585,997 active members*
5,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Looking for info on setting up a spindle speed sensor -Tormach PCNC1100 Mill as Lathe

Question Looking for info on setting up a spindle speed sensor -Tormach PCNC1100 Mill as Lathe

While I was looking for information on how to setup an optical sensor for spindle speed sense, I came across the "31228 - Duality Lathe Spindle Speed Sensor Module" sold by Tormach. I tried asking them if this sensor could be plugged into the PCNC1100 for spindle speed sense and received a non-answer back.

To my uneducated eye, on the surface it seems like this might be a quick plug in way to add a spindle speed sensor module. (I wouldn't mind building my own QRD1114 based sensor unit, but I haven't found info on how to setup the DIN connection to the mill itself from the sensor, yet.)

Has anyone else seen this? Seen why it could or couldn't work? I'm thinking if the sensor itself is able to provide the signal, then it might just take some marks (I read about silver sharpie working) on the spindle and maybe a mounting bracket (zip ties? lol maybe something a little better than that.)

Thanks for any discussion on methods of adding spindle velocity sensing to the mill spindle.

Re: Looking for info on setting up a spindle speed sensor -Tormach PCNC1100 Mill as L

I'm mostly a lurker here and a bumbling amateur with my Tormach series II but I added this sensor

CNC4PC

A Din5 connector and a tab on the spindle pulley and I have been threading on my mill since with no problems. Also recommend adding MachStdMill and using the Mill/Turn function been great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ewoodshop View Post
    I'm mostly a lurker here and a bumbling amateur with my Tormach series II but I added this sensor

CNC4PC

A Din5 connector and a tab on the spindle pulley and I have been threading on my mill since with no problems. Also recommend adding MachStdMill and using the Mill/Turn function been great for me.

Thank you VERY much! A place to start! I planned on buying MachStdMill once I got the sensor problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ewoodshop View Post

CNC4PC

Do you have the DIN pinout handy?

Re: Looking for info on setting up a spindle speed sensor -Tormach PCNC1100 Mill as L

ewoodshop,
    I am very interested in doing thread cutting on the 1100. What mill/turn function are you referring to? What CAM program are you using?
    Bevin

the DIN pinout is in the manual in the probe section. I'm a longtime woodworker/ Shopbotter and use VcarvePro because I'm used to it. I picked up my 1100 used about a year a for a price I couldn't pass up. It included SprutCam7 but I wanted to start cutting right away and haven't got back to learning Sprut. MachStdMill has been great for me and helped ease the learning curve a lot. I used the unlocked version of MAch3, my machine was out of warranty anyway. I do mostly one off projects with lots of tool changes and the tool table slowed me down. As an untrained machinist I like using the probe TLO touch plate much simpler for me and closer to What I'm used to with my Shopbot Router.
    Good Luck

Thanks, ewoodshop. I'm planning on using MachStdMill. First I want to see what the best options are for getting that spindle sensor. I did re-read this thread and it talked about the 4th Axis Homing kit as a possibility:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...-software.html

TorMach may not be willing to sell me a duality lathe spindle sensor because I don't own a duality lathe. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the DIN. I read through the manual and forgot that was there. (I should kick myself...I'll add that to my todo list.)

Best of luck quarky42. Using the mill as a lathe has been a blast for me lately, I've really enjoyed learning the capabilities and shocked at the accuracy and ease after blindly cranking handles on an old South Bend. Again I'm a total amateur, but I could never quite get the hang of threading by hand and frustration usually kept me away from the needed practice. My first test thread with the encoder installed came out perfect!! About fell over in shock! I turned a 1" 10tpi arbor last week so I could mount an old Atlas 3jaw I had laying around. MachStdMill has some great videos on his site for both milling and turning. I also found lots of useful info in the Mach3Turn User Guide PDF I think I downloaded it from the Mach3 forum. This forum as well has been very helpful, not much of a poster (I type with 2 fingers) but I read lots from people around here that amaze me with there talents.