585,927 active members*
3,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Need Help with Solids
Page 1 of 2 12

Need Help with Solids

First I will admit, I know next to nothing about BobCad in the grand picture. I have been a BobCad user for years but all I have ever done is some 2D problem solving and some tool path creation for simple steps. Just in the past month or so I have been trying to get in to the 3D side and have a few parts that I am trying to take advantage of high speed machining. Now that I have a little background info for you:

I have attached a drawing that has the part in question. This part is actually 2 halves of a 2 1/2 round stock cut in half and stuck end to end. I will machine the interior of this part using high speed machining on our Haas machines. I drew these parts using Cylinders and Cubes and Boolean edits. What I can't figure out is each end of this part, on the interior cutout, needs a tapered lead in. I drew some lines to show the approximate location. I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how I can edit my part to give me a tapered lead in.

Please forgive me if I haven't given enough info or if it doesn't make sense. After maybe 10+ years of BobCad using, I am just now trying to use the higher end features.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Need Help with Solids

your file is no good.Try .zip

I'm sorry I don't know how to make it a .zip file.

I tried saving it again and see if its better
    Attached Files Attached Files

Instead of using a boolean cube to construct the inner cut, you can draw a flat plan of it, complete with the lead-ins, then extrude it into a solid, filet it, and then do a boolean subtract. I generally make the flat drawing into a Planar Surface first, then extrude the Surface into a Solid. I'll make a quick video and post it here shortly.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Hey Luke,when I try opening it crashes BoB immediately,,,,,WTH ?

The second one opened in V24 with no problems for me. Not sure what's causing it to crash on you.

Here's a quick video showing the process I mentioned above. Sorry for the poor editing. I usually turn out something a little cleaner, and thought I'd set my start/end points, but apparently not.

Hope that addresses what dconder wanted to do.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Hey Luke,when I try opening it crashes BoB immediately,,,,,WTH ?
    James

Doesn`t open with V26, try V25

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by dconder View Post
    First I will admit, I know next to nothing about BobCad in the grand picture. I have been a BobCad user for years but all I have ever done is some 2D problem solving and some tool path creation for simple steps. Just in the past month or so I have been trying to get in to the 3D side and have a few parts that I am trying to take advantage of high speed machining. Now that I have a little background info for you:

I have attached a drawing that has the part in question. This part is actually 2 halves of a 2 1/2 round stock cut in half and stuck end to end. I will machine the interior of this part using high speed machining on our Haas machines. I drew these parts using Cylinders and Cubes and Boolean edits. What I can't figure out is each end of this part, on the interior cutout, needs a tapered lead in. I drew some lines to show the approximate location. I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how I can edit my part to give me a tapered lead in.

Please forgive me if I haven't given enough info or if it doesn't make sense. After maybe 10+ years of BobCad using, I am just now trying to use the higher end features.

Thanks
    Try the attached file, should work for you, done in V25 as V26 crashes when trying to open your file

I`ve left all the altered geometry in the file so you can root around and see what is done.
    Here is what this file looks like after cut in the Simulation
    Attachment 247868

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Opens with V23 and V25.
    Crashes on impact with V26.

lol, I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing when I opened the file. Just clicked it and Windows apparently had .dwg associated with V24, so that's what I ran with.

Oh, something I meant to mention to dconder. Usually, we save the .bbcd file, then zip it to upload to the forum, as it handles .zip files pretty well. To zip the file, just find it in your normal saved files folder, in Windows, Right-click it, and choose <Send To> [Compressed (zipped) Folder]. That'll give you the file, zipped and ready to upload. You can also add other files to the folder, when necessary.

The .bbcd file includes all your various geometries and settings, so it's very helpful for folks to figure out when something's not working as you want it to.

Luke

And for me:

dwg v26 - YouTube

Not important to op's question, but I was able to open both files he posted in both V25 and V26 (ad400x1200.cad.dwg‎ & sample.dwg‎)

Jest,in V26,I am on Build 1335.What build are you on ?It would be good to get this sorted for future possible problems.
    Exactly,click for click,how did you open ?
    I tried all ways I know how to.

I saved .dwg files from 23 and 25 on my computer,then opened up with 26 no problem

dconder what version are you using,no doubt a real old one as your join date is 2007 and you have not posted much.But Burr and Jest seem to be able to open it.Is it the Build number in V26 causing the woes ?

only the first update 1182. Subscription expired before 2nd update was installed.
    Simply click on V25/V26 icon. Click away Bob's ad. File, open, dwg, double click.
    In other words, nothing special at all.

My V25 opens sample dwg. fine, but V26 Build 1335 crashes for me also.:devious:
    Would this be considered a critical fix? free update without maintenance subscription?. This should be very good to know right before V27 is released.

RAF.

What a really a sucky question to ask!
    Would this be considered a critical fix?

I consider any failure to perform as advertised/sold, to be a critical fix. Bob determines what "critical" issues will be dealt with. I am guessing crashing, will be addressed.??
    However, we have learned that anything short of crashing the computer, Bob, will probably not consider "critical", and most likely will addressed only in future versions (unless you have a service subscription). I take offence to the tactic. Just because most of the customers don't use a feature, doesn't mean you can ignore the problem. Like when Excel had that floating point error. It was acknowledged that 99.99% of users would be unaffected. They did not limit the fix to those with a service contract (EVERY customer they had that was actually affected, had a service contract!). Knowing/Learning you supplied faulty goods, then addressing failures by usury, rubs me wrong!.

hamidmetals Guest

We are a registered miners here in Liberia, we are having some quantities of gold for sale, if interested Pls do not hesitate to contact me .
    Hamid Sheriff.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. Specifically to Trotline for his video. I am not sure I would have ever figured out what you made appear so simple. Thank you so much. The help is so very much appreciated.

dconder,what version and build did you do the .dwg file in ?

I still use V21, V24 and V26. This one was done in V24 build 376.

Page 1 of 2 12