585,581 active members*
4,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Loading XML File.

Could some one direct me on how to install the XML file for a Sound Logic 1.9 board. I have the file, I have dropped and expanded it in my Mach3 folder, but it currently doesn't change the configuration for my pins and port address for the board in Mach3. I have the licence and I have been trying to install this file and get it to work for over an hour. The Bob Campbell user manual states click on the Mach 2 or 3 icon, not Mach2 or 3 mill, I have Mach turn and Mach plazma but I do not see a Mach3 icon. It then speaks of a drop down box with a list of profies and to select Sound Logic. I don't see this box or know where to find it to do the selection.

Currently I am lost. If there is a link or screen shot of this it would be most welcomed.

Thanks for your help.

Ark1.

Find your mach3.exe file, Right click on it and select send to desktop or create short cut. This will place the icon on your desktop, You can also just double click the mach3.exe file and it will bring up the mach3 loader, then you should be able to select the profile.

Gary I have that icon and the drop down box but the sound logic selection isn't in that menu. My TosFN 20 Mill profile that I created is there but I know I am missing something.

I made the profile way before I got to this point of pins and ports. The Sound Logic manual is a bit lacking. I am sure once I learn how to configure a computer for CNC the 1st time it will be easy. Right now I still am stumped.

Thanks for the reply, any other thoughts?

Ark1
    TonyK.

it is possible that when you expanded the file it may have created a folder under the mach3 folder, if it did then you need to copy the xml file into you mach3 folder. When you go to your mach3 folder do you see the xml file there? does it have the .xml extension?

Gary thanks again for your replies. I will look tonight after work to see where this file has expanded to. From memory the Mach3 folder has several sub folders and I belive I saw a folder that you are speaking of. I really wish the Sound Logic would be more specific as the XML file is really a plug in compressed file once expanded I have no idea where it went to or what the file name should be. I will guess at this point that it may be Soundlogic.xml.

I suppose I could also take that compressed file and expand it into another folder then read what is in the expanded folder and then go looking for the file.

Possibly the file went into a sub folder, but I don't think that should make a difference?

Thanks for your replies and assistance.

Ark1

TonyK.

It has to be in the main mach3 folder or you will not see it in the mach3 loader

Update.

Found the file and expanded and it made a sub folder. Still would not come down in the drop down box. I then added XML to the file name and now could select in the drop down box. On the lower right hand side on the main Mach3 screen it says SoundLogic. Great, but no ports have changed assignment and I cannot change the Kernel speed. At this time I have tried to use the diagnositc screen and look for a change in status light when I install a jumper on the X limit switch contacts. No change. Parrelle port cable checks out to be straight through, however my computer is not seeing the new 2 port card. Have tried to load driver and each time comes back unsuccessful with the CD. Since this computer stands alone I am going to run a LAN cable to my internet and have it search for an updated driver. Possible this will correct the problems I am having.

Any opinions are always welcomed.

Ark1.

TonyK.

hopefully the internet will help you out but, do you know who the manufacturer of the card is? After you get the driver installed make sure you run the driver test(drivertest.exe) if that says everything is ok then fire up mach3 set your parallel port address then you should be ok. If you cannot make any changes to the setup(configuration) then go to the mach3 directory and right click on the xml file then look down near the bottom of the pop-up box select proprieties and make sure read only does not have a check mark in it, if it does click on it to clear it go back out and re-fire up mach3 and see if you can make changes then.

Not winning.

Managed to get the parallel ports to work with the computer. Now realized that with the card I now have 3 assigned. LPT 1, 2 and 3. Checked the address and on my ports and pins found address on Mach3 to be 0x378 found address on computer to be 0378 tried to change and save but each time I restarted the program it defaulted back to 0x378.

in frustration I uninstalled Mach3 and reinstalled, I now have the sound logic choice in the drop down box.

Question should this XML file set the ports and pins? Because it currently does nothing but show up in the bottom right hand corner of the main screen as Sound Logic. Also I now cannot start my computer with the BOB card connected as XP freezes and will not load past the Window XP logo page. If I unplug the D25B cable to the BOB and reboot I am fine then plug in once the computer is on the PC is fine. I have even tried enabling LPT2 and there is no difference. In the diagnostic page jumpering a home or limit does not communicate with the PC.

So 2 evenings latter I am no where other than getting 2 LPT ports configured and knowing my way around a menu or two.

Sinking fast here, just don't know what I am over looking. By trade I am an electrician, but have not worked with CNC drives or programs.

Any help is very much needed.

Thanks.

Ark1

TonyK.

