586,022 active members*
3,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Lead-Ins Don't Respect Boundary
Page 1 of 2 12

Lead-Ins Don't Respect Boundary

Hello again,

BC for SolidWorks V4: I’m trying to confine a 3-axis feature to a certain area, but the lead-ins don’t seem to obey. I’ve tried both ramp and spiral, and they’ll both wind up outside the boundary. Is this normal? Is there any way to control it?

Thanks!
    Tom

Re: Lead-Ins Don't Respect Boundary

If this is an internal 3D feature then try extending the surfaces to be machined up in the Z to a level that is higher than the height you have set for feed rate start, then set the boundary to the new height and under parameters set the top of job to 0.00.

For an external 3D you may need to create a "wall" surface for the boundary to keep the tool inside, or it could simply be that your tool is too big to stay inside the area to be machined or the ramps/spirals are too big.

Uploading a BobCAD file (Zipped) will make it way easier for folks to help, otherwise it`s a case of just surmising as above

I don't have V4 (I think I have a demo version) but in V26 it is normal for the leadins/leadouts to end up outside the boundary depending on the situation. It is desirable for me in many situations as it is easier and quicker to extract edges from the model "as is" for a boundary but still allow the tool to come off of the part. This isn't an exact example of that situation but you can see that using a "Parallel" leadin/leadout will allow my tool to go ahead and drift past the boundary so it can slow down before coming to a dead stop (I'm running at a moderately high feedrate and have tweeked the control to increase the "ramp" distance). The same is happening on the leadin side.

Attachment 277844

The boundary is in pink there.

I think Rob has the best suggestion of "walling" in the toolpath if you need to keep it out of a certain area. He also brings up a good point about the parameters of the leadins and tooling you are using. But unless I am mistaken this is expected behavior. I do believe the leadins on 3D toolpath obey surface geometry that lies outside the boundary. That is why it is often useful (but not always necassary) to select the entire part for your "Geometry" even if you are using a boundary.

Thanks guys. I actually ran into this problem a while back and managed to come up with a workaround that wasn't ideal. Now I can't remember what combination of strategy and parameters caused the problem, otherwise I'd include the SW file or at least some screen shots of the problematic toolpaths. I'll be the first to admit that I must have some misconceptions about what BC should be doing in some situations (I just ordered training videos, so hopefully that will cure some ignorance), but my understanding was that you should be able to sketch a boundary to protect fixturing components from tool crashes (in this case, the vise jaws). Sounds like these boundaries are not inviolate, though. How exactly does BC use the boundaries then? If you need to create additional geometry to create keep-out areas, do you then have to select individual surfaces for 3D features instead of "whole bodies?"

At any rate, here's a screen shot of the setup. There was plenty of room inside the boudary for the spiral and zig-zag lead-ins I was trying to get, but it kept putting them way outside. Hopefully the videos will better educate me on how to use boudaries.

Attachment 277860

First of all it isn`t Solidworks file that is needed, it`s the BobCAD .bccd file that does all the toolpathing and code generating, SW is only a drawing software, it has nothing to do with CNC machining.
    So please upload the .bccd file (Zipped) and someone will take a look at it, we should be able to re-set your strategy/feature parameters for you so you can have a working example to refer to

Secondly it may be just me and/or the perspective but the image looks like a simple 2D job ? ? ? If so then a simple pocket with the C shape as an island would do the job no problem

Thirdly it looks very much as though the boundary (Reverse D shape) is level with bottom of the C shaped piece, if so then it should be at least the same height if not a little higher, having a boundary that is lower than where you are machining won`t contain anything

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    First of all it isn`t Solidworks file that is needed, it`s the BobCAD .bccd file that does all the toolpathing and code generating, SW is only a drawing software, it has nothing to do with CNC machining.
    0n the contrary, he is using BobCAM for Solidworks plugin. All toolpath info is within the SW file.

