585,722 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam - Default ‘Minimum Qty” in Nesting Toolpath

Mastercam - Default ‘Minimum Qty” in Nesting Toolpath

In Mastercam software, where do you set the default value for ‘Minimum Qty” in Nesting Toolpath?

When ‘Nesting’ toolpath is selected, the default quantity under the ‘Parts’ tab is set to 20. But we cut out a lot of parts, each with quantity of 1. Therefore, we have to go through the whole list of parts and change the quantity from 20 to 1. I would like to set the default minimum quantity to just 1, but cannot find where to do this.

I checked all the potential ‘Operation Defaults’ in the Control Definition file, and while I saw all the other toolpath operations, I did not find ‘Nesting’.

I also checked the ‘Config’ button on the Nesting popup window when Nesting toolpath operation is selected. Could not find where to change the number from 20 to 1.

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Mike

Re: Mastercam - Default ‘Minimum Qty” in Nesting Toolpath

Here is where I want to change the default value.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Default Min Qty.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	233136

Does anybody know the answer to this question? I really need your help if you know the answer.

Thanks,
    Mike

SOLVED

I finally stumbled into the solution for setting the default “Minimum Qty” value on the “Parts” tab for the “Nesting” toolpath operation. Got a hint from Colin G. - Eapprentice.net on web page Warning- Nesting Issue - Industrial Forum - eMastercam.com, posting #12. Colin said that you can right-click on the different pages in the dialog box (right click in the grey area), and choose the "save defaults" option.

So, I selected a “Nesting” toolpath, under the Sheets tab, right-clicked and selected “Add rectangular” just to add a piece of stock so that the software would allow me to pick any part under the Parts tab. Then selected a part under the Parts tab (any part will due since this is just a temporarily selection to allow you to set the default value). I then changed the “Minimum Qty” from 20 to just 1. Afterwards, I right-clicked on the open space (Colin called it the grey area, but in my case it is white – it is just not inside any boxes on the popup dialog window) and selected “Save defaults”. Then I cancelled that toolpath operation, closed Mastercam (probably did not need to close, but I did anyway), reopened Mastercam, create a real Nesting toolpath that I wanted to use, and PRESSTO, the default value for the “Minimum Qty” was set to 1.

I guess somehow in the past I had set the default value to 20, and did not remember how and what I did to cause that. In any case, thanks to Colin G. of Eapprentice.net for a posting in May 2008 that helped me today (April 2014) nearly 6 years later.

Mike

you were trying to use the nesting without defining stock so it was not giving you the option to define how many part to nest with in the area. Always remember if you do not find it here to look real quick over at the Emastercam forum. I do not come in here as much as I used to due to being really busy with my company.Glad you found the answer. now are you trying to true shape nest or just trying to make a few of the same parts were you can use Tool path transform and have the option to also have different offsets or just program one part and copy the program in a array for example?

I was wondering should I go by Jay of Eapprentice.net?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks for replying camcad. I had not thought of just using Tool path transform and creating an array of parts. But in my application, I was making 78 different letters with different fonts to create wooden 8" high letters out of Baltic Birch stock of 60" by 30" (half of a 60" x 60" standard Baltic Birch plywood panel) for my Grandkids. I have found that using toolpath nesting really saves on material and packs the pieces (letters) in very tight, thus saving lots of material.

By the way, I also bookmarked "Eapprentice.net" in my web browser, right along with my previously bookmarked "cnczone.com". Thanks for your comment. It got me thinking about using Tool path transform and creating an array of parts for other applications.

Mike

Mike I agree that the true shape nesting is perfect for what you are doing. sounds like a nice thing you are doing.
    I was joking about the the Eapprentice comment but you can go to the site and see my picture I am Jay Kramer on there by the way.

Have a great day and fun making the letters for sure.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .