585,883 active members*
4,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mill to stand - bolt tight or isolate?

Mill to stand - bolt tight or isolate?

I have an RF-45 type machine on the way (BF46 Optimum), and am in process of designing a heavy stand for it. Is it preferable to attach the mill solidly to the stand, steel on iron, or should there be some sort of isolation pads between the two? I was thinking that a solid connection would help to add some more effective mass to the mill, and if that were the case, then I'd probably fill the stand (box section steel) with sand or concrete to add more mass yet. The stand would then have isolation pads between it and the floor, as well as leveling feet.

Thanks,
    -Steve

Re: Mill to stand - bolt tight or isolate?

Steve,
    There has been a number of threads where guys have mentioned their machine will shake, rattle, & roll at higher rapids so they have to run slower. I followed the 'more mass is better' theory and I'm glad I did.
    My ZX45 is capable of rapids up to 350ipm and even at that speed with two 6" vises on the table there is no discernible shaking or movement from the stand. The machine is sitting on 3" of Corian (Solid Surface Mat'l) that is glued into a solid block. Threaded rods pass through the Corian 'riser' and bolt the machine solidly to the almost 300lb stand. (3X3X.25 box tube completely filled with sand)
    Casters with built in leveling pads make it moveable around the shop when necessary, yet isolate the machine from the concrete when leveled so it's quiet & solid as a rock!
    'Bolton ZX45 Conversion' is my thread on the Zone if you want to look

gd.marsh

Isolation is a tricky subject. Isolating the machine from the stand will reduce noise and vibration in the stand but could INCREASE vibration in the machine (and at some frequencies could reduce it in the machine a little). Rigid mounting it will mean there's more mass to be moved and so at most frequencies it'll be better, but potentially noisier. Imagine if you bolted your car engine to the body rigidly - you'd get more noise in the shell and potentially stress the shell more, but you wouldn't affect the engine noise. Rubber mount it and you keep the cabin quiet but the engine still does it's thing outside.

I'll be rigid mounting mine, I don't need quietness.

I think GD.Marsh's suggestion might be the best way to go. That sand fill inside the stand should help dampen some of those excessive sound frequencies being transmitted through the stand, the feet he suggested are a bit pricey but also help buffer vibrations that would otherwise transmit into the concrete. If I had the room and the material I would definitely do the same.

I've been working my way through gd.marsh's build thread, and finally got to the post with the stand (post #208). I think I may just have to shamelessly copy Gary's stand design.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, where did the feet come from, and do you have a part number?

Thanks,
    -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Windscreen View Post
    I've been working my way through gd.marsh's build thread, and finally got to the post with the stand (post #208). I think I may just have to shamelessly copy Gary's stand design.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, where did the feet come from, and do you have a part number?

Thanks,
    -Steve
    looks like this one

I would love to find these heavy duty leveling casters if they were a bit more affordable. would make moving the machine around much easier.

Steve,

The first leveling feet I show in post #208 were purchased off ebay .. but the leveling casters I'm now using as shown below & in post #518 came from Accesscasters.com

A little pricy, but worth every penny in my estimation.