584,814 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CNC (Mill / Lathe) Control Software (NC) > Need help with 0-80 Roll thread start position variation using Brother TC-R2B

Need help with 0-80 Roll thread start position variation using Brother TC-R2B

I am tapping using an 0-80 Roll thread tap in a Brother TC-R2B with synchronous rigid tapping. I am working on a very small medical component where I have a part with a C-Bore .060 dp +/- .0005, and a drilled thru hole for an 0-80 Roll Tap. Parts are fixtured one at a time. We did a repeatability test on the fixtures and parts and the C-Bore depths repeat within .0002
    My problem is the rotational start position of the thread in my work piece is varying more than expected. I need the start of my thread to be in the same rotational position relative to the bottom of the C-Bore within 10 deg for all parts. when I cut a precision section thru the finished part (thru the axis of the thread) and measure the major dia pitch location of each thread I find their locations from part to part vary from the C-Bore by up to .005. This indicates the thread rotational starting point is varying or the Z height of the tap is varying.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated

Tom Malinski

Your Message

Prefixno prefix) Australia BBQ Time GreenLand New Here North America Looking for Mentors Africa Off-Topic South America Looking for Apprentice Asia Opinon Europe
    Title:

Re: Need help with 0-80 Roll thread start position variation using Brother TC-R2B

The only way I've been able to resolve "timed" threads to specific locations is by using a thread mill instead of using a tap. If a roll formed thread is absolutely necessary the only thing I can think of that may work would be doing a spindle index/rotation operation before the tapping. The bad deal is that after you find the right pre-rotation number to start tapping at, when you change out your tap your going to have to redo rotation number again.

Re: Need help with 0-80 Roll thread start position variation using Brother TC-R2B

Have you tried to start Tapping from M19 instead M5 and security distance.

Quote Originally Posted by KRC-MFG View Post
    The only way I've been able to resolve "timed" threads to specific locations is by using a thread mill instead of using a tap. If a roll formed thread is absolutely necessary the only thing I can think of that may work would be doing a spindle index/rotation operation before the tapping. The bad deal is that after you find the right pre-rotation number to start tapping at, when you change out your tap your going to have to redo rotation number again.
    Thanks for your suggestion, someone else said it may simply be that accuracy codes are not enabled for this on the Brother machine. I've ran into this before when milling with the Brother where all accuracy codes are off by default.