585,663 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser in the garage over the winter... Antifreeze?

Hey,

I recently picked up a 40W Chinese CO2 laser cutter, which I'm currently using in my attached garage (I have good ventilation out there). We're coming up on the winter months, and though it doesn't get extremely cold here (Virginia, USA), it does get below freezing outside, and my garage may dip below freezing on occasion. I'm worried about my water freezing and cracking the laser tube. What do you guys do about keeping your laser tubes from freezing in the winter? Surely not everyone has a climate controlled workshop, right?

Is it safe to add a bit of antifreeze to the water? I was thinking about using a 50/50 mix of Propylene Glycol antifreeze, like Sierra ( PEAK | SIERRA | Antifreeze / Coolants | Auto Products ). I guess the other options are blowing out all the water from the tube... or moving the whole thing inside (in which case, it'll basically never get used this winter).

Is there anything else I need to consider regarding the laser in the winter (is it okay to run while cold, or do I need to warm it up first, etc)? I'm familiar with the precautions of using electronics in the cold... but CO2 laser tubes are new to me.

Thanks,
    Pat

Re: Laser in the garage over the winter... Antifreeze?

Hi Pat

the best temperature for laser tube is about 25 degree.

add the antifreeze to the water is not suggest. it will affect the laser quatlity.

if possible, blowing out all the water from the tube, or moving the whole thing inside, at least put the water pump or chiller in the warm room

Abby
    www.wklaser.com [email protected] SKYPE: cyosusu
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/people/Cuicui-Zhang/100005165685762

Hi Pat
    We had old customers add antifreeze to the water before,
    it should be ok,
    Basically you can use either(RV or Automobile),
    and he recommend RV since it's not poisonous.
    www.thunderlaser.com

I am using RV antifreeze in mine

A little antifreeze is OK. Many customers do like this. Seem no problem.
    G.Weike Laser
    [email protected] [email protected] skype:melody.gweike

Use vodka lol

Great, thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Use vodka lol
    Ha! Finally, a use for the Vodka my dad leaves in the fridge every time he visits. :-P

Thanks,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DogP View Post
    Hey,I recently picked up a 40W Chinese CO2 laser cutter, which I'm currently using in my attached garage (I have good ventilation out there). We're coming up on the winter months, and though it doesn't get extremely cold here (Virginia, USA), it does get below freezing outside, and my garage may dip below freezing on occasion. I'm worried about my water freezing and cracking the laser tube. What do you guys do about keeping your laser tubes from freezing in the winter? Surely not everyone has a climate controlled workshop, right?
    Over and over the same. Every year.
    You should read this forum before you post another question that was ansvered dozens of times before.
    YES, you may use antifreeze.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

As far as I am concerned, you can ask ANY question ANY time that you feel necessary. This is a forum for those of us who own a laser cutter/engraver. If we can not answer questions, either one previously posted or a new one, then there is no need for a forum. Such a simple thing to get negative about.

Milt

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    As far as I am concerned, you can ask ANY question ANY time that you feel necessary. This is a forum for those of us who own a laser cutter/engraver. If we can not answer questions, either one previously posted or a new one, then there is no need for a forum. Such a simple thing to get negative about.

Milt
    Thanks for saying that I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Over and over the same. Every year.
    Hmm... happens every year, like something else, right? Oh yes... Winter!

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    Thanks... I was hoping that I wasn't the only one that felt the criticism was unnecessary.

While I don't read every post on these forums every day, I certainly do try to do my research when I'm unsure of something, because there is a lot of good information already out there. But I do post if I'm looking for clarification. In this case, I had come across several posts talking about antifreeze, and had seen several varying opinions and information. Some saying that they add just a bit to prevent bacteria... others saying their kW instructions said not to use it because it may clog to lines, others saying that it may affect the operation of the laser, and some saying EG is better than PG, except being poisonous. I'm still new to laser cutters, so I was looking for advice regarding my specific setup.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I've been running RV antifreeze for a couple weeks with no noticeable problems. I've done a few other mods to my unit as well, so I've been sorta keeping a log with pictures/info of my setup on my website: 40W CO2 Laser Cutter/Engraver .

Thanks again for the help!

Pat

FYI, I have my laser inside and I use a mixture of water and RV anti-freeze. It keeps algae from forming.

Well Said Sir!