585,748 active members*
3,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Leadshine Easy servo drive connection problems

Leadshine Easy servo drive connection problems

Hello, i am currently designing a peice of equipment which uses stepper motors. I Purchased a Leadshine Easyservo Drive (ES-D508) , power supply and motor to do some tests to see if the motor which i had selected was the correct unit for the job. I am trying to use the Lead shine Protuner software to evaluate this, however i cannot get the Drive to communicate with my computer. I started of using a serial USB convertor (which i tested working using a 3d digitising arm) but this didnt work so i bought a serial drive card and installed this onto my pc. i still dont get a connection. I have tried setting this up an an number on laptops and PC's (using xp, windows 7 and windows 8) and have not got a connection. I have got the coms cable wiring diagram which i have checked against the cable which is correct. the drive works as the test function switch turns the motor. I even sent the equipment back to the supplier and they say they tested it and everything worked. If anyone has any solutions i would be gratefull for advice.

Thanks James

Re: Leadshine Easy servo drive connection problems

I setup some Leadshine brushless drives and had the same problem. The "Pro"tuner program wouldnt connect reliably, and then sometimes it finally would. (with no indication you were connected)
    Also the program doesn't show live data, its a real mess. There is a Tab when you set movement parameters, then the motor does a little dance, then the graph displays data slowly across the screen . I got the motors sort of tuned, but they did dither a bit and were a bit soft. The current limit didn't seem to have an effect and i couldn't get the motor to trip if the machine hit an overtravel.
    There also seemed to be no way of reading the parameters from a programmed drive.

Try turning the motor power on and off while its suppose to be connecting (although there is no indication of whats going on.) , that seemed to make it connect. btw, i was using XP

Did anyone try the USB cable from Leadshine or did they make their own? I have some stepper drives that I haven't been able to connect to. It almost does sometimes but I've never really gotten them to work. I made my own and it's only 3 wires...shouldn't be this hard. I've been going back and forth with Leadshine techs and they said it should be easy. Not sure if my computer is at fault or if tis the program. I might order the USB cable from them tonight. It's only like $20. I really want to be able to tune out some resonance issues I'm having.

Was it a USB or RS232 ? The one i setup was RS232 .

Mine was rs232 but they make a USB to rs232 and then a rs232 to rj11 adapter. Not sure if it really makes a difference as long as you do it right....just easier I guess. I'm playin. with mine now and its telling me my com port is in use. I don't know why they just didn't use a USB or cat5.