584,854 active members*
4,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Masking (bobart V25)

Masking (bobart V25)

What or and how do you use for masking. Not having good luck with what I have tried. Is there a homemade liquid or commercial one. Is there a paper masking material . I have tried a couple of shelf papers. They tear up on fine cuts and are rather thick.

Thank You again
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Re: Masking (bobart V25)

What are you masking and what are you masking it from?

The best results I've had on wood were from applying polyurethane (at least 2 coats) to the stock, then cutting (usually Vcarving), and applying oil-based gel stain to the cut part. The gel has less tendency to bleed into the wood grain than liquid stain. After a few minutes, I wipe over it with a folded paper towel that has a little mineral spirits on it. Doesn't take much, you don't want it really soaked. That cuts the stain off of the poly, without doing much to the inside of the cut. Once the stain has fully dried, you can go over everything with more polyurethane, to seal it. I picked up the technique from Carveone, in one of his mammoth threads.

Variations on this technique for paint, etc, can work to greater or lesser extents. I've read of some folks using contact paper, (shelf lining, from the housewares section of your local Big Store), as a physical mask with some success, but I haven't tried it myself. It's a tricky subject, as you've found, especially for small, delicate areas with a lot of cutting next to them.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I have tried shelf paper and it does not work to well on small parts. So the poly can be the overall color and then you can color the cut.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Yep. Here's an example of it on a box I had handy. Mostly I do simpler stuff, but I wanted to see how complex a scene I could Vcarve, so I built up the reeds and cattails from several images. You really don't want to know how long it took me to get clean geometry for this, or how crazy big the file is.

Luke

Trotline is this a V-carve or an engraving.

Don

It's a Vcarve. Engraving just follows the geometry at a specified depth. It can't do changes in width of cut, as Vcarve does.

Luke