Try including the clamps and fixturing in you stock definition. I think you can select multiple bodies otherwise you might have to do som direct editing in Solidworks to merge multiple solid bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    0n the contrary, he is using BobCAM for Solidworks plugin. All toolpath info is within the SW file.
    Really ? Unless things have changed radically why is it then that once the drawing is opened in the BobCAD environment the Solidworks environment containing the model should be closed as there are can be conflicts ?
    Pretty sure that sending us a .SLDPRT file won`t contain anything other than the model

Try including the clamps and fixturing in you stock definition. I think you can select multiple bodies otherwise you might have to do som direct editing in Solidworks to merge multiple solid bodies.
    Sorry, this will help with his boundary issue how ?

Regards
    Rob

???

OP,upload a file(.bbcd)..I am sure we can figure out something to your liking.There is a lot of choices to choose from.And there are a lot of tips and tricks that the forum members know.

He's using Bobcad for Solidworks, take a look.

BobCAM for SolidWorks | CNC Machining Software | CAD CAM | BobCAD-CAM

Mark

Take a look at this video, looks fully integrated to me. HMS works and visualmill for solidworks store tool paths in the solidworks files, I assumed Bobcad for solidworks does the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdswxmvOwI#t=95
    Mark

Bobcad cam offers both a stand alone and integrated cam package for solidworks. The op is using bobcam v4 which runs in solidworks so his file with all the tools paths is the sldprt file.

The best bet to help him if you dont have bobcam would be for the op to post some screen shots.

As far as a 3d toolpath with a boundary. what toolpath are you using .

I am sure there is a simple solution to resolve your problem.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Bobcad cam offers both a stand alone and integrated cam package for solidworks. The op is using bobcam v4 which runs in solidworks so his file with all the tools paths is the sldprt file.
    Al

Surely the .sldprt file will be openable in BobCAD ?
    I open .sldprt files from customers regularly and use the models therein to create toolpaths from and I don`t have Solidworks/V4 to do it with so should be able to create a toolpath from the model for the OP and guide him along the right "path"

Or even a .step or .iges format file which I also get regularly and which I would expect V4 to be able to save out would supply the model and then anyone with BobCAD V** Pro should be able to provide a toolpath/machining strategy ? ? ?

Would seem very odd to me if the Solidworks/Bobcad V4 combination is not able to save out files in the formats mentioned above, if that`s true then how would it be possible for say a customer and the machinist to swap files ? ?

I often have to make small mods to customers models and I can usually do this within BobCAD, a little slow but do-able mostly with a little ingenuity and sent back for confirmation as (Usually) a .step file.

If that`s not possible with BobCAD V4 then to me IMHO it is only of use "in house" to folks that are just doing their own designs through to machining which makes it a bit limited for general use ? ? Is this correct ? ? ?

Hmmm, think I`ll just stick with my trusty old V26 Pro

I do have access to a PC with Solidworks on it but it may be an older version so what version of SW will BobCAM V4 work with before I go downloading the V4 Demo ? ? ?

Before I get too confused

Regards
    Rob

You would be able to open the sldprt file but you probably will not get the boundary curves, I don't think you'll get them if he exports as stp/igs either. Maybe need to have a dxf of the boundaries he's using as well and screen grabs of how the Feature Options are set up.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by hughesbros View Post
    You would be able to open the sldprt file but you probably will not get the boundary curves, I don't think you'll get them if he exports as stp/igs either. Maybe need to have a dxf of the boundaries he's using as well and screen grabs of how the Feature Options are set up.

Mark
    Only need the model and stock solid, easy enough to create whatever boundary is required to to the job, we already know his boundary doesn`t work so not much point there.

Anyway, it all seems to be academic, unles the OP joins back in with some files then nothing anyone can do so it doesn`t matter what you, I or anyone else says the exercise has become pretty pointless without the OP

Why people do things like this is beyond me, ask for help and then just leave it hanging, if they have solved it themselves then why not say so ? ? ?

Regards
    Rob

Just a thought if the Solidworks version supports "Save Feature" he could upload the .bcom file with the .sldprt file, at least we'd have a bit more idea what he's doing.
    Attachment 278112

Hopefully he'll be back to us workaholics on Monday

Mark.

Yes, that could work as well, more than one way to get it done.

We may as well do the same and have the rest of the weekend off, might as well get on and finish my VAT

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Yes, that could work as well, more than one way to get it done.

We may as well do the same and have the rest of the weekend off

Took yesterday off,,job due tomorrow,,got to work today

Page 1 of 2 12