584,879 active members*
5,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > My $110 4th Axis Lifting solution

My $110 4th Axis Lifting solution

My back started communicating to me about looking into a hoist to move my 170# 4th axis so this is what I did over the weekend.
    Parts I used are;
    - (1) 440# Hoist from Harbor Freight ($80 with coupon).
    - (2) Unistrut #437 rated casters from McMaster Carr (#3626T12 for $10 each)
    - I canabalized my Tormach lifting bar kit for parts.
    - Free old inner tube from bike shop around the block.
    - Strut pieces (which I had).
    - Misc. Lags from Home Depot ($8).
    - (2) 1/2" bolts & washers/nuts which I had.

Wow, is this nice to quickly switch back and forth. I not have my vises organized so I can load them up or store them quickly. I will let you know if the winch fails.

Best,
    Nathan

Re: My $110 4th Axis Lifting solution

Pretty Cool!

I've always wanted one of those hoists, now maybe I have an excuse!

Very impressive that you speak "back"! I tend to ignore mine until it blows up and screams then regret not listening sooner!

How easy is it to get the trolley to start moving with weight on it? I've considered doing something similar but I have 14' ceilings above both Mills. I keep feeling like to get it moving I'd have to yank pretty hard to do anything other than deflect the cable. Wonder how much for a motorized trolley.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Hi Brian,
    It is pretty easy to move. The weight actually helps a bit.
    The key I think is to use the single set of wheel casters like I used so you have less drag/friction.
    Also, it helps to keep the trolley centered. If you use acetyl inside the track it will run even smoother.
    Attached is a picture of my setup packing washers to center the trolley.
    My ceiling is almost 10' so I would suspend the strut and cross-brace it so you can get closer to 10' if you use this cheap hoist from HF. Then you could reach the remote easier.

It not only help the old back but as I mentioned it really helps speed up my flow and organization.

Best,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Very impressive that you speak "back"! I tend to ignore mine until it blows up and screams then regret not listening sooner!

How easy is it to get the trolley to start moving with weight on it? I've considered doing something similar but I have 14' ceilings above both Mills. I keep feeling like to get it moving I'd have to yank pretty hard to do anything other than deflect the cable. Wonder how much for a motorized trolley.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Looks just like my trolly setup. same hf winch even!
    Nice!. Figured my simple light weight design would get others to setup same!
    I used 2 pair of 440 lb trolleys rolls smooth Just noisy .
    I have been adding track in different locations on my ceiling to use for lifting anything 400 lbs or less. "AWSOME " one of more useful shop upgrades. back truck in and trolley over and lift out 250lb sheet goods with a c clamp, and no help.
    Just need to keep in mind its for moving vise, pallets, 4th axis tools around and bulky light material .
    Not pulling motors out of cars
    md

Hi lane
    I actually had all the parts when you made your excellent post so it motivated me (my back) to do it.
    Thanks for your original post.
    Nathan

Our work areas look similar
    As I mentioned before in other posts. To be motivated to do clean precise work. I like a clean organized shop. Im still in the process of outfitting and adding more machine outlets, compressed air, central vacuum for cleaning, vacuum air system for degassing and vacuum table fixtures. Task lighting, lightweight overhead trolley crane with KEYLESS remote...... I see this will be going on for a while. I spent a bunch of time and effort on plastic bin storage systems of different sizes. Organize all the materials and parts. Ray posted a note about label machine to tag everything and I had to add that to my list of shop upgrades so I can find material even faster. Also some of this is for safety, having air, vac, power, hoses on floors are trip hazard and lifting much weight is a no no for me.
    md

I added a wireless remote to shop vac system and was thinking when I typed this it looked like a keychain!

Keyless remote? lol

I use a Dymo 4XL for shipping and a Dymo 450 Twin Turbo for labels,

I find that that hoist moves the load up/down far too quickly for precise positioning even when using it with two lengths of cable. Have you found a way to slow it?

No I am able to just tap the button to get small movements.
    The only thing that happened is that the closer plate on the cheap hook twisted off so I replaced it with a Wilton I had.
    So far it has been a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I find that that hoist moves the load up/down far too quickly for precise positioning even when using it with two lengths of cable. Have you found a way to slow it?

I used a support intended for use with barn door tracks. See Product Details This has Delrin wheels which move very smoothly in the track (Product Details ).

That looks great except for the $132 in shipping. Will the unistrut trollies work with that track?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I used a support intended for use with barn door tracks. See Product Details This has Delrin wheels which move very smoothly in the track (Product Details ).

I did use similar for Lifting my Mill for new Splash Guard but this cheap Bit i used didnt deliver The power it was written on so be prepared for that ,.. The upgraded it to a Bigger One ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I doubt it since the track is essentially a tube with a slot at the bottom. The track comes in a normal and a heavy duty grade for a few dollars more. I don't know where you live but it is made by Stanley and is quite common in Canada. For example, my local Home Hardware doesn't stock it but ordered my length without additional cost. Take a look at Track, Hangers & Sliding Doors | Stanley Hardware . I used their Trackmaster round rail product. They have a "Where to buy it" option linked to that page and it appears that Lowe's sells it.