585,589 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LMS SX2 Build progress

Quick update,

Few major assemblies. Below is the column brace. I am using a 2" spacer under the column if that rings a bell. Opted to make a column brace. Turns out the deflection is 20x less with 2" spacer when using the 1/2" brace than the mill is as it comes from the factory with no spacer or brace. Deflection is measures at .001 now with the Z axis and having 2" more travel. Twist it not noticeable/measurable by me at least. It uses sixteen 3/8"-24 bolts to bolt it to the column. I surfaced the face that sits against the column with a 2.5" face mill on a Bridgeport. The mount foot not shown offers rotational as well as forward/back and side to side angle play. Bolting it without moving the column is the trick but I think I know how I can do it. Just takes several iterations and lots of time and measuring. We'll see.

You can see I have the one shot oilier and manifolds for the oil and air hanging off that as well. The mill will be oiled both X and Y axis as well as the X and Y ball screws. Will be manual oiling.

Mock up of the pneumatic draw bar, it compresses 6 bellvile washers at 75psi. Once all set up I'll have the parts re-cut with a water jet.

Using Leaded brass gibs that are countersunk and gib screws are now hex head bolts with lots of contact can see them in the pic. The gib profile is now more like the old Emco gib profile. You can see the new hex head gib adjusters as well as one of the fittings for the saddle. There are more on the rear side as well. Took lots of thought, not much room for oiling and under the saddle was even tighter. I worked it out though. Got the cncfusion kit in a drawer and made an additional 1/4" spacer plate for the Y axis as to go with it.

Some of the tooling, got a drawer full as well as the 2" steel column spacer block and granite surface plate. No Chinese end mills, all of the end mills are OSG, Niagara, Weldon, Kennametal or what not. About 50% are carbide, got a drawer full of all kinds of spares and sizes ranging from 1/8" to 3/4".

CNC enclosure so far, getting close to powder coating it. That's a 3/4" steel plate the mill base bolts to in the enclosure. Got a small 700 lumen LED light for inside the cabinet that I'll be mounting as well and I'll be welding in rails for the computing power hanging under the enclosure. After all that I will set up the mill in the enclosure and assemble it with the CNC fusion stuff and spend lots of time squaring the mill. I already squared the head to the the column with shims between the 2 spindle housing parts using 3/4 drill rod.

Re: LMS SX2 Build progress

looking forward to seeing how this turns out

I designed this weekend a Cover for my Mill ... like a small Bridgeport -

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

added rails to mount black boxes under hte cabinet for electrinics, enclosure and back bracce is at powdercoater currently getting a light grey/cream gloss finish to reflect light and allow good contrast with the mill. 2 weeks.

Great looking cabinet/enclosure. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Thanks for the posts.

Ordered gecko based setup today. Hopefully it all lands along with the powder coated cabinet next week. Then I need to water jet the plexi glass and move forward.

Enclosure so far...

Nice work. I see you have a cycle as well

Ahhh yes that is right, you can see that build here -> My SX650 Scratch Bobber build - XS650 Forum

Very impressive nice work . I take it your a welder by trade ?

I like how you went with a ridged and added the shock under the seat . Also what size venom is that ?

anyways back on topic

Got any more pics or info on the oiler system? Want to do this too soon. Nice. Build

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Not a welder no, I am an IT director at fortune 500 financial services company.
    That is a 230 Venom rear. Not too bit, not too small.
    Shock is a Fox air/Hydraulic RP2 shock with adjustable compression and rebound.
    Pics of the oilier system will be coming yes. Still waiting or my electronics parts to start final assembly. Never seen an oilier done on an X2.

Enclosure looks awesome!

Washington state

The electronics will be relocated to the back of the support column, got it mounted grounded and it tested fine.

Added few pics of the oil passages that were asked about, basically the saddle, not much to see, drill holes, mill passageway, about it really. Not sure why it is not done more. I'll be running 20wt motor oil.

gotcha . both are nice builds