585,744 active members*
4,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Need help diagnosing sudden g540 + ess problem

Need help diagnosing sudden g540 + ess problem

I have a ESS and gecko g540. Things were working ok and now I have no motor movement and I'm really frustrated. I had just finished making mounts for cooling fans for the stepper motors and wiring them to the 12v and ground from a computer power supply in my control box (the ESS has separate power supply) When I turned my main switch on the fans didn't move so I shut the main switch off. I had forgotten to plug the cord for the computer power supply that powers the fans and the ess. On the ESS diagnostics page in mach 3 the ports were showing activity when i jogged, but no movement. Does this mean is not the ess and the gecko thats messed up? how did i mess the gecko up? I have no clue how to diagnose the gecko and don't want to have to buy a new one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Need help diagnosing sudden g540 + ess problem

Ive never used an ESS but if possible you should try using the g540 without it so you can see if it's the gecko that's causing problems or the ESS. I'm no electronics expert but I think you can use a multimeter to test the output pins on the gecko to see if it's outputting. If it's not outputting that only confirms you have a problem and doesn't determine where the problem is. So ultimately you're gonna have to test the gecko apart from the ESS. Maybe find an old computer with a parallel port or buy a parallel port card that will work with the gecko. PMDX makes one that I myself recently purchased and it works perfectly.

I sent my gecko to geckodrive and they tested it and the invoice from them says its working correctly. When I get it back I will double check all settings and see if it's the ESS causing the problem. One things for sure, it's a pain to try and remember how to set things up when it was done only once a while ago.

Well at least you know your gecko works.. I def know what you mean. I bought mine and originally set it up back in 2009. I just recently dusted it off and started over.. it can get really frustrating some times..

I have built several ESS+G540 systems and so I have a lot of experience with them. The first thing I would check is the cable between the G 540 and the ESS port 1 . Several posters have had problems with them and that would be your starting point. Using an continuity checker with the cable disconnected check pins 1-18 from the 26PIn connector back to the 25Pin .
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    21th Year in CNC
    proud builder of Gecko stepper systems.

Quote Originally Posted by usmarine21m View Post
    I sent my gecko to geckodrive and they tested it and the invoice from them says its working correctly. When I get it back I will double check all settings and see if it's the ESS causing the problem. One things for sure, it's a pain to try and remember how to set things up when it was done only once a while ago.