Ports no, pins yes, some, they do not know anything about your setup, so the basic ones will be set. I have never used one of these boards but they are all basically a-like. Do you actually have three ports? or two? I have one computer that does the same thng as your does when booting, so no problem with it hanging in my opinion just leave it unplugged till it boots. Is the port set to EPP mode? is it possible to set it to EPP mode? did you try some of the other port mappings? Once you make what ever changes you want to make there is an option at the bottom of the same drop down for saving your settings, Also the pin setting for your limit may not be the way you wired it, when you look at your pins for your limits make sure they are enabled, Do you know how to attach files to you message? if so attach you mxl and I will take a look at it and see if I can see any problems with it.

What is EPP Mode?

Not sure what that term means.

Currently I installed another LPT board because I also have a Rodgers DRO board so that in the final stage I could use the Mill in manual mode and have a DRO. Currently the DRO board is mounted but I am going to push that back a bit until I have some progress here. Like getting the Sound Logic board to work as it should with Mach3.

At the present time the machine controller back board is in the basement where it is warmer and I can to the set up and testing. ( Live in Canada near Niagara Falls) Limit switch testing is only jumping the 2 connections on the board to see if the status light changes on the diagnostic screen. Once obtained then testing to prove the terminal wiring would be next. Not even close to that.

I might remove the 2 port card for now and see if that helps. Possibly there is a conflict with the board and my PC. It will be a few days before I can get back to this as my son ran into a parked car and I have the once side of my Dodge truck to repair. If I get the chance to try anything else I will post my progress.

Oh, the XML file you wanted to look at, the sound logic one? Lots of lines of code, personally I don't think it is loading in Mach3. I have sent an email to Bob Cullens of Sound Logic. Possilby there is a bug I need to know about as this board is the most recent release.

Here are a few pictures of my conversion.

Thanks so much for your time.

Ark1

TonyK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_0861.JPG   SAM_0862.JPG   SAM_0854.jpg  

Ark1

Do you have the Estop wired,or a jumper will do for temp, if not nothing will work, untill the Estop is connected
    Mactec54

Current Status

Bob Campbell has asked some questions and I have sent him the answers.

The EPO is jumpered for testing but when opened the EPO LED does not come on. A relay can be heard clicking with change in status. Currently all step and direction LED's are lit at all times.

Here are some screen shots.

Thanks for your help.

Ark1

TonyK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_0865.jpg   SAM_0866.jpg   SAM_0867.jpg   SAM_0868.jpg  

SAM_0869.jpg   SAM_0870.jpg  

Ark1

You need to assign the port # & pin number for each thing you are trying to activate

The E-Stop has no port or pin assigned, & nothing will happen untill these are all correct
    Mactec54

Progress maybe.

Bob Campbell has emailed me a new XML file and the pin assignments now show in all screens. This is progress.

Next problem with the computer off all step and direction LED's are lit and a relay is chattering. Also the EPO LED is always off with the terminals jumpered or open.

I am thinking I may have a bad board, but have no way of confirming.

See picture of LED's lit computer off line and just the Break Out Board powered up.

Ark1

TonyK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_0874.jpg  

Solution Found

Up and working.

Being new to all of this is an eye opener and when I was in the trade as an apprentice the term The Blind leading the Stupid certainly applies here.

Since I was using a stand alone computer without internet connection I copied the Mach3 folder from my home PC to the stand alone using a flash drive.

The issue here is that the flash drive does not initiate a correct install and the LPT port drivers are not installed. Although seen in the windows control panel as being active the port will not communicate with Mach3. I rang out 4 printer cables all proving good to get no where. The Mach3 manual should say somewhere that the installation of the program must be done through internet connection.

One other point was that the Mode jumper for Mach3 on the BOB must not be set at N1. The BOB manual makes mention of this on the following page of the check list. As a new comer I start at step one then continue to step 2, if step 2 isn't working I don't go to step 9 looking for the answer. The symtom for wrong mode is that all step and direction LED's will be lit when the board is powered up and will not go out.

The XML file was corrupt and the new one sent to me from Bob Campbell of Sound Lodgic corrected the problem of pin and port configuration. The Mach3 manual suggests that the printer cable could be the problem as not being straight through but then states that if jumpering a limit switch terminal on the board does not produce a change in status on the diagnositics screen you will have to find out why. It is the why that has consumed about 16 hours of trial and error to get past this problem. Live and learn.

Thanks to all that have responded to this thread in effort to resolve my problem.

Ark1

TonyK.

Ark1

Thats great you have it all going, there must be something up with how you down loaded Mach to your flash drive, as I have done it many time this way, the flash drives normally work just fine,& I have never used a Internet connection to down load Mach to the control computer, always just a flash drive
    Mactec54

Re: Loading XML File.

does anyone have the Campbell xml file? I tried emailing him that his file server site is down and I need the xml but I got no response.

Re: Loading XML File.

Could you PM me?

I have a file. Last year I tried to installed their DRO board when I use my mill in manual but ran into problems. There was no support. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the file, so if you contact me through Personal Email I will send it to you.

Ark1