585,719 active members*
4,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with an Allen Bradley 8400MP

Hello, I just picked up my first CNC machine. It's a Supermax YCM40 with an Allen Bradley 8400MP. I paid $700.00 for it from a school so the price was right. It sat for a few years with no power and the AA batteries were dead.
    I have the manuals but they do not say anything that I can find about what the monitor is telling me. I have replaced the batteries and am aware that I will need to program in the parameters (which I believe that I have?) but the screen will not go to the main menu. It is telling me NMI Interrupt is Active: CRT Board it is also saying NMI Interrupt is Active: -15 supply low then it also says NL not Executed For Bad Hardware status.

I have read through the error codes and do not see any of these messages? Any help would be great. I will keep reading and searching this site to see if an answer has already been given?

Peace, Jim

Re: Need help with an Allen Bradley 8400MP

I forgot to mention that there is another power supply whip that was hanging from the control panel. It is connected to U2, V2,W2 and G.

I'm assuming that it needs 3ph also but maybe it's just a 220 with neutral hooked up? I have not been able to find this connection in the AB wiring schematic and don't want to cause any extra problems for myself. Was it used to power up something else?

Sorry for the dumb ass ? but my manual brain need's help.

Heres a picture of the terminal strip that the wires are connected to and I can't even find this strip in the schematic??

Attachment 231978

Its been a long time but the best I remember is the 3 phase is only for the spindle motor. I would guess there is somebody somewhere still alive that can help you with support. I used to get support from AB in Atlanta,Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
    Its been a long time but the best I remember is the 3 phase is only for the spindle motor. I would guess there is somebody somewhere still alive that can help you with support. I used to get support from AB in Atlanta,Ga.
    Thank you I will keep looking and check AB's web site.

Peace, Jim

We still have 8200's that run every day. I'd get the -15 volt alarm cleared first. Probably a dead power supply, I'm guessing the one to the right bottom of your finger. Think that's causing the interup alarms.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    We still have 8200's that run every day. I'd get the -15 volt alarm cleared first. Probably a dead power supply, I'm guessing the one to the right bottom of your finger. Think that's causing the interup alarms.

Thanks UTT, The U2,V2,W2 wires go to what I assume is a contactor? There is power coming in but none out?
    I was an HVAC service tech for 20yr so all of this isn't Greek to me but without a full schematic with layout, I'm loosed in this world.

Is there another manual that I'm missing? The manuals that I have are just for the Pendant and the mother board. There is nothing for all the relays, transformers and other parts in the main J box?

I looked on the AB website and they don't seem to have old manuals to download. On my older welders I can go to Miller or Lincoln and they have it all. Anybody know of another source for the manual that I need????

Thank You Jim

Most or all of those knee mills back then were retrofits. Companies bought a CNC ready iron from whomever and put there own control packages on, so documentation can be very hard to find.

Well that sucks! I have always repaired my manual machines as they are very easy IMO. I may have to give in and pay someone to come help me out? But I am very stubborn in this area as I have never found something that I couldn't repair.

Thank You UTT for enlightening me as to the ways of the CNC world. I will keep plugging away.

Peace, Jim

The 8400 was a fairly advanced control for its time. Unfortunately that was quite a while ago. I think it is trying to tell you that the -15V is out of spec. Underthetire is indicating that the gold colored perforated metal shield in your picture is probably the low voltage power supply. I think he is correct. It probably should put out 5V, +15V, -15V and perhaps 24V. Use your meter to check these and see if they are correct. If not, you will have to repair it or replace it. Hopefully you can find the specs. It is probably no longer available, but you should be able to substitute an equivalent pretty easily.

Jerry

Thank You Jerry, I will trace the gold wire tomorrow and see if I can figure out what it's purpose is?

It's killing me to get this fired up. Kind of like Christmas and having to wait while dad assembled the new toy. LOL

On the plus side I ran into an old buddy and his wife is good friends with the shop teacher that got Boeing to donate the mill to the school. I should be able to get ahold of him by Monday and maybe he can help out?

Thank you for helping!! Jim

OK so will this machine run on my phase converter? It was wired 440 which I know doesn't have a wild leg. I have changed one of the transformers to its 220 tap and thought that was all I needed to do?

Do I need to run it off of a VFD?

Thank You, Jim

There should be no need for a VFD for the main power. You may have to change more than one transformer depending on what it has in it. What manuals and drawings do you have? A wiring diagram is almost essential once you start changing voltages.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryv View Post
    There should be no need for a VFD for the main power. You may have to change more than one transformer depending on what it has in it. What manuals and drawings do you have? A wiring diagram is almost essential once you start changing voltages.

Jerry
    The wiring diagram that I have is only for the AB8400MP controller and I have the program manual but that's it. No schematic for all the relays and such. Very frustrating. I have been to many sites looking for some sort of diagram but no such luck so far.

I didn't think that I really needed the VFD but a buddy that's a Mcgiver of all things stopped by yesterday and he added question so I asked.

Thank you Jerry for helping!

Jim

I've got the same Allen Bradley 8400MP controller. I'm wanting to hook up a computer to it via the rs232 port to allow me to save and load gcode and offsets. I was able to locate a manual for the controller, but I'm still unsure how to proceed. The manual recommends I use xmodem on the computer to communicate with the controller. I've not had any luck with that. I have been able to get extraputty and tera term to somewhat communicate with the controller but I haven't been successful in uploading a file. What software should I be using?

Quote Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
    Hello, I just picked up my first CNC machine. It's a Supermax YCM40 with an Allen Bradley 8400MP. I paid $700.00 for it from a school so the price was right. It sat for a few years with no power and the AA batteries were dead.
    I have the manuals but they do not say anything that I can find about what the monitor is telling me. I have replaced the batteries and am aware that I will need to program in the parameters (which I believe that I have?) but the screen will not go to the main menu. It is telling me NMI Interrupt is Active: CRT Board it is also saying NMI Interrupt is Active: -15 supply low then it also says NL not Executed For Bad Hardware status.

I have read through the error codes and do not see any of these messages? Any help would be great. I will keep reading and searching this site to see if an answer has already been given?

Peace, Jim
    hola amigo podrias ayudarme con los manuales y el postprosesador estoy reparando una vieja allen Bradley 8400 mp agradeceria tu ayuda

another Allen Bradley 4800 Bandit IV Question

Hello I am new to the group, I am hoping someome might have an answer or a source that I can be referred to for help. I just purchased a SuperMax VMC 40, with an Allen Bradly 8400 Bandit IV controller it is a 3 phase unit , the controller will turn on I can enter a password, But the Mill or controller will not allow the machine to HOME. I know the servos work the turret motor works, I have the manauls but it has no trouble shooting information. can someone please shed a little light on this for me or ideas of what I can try to unlock the Homing.

Thank You in advance.
    John Es.
    [email protected]