585,712 active members*
4,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need advise: 1100 or 770

I have had my eye on a 1100 for a while, but now I'm starting to wonder if perhaps a 770 would work for me.

Based on the following (in random order ), which would you recommend?

1. Budget is a concern as I will be paying cash
    2. This will be a supplemental machine for me, not an outside-income-earner
    3. Parts will max out at 4"x6"x0.500" in size, table size is not an issue
    4. I will be cutting woods, composite materials, titanium & steel
    5. The deepest cut (z axis) I'll make will be 0.500" (in woods/composites)
    6. The deepest cut in titanium/steel will be 0.250"
    7. 90% of what I'll be cutting will be composite materials, true 3D surfacing/finishing.
    8. Because of ^ ^ ^ I am thinking the higher spindle speed would be helpful.
    9. ATC is a must
    10. I don't need a stand or enclosure (prefer to fab my own)
    11. I don't need a computer from Tormach - already have one
    12. Will be using FogBuster instead of coolant
    13. Since I don't need it for production purposes, time spent cutting is not a high priority
    14. Because of ^ ^ ^ I don't think I need the extra HP.
    15. I already have CAD/CAM
    16. Most cuts will be made using fixture plates
    17. I know bigger is better, but cheaper is sooner and more feasible
    18. Noise/mess is not an issue - machine will be in my detached workshop
    19. Size is an issue (small shop) but I could get either machine to fit. 770 would be easier, of course.
    20. I have 220v - so either machine is ok.
    21. The biggest tap I'll need will be 1/4-20, most tapping will be 2-56
    22. The biggest drill/reamer I'll need will be 0.251"
    23. I don't need a 4th axis

Given the above, is there anything about the 770 that might hinder what I need to do? If not, it seems like it would fit the bill and get me cutting. That said, it's just a $1600 difference. To get the real savings, I would need to find one used.

Thanks for any help sorting this out. I'm still a bit of a beginner to CNC, but thankfully not a complete newb. I've picked up enough to be dangerous and to see the long road ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by pendentive View Post
    I have had my eye on a 1100 for a while, but now I'm starting to wonder if perhaps a 770 would work for me.

Based on the following (in random order ), which would you recommend?

1. Budget is a concern as I will be paying cash
    2. This will be a supplemental machine for me, not an outside-income-earner
    3. Parts will max out at 4"x6"x0.500" in size, table size is not an issue
    4. I will be cutting woods, composite materials, titanium & steel
    5. The deepest cut (z axis) I'll make will be 0.500" (in woods/composites)
    6. The deepest cut in titanium/steel will be 0.250"
    7. 90% of what I'll be cutting will be composite materials, true 3D surfacing/finishing.
    8. Because of ^ ^ ^ I am thinking the higher spindle speed would be helpful.
    9. ATC is a must
    10. I don't need a stand or enclosure (prefer to fab my own)
    11. I don't need a computer from Tormach - already have one
    12. Will be using FogBuster instead of coolant
    13. Since I don't need it for production purposes, time spent cutting is not a high priority
    14. Because of ^ ^ ^ I don't think I need the extra HP.
    15. I already have CAD/CAM
    16. Most cuts will be made using fixture plates
    17. I know bigger is better, but cheaper is sooner and more feasible
    18. Noise/mess is not an issue - machine will be in my detached workshop
    19. Size is an issue (small shop) but I could get either machine to fit. 770 would be easier, of course.
    20. I have 220v - so either machine is ok.
    21. The biggest tap I'll need will be 1/4-20, most tapping will be 2-56
    22. The biggest drill/reamer I'll need will be 0.251"
    23. I don't need a 4th axis

Given the above, is there anything about the 770 that might hinder what I need to do? If not, it seems like it would fit the bill and get me cutting. That said, it's just a $1600 difference. To get the real savings, I would need to find one used.

Thanks for any help sorting this out. I'm still a bit of a beginner to CNC, but thankfully not a complete newb. I've picked up enough to be dangerous and to see the long road ahead of me.
    If your plan is never to grow, expand your parts, or change what you are doing go with the $1600 savings. The only logic (to me) to got 770 over 1100 is for small tooling. That's it. If you're going to be running one part at a time and need 15,000 rpm then go 770. What if you decide in two years (a lot can happen in two years) to DO production? The speeder will run 15,000 rpm all day long 7 days a week on an 1100, but ONLY if your are running only one tool at that speed. Tool changes are a PITA PLUS now it's a $3,000 price difference.

Just some Thoughts.

Re: Need advise: 1100 or 770

I went with the 1100, and I have a few parts now that take advantage of the whole X axis. i had envisioned small parts, which I make, but over time they tend to get bigger..........Its all in what you want to do and what you have to spend...
    mike sr

My requirements were similar to yours so I got a 770 about two years ago. No real regrets although making more small parts in a single setup would sometimes be good and a larger table would make some setups easier. To save money I didn't get an ATC or even the PDB but did buy the 4th axis since it was a requirement for some parts. In addition to being slightly smaller and cheaper, the 770 has a 10000 rpm spindle (not 15000 as an earlier poster implied) and faster maximum feeds. If you have any concerns see if Tormach can provide a local reference site that you can visit. It helped me in my decision. If your needs change you can probably sell the 770 and upgrade to something larger. Tormach may even have a model 2200 or whatever by then. Besides having a machine today that isn't perfect is more productive than nothing!

I have both models here and after reading your list I don't think that you would be hurting yourself by going the 770 route. I am impressed by it on a daily basis. I love the additional rigidity and work envelope that the 1100 provides, but my 770 cruises through a wide range of materials and saves me a lot of time when I'm performing any intricate detail work with small ball end mills. I think the lack of used inventory that's available in the marketplace for either of these machines speaks volumes. Once you own one you won't know how you ever lived without one :-).

I'm not a machinist nor aspire to be one. :-D
    I am a Knifemaker and will only ever be making knife handles/parts...and only for me.
    Like I said, production is not a priority.

Great advise so far.

I'm not in a rush...so waiting for a used 770 won't bother me.

I had been using a tabletop CNC router...which was fun...but can't do steel. So looking to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk