585,973 active members*
4,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post MILL AT AN ANGLE

Attachment 247562I have CNC milling machine. I need to make a part that has angle of 21° 30". Is there any tool(taper end mill or insert with specific angle) available so that I do not have to do multiple set ups.

or what is the best way to finish the part. Material is 4140 pre hard.

I have attached the picture of the part that needs to be machined.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

Re: MILL AT AN ANGLE

What software are you using to do this? Also, do you mean it is 21.30° or 21°0'30" because the two are very different.
    "The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd..."
    -Albert E.

I would do it with a ballnose if at all possible, using a rough cutter to rough out the block originally and switching to the ballnose to run down the contour of the part. If you cannot use this method because the part cannot have a radius at the start and finish of the angle then I would place this in an angle vice, or use a digital angle level and set the angle to machine on then just use a flat endmill to machine it out. Depends on several things, what parameters really need to be held and where do you have room to play? If you can I would just machine it on its side and shoot holes through it and mount it to a temporary fixture.
    -Albert E.

Thank you for your response. I am using solidworks software to design and then import it to the mastercam or esprit.

Angle is 21 degree 30 minute

If I move the part to the table or lets say to the second vice then it breaks the alignment with back flat edge. I want the to be done in single set up and the fly cut the stock material.

Do you know if any taper end mills available or any insert i can use?

They do make "Hog" Nose endmills that have tapered ends but this is a much larger scale than the radius of a normal hog nose. If you wanted a tool to cut this in a single setup it would have to be extremely custom and if it's possible that's above my head. I would have two operations myself. One to place 2 holes into the part (if that is at all possible) to bolt to a temporary fixture just a chunk of aluminum that isn't being used or something; and the second operation (using the same origin) I would more or less contour mill the part out of the stock. Rough mill if need be depending on size of the stock and thickness of the material. Either way I would cut it all from the view you have shown in your photo. I believe that would allow for a much better finish and faster machine time also.
    -Albert E.

A 3D image would of been better. First what is the thickness(depth) of your material? Plate steel? Or solid block?
    If its a solid block, you mill from the top, down, rough in steps with a carbide insert end mill and finish with a ball nose at .005 step over or less.
    I've made many molds successfully, with a ball nose and small step over. It takes time but the finish is usually good enough to only require light sanding and polishing.

You can order a custom cutter, but that's usually very expensive.

Something like this maybe?

BenAttachment 247470Attachment 247472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409180944249.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	247474

I was thinking more along the lines of a multi index-able end mill but yes that would work for roughing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	endmill.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	247478
    Not knowing any details about the size of the machine or workpiece, limits any good suggestions.

What do you call this tool and where can i find this?

Material to be cut .150(t) X .375 (D). This part needs high precision as it is going to seat into the citizen turning machine which has the same angle built in for the tool holders.

G59--- machining size .150 X .375. And I think this tool can mill only straight face.

Put it in a vise and tap and dial until it dials in at the correct angle .
    If your doing more than 1 ,then make a simple sine bar and clamp the part in the vise
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I agree with dertsap . Save yourself a bunch of cash and put it in a vise. Yes, we know it can take a while to dial everything in, but machining it would be quick.

Get a custom end mill made or buy an adjustable chamfer mill like bhurts shows. Milldex Adjustable Angle Turning and Chamfering Tool APT Indexable Tools Toolholders Machine Tool and Supply
    don't waste your time profiling it with a ball unless you don't care about your time.