585,954 active members*
4,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Machine in sim

Machine in sim

How do you get the 4 and 5 axis and the spindle to show up in the simulator like in this video after they are modeled in rhino?

I understand how I could get a fixture into it but not a actively turning 4th and 5th

madCAM jewelery ring tutorial - YouTube

Do you have a model of your machine? There are a number of steps required to set it up, but you need to start there. Once you have your machine model, you save the various components as stl files. From there, you can set it up through the options, or create a .dll file.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Dan. No model yet as we are still building the mill. It is nice to know that I will be able to do it when the time comes.

Yeah, it's not real straightforward, but once explained it won't seem so difficult. As for the .dll method, I've suggested to Joakim that he provide a tutorial on how to do that. It looks like it might be a bit advanced for most people.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Machine in sim

Does anyone know of any tutorials or online references I can read on how to model the mill table workspace and fixtures in Rhino / Keep Out Zones for MadCam? I've tried some searching but must not be using the right keywords to get it. Thanks!

Just to be clear, you want tutorials on how to model in Rhino to build the components for your madCAM machine model, correct? Your "Keep Out Zones for MadCam" statement muddies this a bit. Not sure what you mean by that.

It's probably me being dense, but could you reword the question of clarify just a bit?

Thanks,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Just to be clear, you want tutorials on how to model in Rhino to build the components for your madCAM machine model, correct? Your "Keep Out Zones for MadCam" statement muddies this a bit. Not sure what you mean by that.
    You're not being dense. I'm probably phrasing the question in an unclear way.

I am starting to learn how to model things in Rhino. I'm looking for references or tutorials on specifically how to model fixtures (vises, fixture plates or other things that you don't want to mill into, but can be used for frame of reference) that would be on the mill table. Specifically I'd like to model the mill environment so that when I model a part I can put it in the vise or on a fixture plate. A guide on how to create models is fine...I'm using lots of those already, but if there was any information on things that I need to specifically do / watch out for when modeling the work area itself with fixtures (and maybe tips for how to make sure I don't mill a slot into my vise.)

To save a bit of time, see if you can get a CAD file for your fixturing from the vendor. I know I have all our vises and pallets in Rhino, and they were all downloaded (Lang, Kurt, Schunk etc.)

Also, look at GrabCad if you can't find something.

For your own custom fixturing, you will need to take care of that, which you already know.

Dan

For your own custom fixturing, you will need to take care of that, which you already know.
    ...and that is part of what I was hoping to read more about. I can take the measurements and draw the model (to some degree). I imagine that creating a modeled environment of fixtures might have more to it than that. I know about the lock button, so I can place something and lock it down to keep it from moving, but suspect there are other functions I should learn about and use for laying out the fixtures.

I'm not sure how I can help you with that other than suggest you keep practicing with Rhino. There are tutorial available on the Rhino website:

Download - Rhino 5 Level 1 Training Guide and Models

Download - Rhino 5 Level 2 Training Guide and Models

as well as videos:

Learning to use Rhino - Tutorials Collection

Dan

I'm not sure how I can help you with that other than suggest you keep practicing with Rhino. There are tutorial available on the Rhino website:

Download - Rhino 5 Level 1 Training Guide and Models

Download - Rhino 5 Level 2 Training Guide and Models

as well as videos:

Learning to use Rhino - Tutorials Collection

Dan
    Thanks. I'll give them a try. I was looking for something specific to modeling the fixtures themselves, but any help at this point is good too. I thought if I went ahead and modeled the entire work space that would give me some good practice too, but figured there would be some "gotchas" when trying to model the stationary unmilled components versus modeling the parts to be milled.