584,858 active members*
4,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need help with motor removal (belt drive conversion)

Hi guys, Im in the middle of installing ArizonaVideo's belt drive kit.
    I've pulled off the quill knobs, quill springs and levers (never used them at all), I've drained the oil, removed the face plate and gear shift knobs.
    I unscrewed the 4 bolts holding the motor in place. It now twists in place, but I dont know how to remove it.

Which order should I remove components from the head before trying to pull off the motor?
    After unbolting I tried pulling straight up, but its obviously connected to its linkages. What's the trick to getting it to free up?

thanks in advance!

Re: need help with motor removal (belt drive conversion)

There's no linkage if your trying to remove only the motor. But the key in the keyway may be distorted. The motor shaft and key are both a bit soft and it could be locking the shaft to the gear. Just try to pry it up off the top plate of the motor. I've broken the keyway on my motor twice and had the same problem.

Bob

Re: need help with motor removal (belt drive conversion)

Thanks! I was able to pry it off, it took 3 screw drivers and a rubber mallet.
    Turns out the key was ever so slightly rusted in 1 small spot, I suspect that was sticking. I will scrub that clean and lube it up when I re-assemble.

I've run some 2.5 hour jobs before and boiled the oil over several times. This had pretty much trashed the paint on the top of the head, particularly where the spindle lock was.
    I've also got a big gaping hole and large paintless spot on the right side where the quill lever assembly was. I'd like to repaint that and the new face plate a matching blue.

Anyone know of a good matching spray paint for the IHCNC blue?

IH blue spray paint

In reply to my own question in case anyone else ever needs to know, this stuff (Rustoleum "Safety Blue 7524")

gets about as close to the original IH blue as I could find.

I found it at Ace Hardware.
    BTW, stripping the quill adjustment assembly along with the belt drive conversion reduced quite a bit of weight from the head. It is also nice to not have a bead of oil forming under the see-through window.