584,837 active members*
5,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > M19 Cs Axis control on Fanuc 0T-B

M19 Cs Axis control on Fanuc 0T-B

Folks,

I'm working on a turning center with a 0T-B control and I'm trying to understand the requirements for M19 spindle orientation and Cs axis control. This is an older Emco 320 that lost its parameters. I've tried to get the original parameter table Emco, but their techs haven't returned any of my messages asking about assistance decommissioning this machine.

What I'm left with is a parameter set that was for another 320, but someone was kind enough to share. This one works for all of the basic stuff, but one thing remains a puzzle, spindle orientation. This machine's documentation set, schematics, and actual hardware build indicate that it is capable of C axis positioning after issuing M19. I've been working on trying to get this to work for a few weeks, but I'm at a bit of an impasse. I have a copy of the PMC ladder and have been looking through it. The parameter set from the other machine that I used as a baseline left out the Cs axis control feature. With these parameters, activation of the M19 command would result in an aux function timeout alarm. When I dug into the diagnostic bits, the problem appeared to be that the orientation logic in the PMC requires that the CNC issue a spindle unclamp along with a handful of other things in order for the M19 to activate a relay that ties to the ORCM2 input on the spindle drive. Upon enabling the Cs Axis Control feature, the CNC now sends the unclamp, M19 completes, closes the relay and the ORCM2 contact is made. Unfortunately, adding the feature results in a 1018 spindle parameter incorrect error unless I unhook the TLM6 signal coming back from the drive into the PMC.

Can anyone help me understand how the spindle drive uses the ORCM2 and what parameters may be needed in the spindle drive as well as the CNC for an M19 to work? It looks like getting the original parameter table back isn't going to happen, so I'm working from scratch. As of right now, I got no motion at all out of the spindle whenever an M19 is called. I'd like to know what other parameters need to be in place to support spindle orientation on these older controls? I would have expected the ORCM2 to cause the spindle drive to orient and then return TLM6 to let the PMC know that its done. That appears to be a major oversimplification of what's supposed to happen.

Thanks!
    -Dave

Re: M19 Cs Axis control on Fanuc 0T-B

possibly another option parameter is missing? (Cs axis control is an option too)

Entirely possible. When I started, the full parameter table dump from the other machine didn't have the Cs axis control 9xx option parameter enabled. Once I enabled it, the CNC started issuing the spindle unclamp (SUCLP - F164.1) signal to the PMC, and the C axis appeared on the position screen. This completed the rung on the ladders and the output that closes the ORCM2 relay went active, so I figured I was on the right track.

By no means am I convinced that there aren't other parameters that could be missing. I was hoping someone on here might be able to shed some light on the process. I only have the maintenance manual for the 0T-B, so if someone else has electronic version of the rest of the manuals (function h/w, function s/w, parameters, operator manual, etc... It would be a huge help as well.

you would need the secret hardware option info (adding this requires this and this and that etc). cant be done here publicly due to admin rule.
    so does your machine have the spindle orientation option? i.e. if you give it a M19 does the spindle orient?
    if not, send me a PM and I'll fill in some of those secret blanks for you ;-)

Here is some relevant info pertaining to the issue. I've attached the pertinent pages from the wiring diagrams as well as screenshots of the ladder where the orientation command is issued to the spindle drive and th3e TLM6 signal is input.

One thing that is puzzling is that TLM6 comes back into the PMC on X4.6. The ladder only shows this input on three rungs of the ladder. One is on the line that outputs the ORCM2 command, so this signal needs to be active for the ORCM2 output rung to complete. The other reference is a timer input where ORCM2 and TMR6 in opposite states activates a fixed, latching timer. The output internal relay from that times isn't used anywhere else in the ladder, only as a latch. On that one, I'm not sure I follow what it accomplishes. X4.6 doesn't' appear to be a special input, according to the maintenance manual for the 0-TB. If I connect it, the CNC immediately alarms out. The CNC obviously sees something as a result of that input being activated, I just don't know what.

I thought maybe there was something watching the bytes associated with the fixed timer D register, but D430 isn't referenced anywhere else in the ladder either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET320-LADDER-ORCM2_OUTPUT.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	266288sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ET320-LADDER-ORCM2_TLM6_INPUT.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	266290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET320-SPINDLE-1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	266300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET320-SPINDLE-2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	266302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET320-SPINDLE-3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	266304

Fanuc 0T PDF - manuals

Hi Dave,

I attached 3 FANUC-0T PDF's and I have also the Parameter PDF-manual to, but it's 18Mb.
    If you need that manual please send me your e-mail adress by personal message, I can't upload it from here.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Attachments:
    Series 0 Operator Manual (Lathe), GFZ-61394E/08
    Series 0 Maintenance Manual, GFZ-61395E/07
    Series 0 Hardware Connection Manual, GFZ-61393E/06
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fanuc-0T_Maint-Man-GFZ-61395-EN.pdf   Fanuc-0T_Oper-Man-GFZ-61394-EN.pdf   Fanuc-Model_O-Hardw_Con_Man-GFZ-61393-E.pdf  

Thanks for these. The trick is knowing what info from these manuals differs from the 0-TB. All of these manuals start at the Model C and I know that most of the information covers both, but there are differences. One notable difference is in the option parameters, as the 0-TB control in this machine stops at 919. I've gotten some feedback that an option parameter I need is actually in the 92X range, but I can't enter it. I'll PM you.

Thanks,
    Dave

since your spindle is analog you probably have an option board for orientation? there are special parameters just for that board. of course all of that is unknown. could be more missing PMC parameters too. as I said before you'll probably have to contact Fanuc to get it fixed.

Reading through the S series AC Spindle Servo Amplifier manual, I came across the following:

Following Functions as Are Required:
    Model 1S-3S (This is me):

Orientation ARII, BRII (A06B-6059-J110, J111)
    Setting and adjustment of PCB (A20B-0008-0242) used for models 1S-3S, and 6S-22S

My machine has the installed orientation PCB that is listed, its the option parameters that correspond to ARII and/or BRII that I assume are missing because they wouldn't have been present in the parameter backup from a machine that didn't have this option installed.

I'll keep looking. The job I had in mind that would use this is already programmed on another machine, so I have plenty of time.