585,753 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Looking for more information about these motors

Looking for more information about these motors

I've had 4 of these stepper motors for some time and decided to clean up a little. Before determining whether I keep them or sell them, I wanted more information about them, mainly torque. I'm not sure what application they would be best suited for, while I was thinking of building an engraver or 3D printer.

They are Vexta Stepper Motors with a gearbox, 2 Phase, 0.1deg / Step, DC 5.7V, 1A - Model #C7463-9212KGM. Physical dimensions - ~2-11/32 square and about 3-3/8" long, ~5/16" shaft.

I contacted Vexta and was informed that these were proprietary motors and they weren't allowed to give me anymore specific information. Would anyone have any other information regarding them? They have some similar models on their site (orientalmotor) and they start around $133-$300+ but have a higher deg/step. Is it better to have a lower deg/step in terms of resolution? Not sure how resolution is determined. Also, any idea how I can determine the gearbox ratio?

Thanks,
    Jason

Re: Looking for more information about these motors

I'm not sure what application they would be best suited for, while I was thinking of building an engraver or 3D printer.
    Geared motors would usually be a bad choice for a printer or engraver, as the gearbox will typically have some backlash in it.

Since most steppers are .9° or 1.8° per step, then I'd guess it's either a 9:1 or 18:1 gear ratio.

They're probably not worth much if you try to sell them, but I'd sell them anyway and just buy the right motors for your application. Steppers are pretty cheap these days.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Geared motors would usually be a bad choice for a printer or engraver, as the gearbox will typically have some backlash in it.
    To be honest, I never thought about the possibility of backlash and probably would have proceeded with making another machine. Thank you for that thought, with that, I will just sell them.

..Also often the case with the Vexta steppers, any thoughts of removing the G.B. and using them direct is foiled by the spiral gear shaft machined as part of the stepper rotor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.