586,000 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe Recommendation?

I'm thinking about buying a new lathe. I've had, effectively, a Sieg C6 (actually, the lathe part of a G0516) for almost 15 years, but I'd like something a little beefier.

Grizzly has the G0602/G0752, as well as the G9972Z.

What other good options are out there?

Having at least the mechanical parts available to do a CNC conversion would also be of value, as I will likely want to do that at some point. The G06602 is the only one I know of for which these parts are available. Are there others?

I'm also baffled by the way most/all of these lathes, though they have quick-change gearboxes, also require swapping out change gears to do different thread pitches. Isn't there anything out there that will at least do standard Imperial threads WITHOUT swapping change gears? That is the one thing I MOST hate doing on my current lathe.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: Lathe Recommendation?

Ray,

I've got a 11X24 Logan that will cut 40 imperial threads ranging between 8 & 224 without swapping gears .. changing 1 gear it cuts down to 4tpi.
    The 'Old American Iron' has good & bad points for sure, but I would choose my 60 yr old lathe over any of the common variety Chinese tools of similar size any day!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    Ray,

I've got a 11X24 Logan that will cut 40 imperial threads ranging between 8 & 224 without swapping gears .. changing 1 gear it cuts down to 4tpi.
    The 'Old American Iron' has good & bad points for sure, but I would choose my 60 yr old lathe over any of the common variety Chinese tools of similar size any day!

Gary
    Gary,

That's how it should be! Seems to me, any lathe designed to require both just to go from 20-24TPI was poorly designed! I don't understand why they make them like that! Looking at the Grizzly's, they ALL seem to require shifting gears AND swapping change gears for almost any pitch change. What good is the gearbox?

A friend of mine has an old Logan he may be getting rid of. I do plan to take a look at it. It's the right size, and seems in very good condition.

Regards,
    Ray L.

seriously you can't understand why? money that's why. if you want a lathe with a full gearbox spend twice as much money. some have partial gearboxes like the grizzly you mentioned, you can get a small range of pitches by merely twisting the knobs. if your end game is cnc is makes little sense to get a lathe with a complete gearbox now doesn't it.

If you plan an Cnc convert the thread Issue is gone you can do it any time as in my Case i have a lathe which can do Cnc and still Works verry Good Manual but yes sometimes i have to Shift Gears if i manually Cut. But honestly this is less and less because i am verry fast in Programming ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk