585,970 active members*
4,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Metric linear guides with SAE rods

Metric linear guides with SAE rods

I have 5/8in (0.625in = 15.875mm) precision rod. Unfortunately, SAE guides are expensive and difficult to come by in 5/8 size. Can I use 16mm guides instead? I am not looking for an ultimate precision 0.1mm is OK (woodworking). Noise and super smooth motion is not a major concern as well as long as steppers will push it along and will not jam. I am just wondering if this is going to fail mechanically because of slightly larger space between the guide and the rail or if there are any other considerations. Thank you.

Here is an example of guides I was looking at:
    Pack of 4 LME16UU Linear Motion 16 mm Ball Bushings, Closed Type, Metric: Linear Ball Bearings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    Linear Motion 16 mm Slide Unit, Open Type, Metric: Linear Ball Bearings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    4PCS SBR16UU 16mm Linear Ball Motion Bearing Block - Multitools - Amazon.com

Can I contact with you and learn about more details about the liner bearings? skype: lixingwen1987

Re: Metric linear guides with SAE rods

That is what I did. Get the open style of bearings. There is a set screw that you can take up the small difference in sizes.
    The closed bearings don't have the set screw. I purchased mine from a vendor on Aliexpess.
    4pcs SBR16UU SBR16UU 16mm Aluminum Linear Router Motion Bearing Solide Block for 16mm CNC Linear Rails L0114-in Linear Guides from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com

Malodave

Re: Metric linear guides with SAE rods

Thanks. Just placed the order and should arrive in a month