585,764 active members*
4,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe with Turret and Enclosure $16250

Not nearly as expensive as I feared.

Tormach said originally that the fully kitted lathe would run about $19k.

That make $16k a very reasonable price, IMHO. Maybe the original $19k target included a pneumatic closure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tormach Lathe Insider
    No specifics numbers on pricing yet, but we’re estimating a simple configuration on the lathe will be slightly above $10,000 and a lathe with lots of options and full enclosure might be around $19,000. Tormach Lathe Update: Winter 2014
    34444-T - 15L Slant-PRO

No catalog entry yet for the turret only, but since the Lathe+Full enclosure costs $13040, that would make the turret a $3210 option.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Re: Lathe with Turret and Enclosure $16250

So close yet so far away. Still waiting on the catalog entry for just the turret, for those of us who bought machines already without them.

I bet if you called them, they would quote you a price for the turret (and full enclosure).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Not nearly as expensive as I feared.

Tormach said originally that the fully kitted lathe would run about $19k.

That make $16k a very reasonable price, IMHO.
    That was my thought as well; sure we're not missing something. If I read the lathe page correctly it looks like the lathe (in any form) comes with the controller, too. Sure wish that I had not procrastinated on making room for it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Sure wish that I had not procrastinated on making room for it.
    Always a mistake to buy more machinery before you have allocated space.

I end up having to move machines out of the way so I can move other machines, so I can move the gantry crane around, and then move some more machines.

Sort of like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Square_Puzzle.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	261788

Another way to look at the turret is to consider that if you wanted to mount 8 tools with gang tooling, it would cost you about $940 for all the pieces and parts. That makes the turret sound more affordable.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I end up having to move machines out of the way so I can move other machines, so I can move the gantry crane around, and then move some more machines.
    Another way to look at the turret is to consider that if you wanted to mount 8 tools with gang tooling, it would cost you about $940 for all the pieces and parts. That makes the turret sound more affordable.
    I'm close to that now but selling off my Clausing horizontal mill and Rhodes shaper/slotter should make enough room.

Good point about the turret tool replacing gang tools and I'm guessing that interference between stock/chuck and turret tools will be less of an issue than with gang tooling. I'm also thinking that the QCTP would be a desirable addition to the tooling collection.

Mike

$16,459 with lifting kit.
    Freight Carrier: 2232.5 lbs - Freight Quotation Required. YIKES!!
    Add a few hundred more for shipping.
    That seems a little Pricey for what it is. (3 HP spindle ?)
    For $17,000 I'd seriously consider a used HAAS SL-10, a Mori Seiki CL-15. or some similar (small) CNC Lathe with more horsepower and bigger swing.

if it comes with full service and backup that prices cant be to bad but yes a bigger motor makes things a bit better
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm close to that now but selling off my Clausing horizontal mill and Rhodes shaper/slotter should make enough room.

Good point about the turret tool replacing gang tools and I'm guessing that interference between stock/chuck and turret tools will be less of an issue than with gang tooling. I'm also thinking that the QCTP would be a desirable addition to the tooling collection.

Mike

I run all the dedicated power, air, vac lines and ready for moving one into place.
    Looking like the design has matured and my list of excuses for not placing order is getting shorter every day.

Vacuum lines? Please elaborate.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I run all the dedicated power, air, vac lines and ready for moving one into place.
    Looking like the design has matured and my list of excuses for not placing order is getting shorter every day.
    I was forgetting power and compressed air, but those shouldn't be too bad. Getting it into the basement will be harder than the mill was but I've budgeted for riggers this time. Winter in Chicago is not the ideal time of year for that.

Mike

I have a dust/cleanup vac located outside the shop for cleanup. I mostly wanted 2 complete machine locations so I could have option of placing either a mill or lathe in either location or move as desired and hook up in minutes. Im betting your asking about vacuum lines for a vacuum table or fixtures. I also plan to run those to both locations because I plan on a vac pump also located with the air compressor and dust collector. Both of these locations are along one wall and I have a 400 lb trolley crane installed at ceiling to move fixtures / chucks whatever between these work areas and the benches and storage. Trying to get the most out of my small space by keeping the tools efficient, noise makers outside the shop area and materials stored elsewhere. I find more motivation if shop is organized and clean, stumbling around over cords, messes and tools is dangerous for me and looking for tools to complete task is no fun at all.
    md

I have a dust/cleanup vac located outside the shop for cleanup... Im betting your asking about vacuum lines for a vacuum table or fixtures.
    Actually I was asking above dust/cleanup vacuum. I was interested in knowing how you implemented it.

I am just using a shopvac parked beside the mill right now. I would like something a bit more powerful.... I have a HF 2 hp dust collector I use for wood working, and that would work way better... but I don't think it would survive the metal impingement on the impeller blades. Probably something set up with a cyclone separator would work better....but I think the 16 gauge cyclone barrel also wouldn't be happy in the long run.

Attachment 262080
    Tim

I am using a Dust Deputy vortex separator in front of my shop vac.http://www.oneida-air.com/category.asp?Id={CC6B6F2A-E3D7-4F18-A53C-B5C357DFE131}#dd No need to replace the shop vac filter ever again.

Don C.

Great idea, Don. Hadn't thought about one of this little separators. And if the barrel gets worn out over time from impingement, it is not quite as expensive to replace as the full size cyclones. Plus, since metal filings are heavier than sawdust, the little cyclone probably does all you need.

I wonder if it would work well to hook this:

Name:	industrial-steel-dust-deputy-deluxe.jpg 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	262098

Up to something like this:
    Attachment 262094

The advantage would be that the little dust collector has an induction motor, which isn't quite as screaming of an annoyance as the universal motor on a vacuum cleaner.

OTO, Paul Thien's dust separator lid might be a cheaper way to achieve the same thing (although without the sexy powder coat job):

Name:	cypro3.jpg 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	262100
    J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g0443-24c6d419f8102643e1fb07fcd73b1506.jpg  
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I am using a Dust Deputy vortex separator in front of my shop vac.http://www.oneida-air.com/category.asp?Id={CC6B6F2A-E3D7-4F18-A53C-B5C357DFE131}#dd No need to replace the shop vac filter ever again.

Don C.
    +1 - works pretty well with a Fein shop vacuum, though stringy swarf tends to block the hose. Very, very little swarf makes it into the shop vac.

Mike

+1 - works pretty well with a Fein shop vacuum, though stringy swarf tends to block the hose. Very, very little swarf makes it into the shop vac.

Mike
    I picked up a separator from grizzly when I ordered some dust collector parts and installed next to mill. Works great and get most the swarf.

Mike
    I wad up a couple paper towels and send it thru hose as a "plug cleaner " also picks up some of the coolant moisture and way oils. I do empty this and clean it regularly. I don't know if its a fire hazard but it looks like one.

I picked up a separator from grizzly when I ordered some dust collector parts and installed next to mill. Works great and get most the swarf.

Mike
    I wad up a couple paper towels and send it thru hose as a "plug cleaner " also picks up some of the coolant moisture and way oils. I do empty this and clean it regularly. I don't know if its a fire hazard but it looks like one.
    Thanks - good idea. I have some large Kimwipes that are light and absorbent and should do a good job.

Mike