline, USA made, and new. As far as I know, that animal doesn't exist. That right there could be why people keep steering you toward the Chinese mills. You may be able to find a used UK made machine, or a small knee mill. Clausing made a nice small knee mill but you would have to go used. It is a knee mill, but is small enough that it has to have a stand under it.

here is an example of the clausing on ebay right now

Clausing Vertical Milling Machine | eBay
    Clausing Mill This Is The One to Buy | eBay

[QUOTE=Melvang;1568038]I'm sorry but I will not buy foreign products when there is a reasonable US made part. I work as a union millwright and everytime someone brings in foreign tools, they are total junk. Haven't seen a quality foreign tool yet. This ranges from combination wrenches to drill press to a brake. Granted yes the parts inside my computer are foreign but I built the computer. If you can find me parts that are on par performance wise with an i7-2600k and a 680GTX.

Melvang,
    You need to get real, we live in a global economy. There is not and never has been a product that was 100% made in USA. If you have a chance to visit the Sherline factory, you may notice some of their production machines are foreign made, you may even notice that some of their employees are " ethnically diverse". Take a look at their product line and you will find that the stepper motors they use are Chinese and I suspect other components as well. If you are committed to 100% USA made, then I suggest you find your self an American Engineering firm, have them do your blueprints, then find an American foundry and have your castings made, then go to a Union machine shop and have the parts machined and then do the assembly and testing yourself. Otherwise you are just some guy marching up and down the street in a pair of Chinese shoes waiving the American flag.
    Sorry for the rant, but one of my major peeves is the " summer soldier and sunshine patriot ".

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
    I'm sorry but I will not buy foreign products when there is a reasonable US made part. I work as a union millwright and everytime someone brings in foreign tools, they are total junk. Haven't seen a quality foreign tool yet. This ranges from combination wrenches to drill press to a brake. Granted yes the parts inside my computer are foreign but I built the computer. If you can find me parts that are on par performance wise with an i7-2600k and a 680GTX.
    Melvang,
    You need to get real, we live in a global economy. There is not and never has been a product that was 100% made in USA. If you have a chance to visit the Sherline factory, you may notice some of their production machines are foreign made, you may even notice that some of their employees are " ethnically diverse". Take a look at their product line and you will find that the stepper motors they use are Chinese and I suspect other components as well. If you are committed to 100% USA made, then I suggest you find your self an American Engineering firm, have them do your blueprints, then find an American foundry and have your castings made, then go to a Union machine shop and have the parts machined and then do the assembly and testing yourself. Otherwise you are just some guy marching up and down the street in a pair of Chinese shoes waiving the American flag.
    Sorry for the rant, but one of my major peeves is the " summer soldier and sunshine patriot ".
    (wedge)

well put!

Melvang,

If you can Find an american made machine that is "on par performance wise" with an imported benchtop machine let us know. I'm sure there are more than a few that would like to have one.

Andrew

Melvang might have left the building. Too bad, this is the site for CNC.

I haven't left yet, just trying to figure out why I am the bad guy for wanting to make an attempt to stay with US made products. I have tools that are 100% US made, along with tools where the company's entire product line is 100% US sourced, including my metatarsal work boots.

Back on topic. Thank you guys for the insight. I am going to abandon the idea of the extra slide on the Z axis column to attain the extra X travel. Again, I am not worried about being able to hog out loads of material quick. This is not for production work by any means. Just something as a constructive offshoot of one of my main hobbies.

Well I am off for the day. Just got off work, time to head to the local museum. I drink coffee with some other vets on Wed mornings. Then off to bed so I can head back to work tonight.

If you do wind up getting the Sherline, you could extend the capacity of it by adding a second high speed spindle to the side of the head itself rather than rails. You could make identical mounts for each side of the head. Swap out the spindle to the other side for the second op. That would leave the parts mounted to the table. That would gain you a few extra inches that you might need. Making those mounts could be one of the Sherliine's first jobs.

Now finding a US made high speed spindle might pose a problem. Not all FOREIGN tools are poorly made. Europe, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, Brazil all produce some good quality tools. Great in some cases. I'm reffering to power tools mainly. Some are US owned, but made elsewhere. Germany produces some of the best power tools made today. Japan used to, but not as much IMO.
    This one is designed in Germany, but likely produced in China or Taiwan. Proxxon 28483 High Speed Rotary Grinder Motor Collet 220volt CNC Spindle Drill | eBay
    Still a step above a Dremel IMO.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    If you do wind up getting the Sherline, you could extend the capacity of it by adding a second high speed spindle to the side of the head itself rather than rails. You could make identical mounts for each side of the head. Swap out the spindle to the other side for the second op. That would leave the parts mounted to the table. That would gain you a few extra inches that you might need. Making those mounts could be one of the Sherliine's first jobs.

Now finding a US made high speed spindle might pose a problem. Not all FOREIGN tools are poorly made. Europe, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, Brazil all produce some good quality tools. Great in some cases. I'm reffering to power tools mainly. Some are US owned, but made elsewhere. Germany produces some of the best power tools made today. Japan used to, but not as much IMO.
    This one is designed in Germany, but likely produced in China or Taiwan. Proxxon 28483 High Speed Rotary Grinder Motor Collet 220volt CNC Spindle Drill | eBay
    I like that idea with the second spindle on the Z axis. The one place I could possible see an issue coming into play is the extra torque in that direction when drilling. Though it could be a non issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post

I like that idea with the second spindle on the Z axis. The one place I could possible see an issue coming into play is the extra torque in that direction when drilling. Though it could be a non issue.

Page 1 of 2 12